Fish baits for different species

6 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Yes, as it happens...

2PHutzH.jpg

It is generally accepted that when using a circle hook, for it to work as it should, then the bait MUST be below the hook.

The same can be said for carp fishing where the hook is designed to turn as the fish blows the bait, again, for it to work the bait must be below the hook, i.e. hair rig.

The only way to get a large bait below a medium sized circle is to hair rig,  and there are a variety of methods.  Usually I tie a simple hair, often using a small solid ring, but it comes easy to me as I have fished for carp over 50 years (since the late 60's).

'Billy fishing' in Norway has a very good example of how this is done with big fish and worm baits ..... look at 3:17 onwards, although the whole clip is a worthy watch, as are most of his video's

Edited by GPSguru

12 hours ago, GPSguru said:

It is generally accepted that when using a circle hook, for it to work as it should, then the bait MUST be below the hook.

The same can be said for carp fishing where the hook is designed to turn as the fish blows the bait, again, for it to work the bait must be below the hook, i.e. hair rig.

The only way to get a large bait below a medium sized circle is to hair rig,  and there are a variety of methods.  Usually I tie a simple hair, often using a small solid ring, but it comes easy to me as I have fished for carp over 50 years (since the late 60's).

'Billy fishing' in Norway has a very good example of how this is done with big fish and worm baits ..... look at 3:17 onwards, although the whole clip is a worthy watch, as are most of his video's

I enjoyed that. He's quite engaging to watch. Thanks for sharing.

15 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Uh oh…. We got a carp fisherman…. At least this one saw the light and bought a boat to do real fishing 😉 

Guess it goes to show you can never tell what dirty little secrets people have in their closets. Weekend transvestite, adult baby cosplay, carp angler. 🤷‍♂️

33 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Uh oh…. We got a carp fisherman…. At least this one saw the light and bought a boat to do real fishing 😉 

I was fishing for carp and Tench long before it became a fashion statement ! 

For many years now, I only fish for Carp in the rivers of France, and I also seek out private hidden lakes in France that have not seen a rod and line in years. The last time I fished a French river was 2016.

No, I am not your fashion statement camo carp angler !

30 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

For many years now, I only fish for Carp in the rivers of France, and I also seek out private hidden lakes in France that have not seen a rod and line in years. The last time I fished a French river was 2016.

I am your fashion statement camp carp angler !

FTFY Ian

37 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

No, I am not your fashion statement camo carp angler !

It’s just an excuse for people to go and make a den and sit there smoking weed all night. 

38 minutes ago, JonC said:

It’s just an excuse for people to go and make a den and sit there smoking weed all night. 

I cant remember the last time I did an all night session, probably 30 years ago !, Although I did spend a week at lake St Christopher in France with my son in 2009.

On 4/8/2022 at 12:30 PM, JonC said:

Camouflage buckets and bivi socks? Wtf

Ah, but that is the fashion Carp angler.......... all the gear and no feck'in idea.

The worst of the worst are the clowns that line up their rods to the millimeter and then make sure all the reel handles are in an identical position ............ ffs

11 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Ah, but that is the fashion Carp angler.......... all the gear and no feck'in idea.

The worst of the worst are the clowns that line up their rods to the millimeter and then make sure all the reel handles are in an identical position ............ ffs

I’ve only ever had a couple of matching pairs of rods, and when I’ve used them I’ve found it irritating because I forget which one was last baited and so on to the point that I put coloured tape on one to recognise which is which. 
I don’t figure that matters in carp fishing on the basis that you cast out and sit in your den for 4 days until your beepers go off or you run out of skunk weed. 

34 minutes ago, JonC said:

I don’t figure that matters in carp fishing on the basis that you cast out and sit in your den for 4 days until your beepers go off or you run out of skunk weed.

That is what makes me smile about the carp fanatics !

All the action is usually around dusk till midnight and again at first light until just after sunrise.

I can assure that short sessions are far more fruitful and rewarding than going on a major camping expedition !

When I rent a property in France with its own lake or riverside, I don't even need to stay near the rods, as my alarms are wireless, the reels are Ultegra 5500 baitrunner spools, and the rods are secured with rod butt clips. However, I did get a surprise one night when a Coypu took the bait ! ....... they are regarded as a pest in France and grow to quite a large size.