Garmin Navionics Vision+

If it's like the regular Navionics "subscription" for non-Garmin units, then it's not really a subscription service at all. It's just one-off fee, with free updates within that 12 month period. No rolling contract or auto-renewal. What I've done is buy a chart card then let the "subscription" expire - the card still works just like it always did - if I ever need/want to change map areas or get chart updates I'll renew the card as needed.

45 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

If it's like the regular Navionics "subscription" for non-Garmin units, then it's not really a subscription service at all. It's just one-off fee, with free updates within that 12 month period. No rolling contract or auto-renewal. What I've done is buy a chart card then let the "subscription" expire - the card still works just like it always did - if I ever need/want to change map areas or get chart updates I'll renew the card as needed.

Ok got it. I got a 50% off code emailed to me so just wondered if it's worth the extra dosh. 

Im using Garmin G3 vision in my Garmin unit and Camp reveal in my simrad, both much the same and both fantastic detail of the sea floor. Offshore canyons and the continental shelf drop off are better with the G3 vision.

The files or tiles as they call them are pretty huge, most need downloading individual tiles as they are simply to being to get on a card. I upload them to my phone then share over to my onboard units.

I would imagine the UK waters would be completely scanned, showing every detail around the coast.

You also need to then go through the menus to turn those charts on.

Slightly off topic, but not as far as I’ve been previously,everybody’s favourite Northern you tube fishing guy put up a video about using his panoptix with the latest charts.

34 minutes ago, JonC said:

Slightly off topic, but not as far as I’ve been previously,everybody’s favourite Northern you tube fishing guy put up a video about using his panoptix with the latest charts.

Any chance you can re do it for us Jon so we don't have to listen to the other bloke? 

I don't think that's a very good promotion of panoptics. The p30 Panoptics transducer that I use clearly shows small soft plastic's falling and individual fish swim and take lures (even very small fish). Live baits and downrigger baits are also clear to view and make fishing so much fun and quick to see what's lures are working and which ones only get looked at. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I got my bargain basement vision + card on Thursday, went to the boat and changed over cards. Followed the instructions, ie connect to active captain then update. 
So, the charts look exactly the same and I've now lost my clear view imaging!! 
@GPSguru any ideas??

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Ok, so I got my bargain basement vision + card on Thursday, went to the boat and changed over cards. Followed the instructions, ie connect to active captain then update. 
@GPSguru any ideas??

Dunno, I will look into the vision + differences and report back.

I know that certain functions do not work if the chart is downloaded to a card. It has to be downloaded as tiles on active captn to work as it should. I had a long phone call with Garmin about it, but I have to say that the guys know their stuff and were very helpful 👍

6 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

@GPSguru any ideas??

Its not quite as simple as putting a card in and selecting the card unfortunately. The actual charts are so large you have to load them to a phone or iPad (after you've purchased the card) and with card in the head unit then transfer the more highly detailed charts to your head unit. When I did mine I loaded the entire east coast of Australia which took around 9hrs to transfer from my phone to my Garmin.

You are able to transfer what Garmin call tiles, each tile can be around 300 meg, this allows you to just download tiles for where you wish to fish rather than the whole coast like I did of several hundred tiles. This might help a little on transferring but there's also a Garmin tutorial on YouTube showing how.https://chsmith.com.au/news/how-to-access-relief-shading-with-garmin-bluechart-g3-vision-mapping.html?f=cmnewsletter&fbclid=IwAR0gTUgkqovuyOsJIv0iKLJ_FYJh2Rn357LzPxKojELQVfiCkWLjPiyrpY4

1 hour ago, JDP said:

each tile can be around 300 meg

Tiddlers then .............. at least 2 of the tiles I loaded for Lyme Bay are over 1Gb each...............

Actually, you don't need the chart card. Once the chart is registered to your account, and it shows on Active captain, then you load the tiles to the Active Captain micro SD card in the plotter via the active captn app on your phone, as that is the only way it will work.

7 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Ok, so I got my bargain basement vision + card on Thursday

I can't find any reference to Vision + ?

I have G3 Vision and that has the relief shading etc .............but I found it to be a PITA to load as it is very phone fussy. It doesn't want to know on my Iphone 11 pro Max and fails at about 20% on every upload, yet it performs OK using the wife's Iphone 11 pro, provided I switch off everything except Wifi.

When I spoke to Garmin they told me to use an Ipad as that is what the system is designed around. Both our Ipads here don't have enough free memory to load the tiles.

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/794484

This is it. I will have to find some time to sit down with Garmin tech me thinks. 

Ah ok, so it is effectively g3 vision with a couple more bells an whistles like daily updates and a few more photo’s.

I am guessing the only way to achieve this is to upload the tiles from active captain to the active captain sd card in the plotter, as the updates will be automatically downloaded to the active captain app just like the plotter software. It sort of makes the chart card redundant !

TBH, I think I would find that to be a PITA, especially if it requires to reload the whole tile instead of updating a tile, as this has the potential to be not only time consuming, but also frustrating.

However, to get it to work, you have to load the tiles from the active captain app.

12 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/794484

This is it. I will have to find some time to sit down with Garmin tech me thinks. 

I tried to update my vision charts today, and it seems that Garmin have changed the process yet again.

I expected to see the 'tiles' on the chart download page of active captain, but now I see that you have to select an area to upload to the plotter, which is mighty confusing.

Also, my wife had deleted Active Captain off her phone 🙄 and when I reloaded it, I couldn't find how to turn on the relief shading !

I think I also need to speak with Garmin to understand the current process !

14 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

I tried to update my vision charts today, and it seems that Garmin have changed the process yet again.

I expected to see the 'tiles' on the chart download page of active captain, but now I see that you have to select an area to upload to the plotter, which is mighty confusing.

Also, my wife had deleted Active Captain off her phone 🙄 and when I reloaded it, I couldn't find how to turn on the relief shading !

I think I also need to speak with Garmin to understand the current process !

Chances are good that you will speak to them sooner than me Ian. So if you get any extra info please share! 👍🏻

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Chances are good that you will speak to them sooner than me Ian. So if you get any extra info please share! 👍🏻

Yes will do 👍

I need to ask questions in a specific way in order to understand the relationship of a chart card vs active captain vs plotter, and how all the options like relief shading etc are activated. Then I need to know how the older tile version of down loading retains compatibility with the later selected area down loading 🤷‍♂️

47 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Yes will do 👍

I need to ask questions in a specific way in order to understand the relationship of a chart card vs active captain vs plotter, and how all the options like relief shading etc are activated. Then I need to know how the older tile version of down loading retains compatibility with the later selected area down loading 🤷‍♂️

I was going to suggest just that! 

Turning it back on the phone is the top right section where there’s three boxes inside a circle. When I mentioned some of the tiles were 300mg, that was just an average, some were far bigger to the point I had to buy a 256gb phone specially for the charts. 

Also when there any changes to the charts you have to remove all of the downloaded charts from the phone and plotter. I was going to leave my updates for when I get the 12ins screen but having waited 4 months already I’m not holding my breath on getting it soon.

7823877C-99AC-494E-A202-C6B16549CB70.png.46041643466d4e1f141538c7d798beab.png

9 minutes ago, JDP said:

Turning it back on the phone is the top right section where there’s three boxes inside a circle. When I mentioned some of the tiles were 300mg, that was just an average, some were far bigger to the point I had to buy a 256gb phone specially for the charts. 

Also when there any changes to the charts you have to remove all of the downloaded charts from the phone and plotter. I was going to leave my updates for when I get the 12ins screen but having waited 4 months already I’m not holding my breath on getting it soon.

7823877C-99AC-494E-A202-C6B16549CB70.png.46041643466d4e1f141538c7d798beab.png

If you now go to 'download charts (3 boxes inside the circle, and halfway down the menu) you are no longer presented with the 'tiles grid map', instead there is a box that you can select what area of the chart to download.

I need to know from Garmin how that relates to the original tiles.