Garmin Navionics Vision+

10 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

If it has been there a while, it may well have stored software updates and other stuff. Format it on a PC and then put it back in and recreate an active captain card.

How do I know which one it is though? I have 4 cards in 2 plotters!!

7 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Take out each one in turn and  IIRC it will tell you on the plotter that you have removed the active captain card.

Why do I have 4 cards anyway? Is it because the plotters come with a base and active card? Then the two are networked together! 
so, 2 of 4 not needed!! 

34 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Why do I have 4 cards anyway? Is it because the plotters come with a base and active card? Then the two are networked together! 
so, 2 of 4 not needed!! 

I dont know, mine will run without any cards, but I keep one active captain in one plotter and a blank card in the other plotter for screen dumps etc.

4 hours ago, JonC said:

I had it wrapped around my head, I’m only onG3 vision. 

DDD346AF-7B5E-4C76-902B-DCA6B26AF29D.jpeg

That will still require you to load it via active captain to get all the options, especially relief shading.

Once you have registered it to your Garmin account, it will show on the active captain app.

22 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

That will still require you to load it via active captain to get all the options, especially relief shading.

Once you have registered it to your Garmin account, it will show on the active captain app.

I’ve not really had any time to look at it yet, too busy with my engine problems. 
My captain active app is up and running. Should I be able to access the charts from my phone? 

9306A174-D252-4B8E-A7CD-0F166531097E.jpeg

1 hour ago, JonC said:

Should I be able to access the charts from my phone? 

Yes, provided that the chart is registered to your Garmin account, which you can do via Garmin express, or Active Captain.

You need to access the charts on your phone / ipad to upload the selected area from active captain.

Turns out I’ve got worldwide charts on my phone not jus Oz. Just been looking at the amazing detail of the sea floor around the areas I used to fish around the IOW, almost makes me want to fish it again. Some of the detail of the wrecks is pretty impressive. A couple from St Catherine’s IOW.

56FE495C-70ED-455E-B98D-B3518392350C.thumb.jpeg.2ada715b6d616877e872d6cb732276bc.jpeg

0841DF4F-0AC8-4DBD-9961-02D197CCB1AC.thumb.png.c9f4be456a51a294b8d7093493b38a0e.png

Edited by JDP

16 minutes ago, JDP said:

Turns out I’ve got worldwide charts on my phone not jus Oz. Just been looking at the amazing detail of the sea floor around the areas I used to fish around the IOW, almost makes me want to fish it again. Some of the detail of the wrecks is pretty impressive. A couple from St Catherine’s IOW.

56FE495C-70ED-455E-B98D-B3518392350C.thumb.jpeg.2ada715b6d616877e872d6cb732276bc.jpeg

0841DF4F-0AC8-4DBD-9961-02D197CCB1AC.thumb.png.c9f4be456a51a294b8d7093493b38a0e.png

I think it’s for the best if you stay where you are. 

2 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

18000km is bit a trek for a few pout…. I think you’re best off closer to home 🤣

He drives further than that regularly then goes the same distance offset. In his crocs and cork hat 

1 hour ago, JDP said:

That area off St Cats looks great but is empty of fish. I burned more fuel than I care to remember over a couple of seasons fishing there and it was hard work every trip, with many, many blanks. 😭

13 hours ago, JonC said:

I think it’s for the best if you stay where you are. 

Having seen you slay the pout in that last big trip I might leave them to you.

11 hours ago, JonC said:

He drives further than that regularly then goes the same distance offset. In his crocs and cork hat 

Haven't done a big trip for a while but have a 9000km road trip coming up followed by a run 80k offshore where I will be based for 10 days. Not my vehicle, boat or fuel. Also have another relatively long distance trip possibly before that one, again not my vehicle and boat. 

12 hours ago, Andy135 said:

That area off St Cats looks great but is empty of fish. I burned more fuel than I care to remember over a couple of seasons fishing there and it was hard work every trip, with many, many blanks. 😭

Wow that sounds terrible, in saying that my friends from the IOW have been catching pretty well. 

57 minutes ago, JDP said:

Having seen you slay the pout in that last big trip I might leave them to you.

Haven't done a big trip for a while but have a 9000km road trip coming up followed by a run 80k offshore where I will be based for 10 days. Not my vehicle, boat or fuel. Also have another relatively long distance trip possibly before that one, again not my vehicle and boat. 

Wow that sounds terrible, in saying that my friends from the IOW have been catching pretty well. 

But Andy is an expert blanker. He could blank in an aquarium! 

5 hours ago, JDP said:

Maybe I've been trying the wrong tides, or wrong places... who knows. But it's been the hardest place to catch that I've ever fished. If your friends fancy donating some hints to an epic blanker then point them my way! 🤣

19 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Maybe I've been trying the wrong tides, or wrong places... who knows. But it's been the hardest place to catch that I've ever fished. If your friends fancy donating some hints to an epic blanker then point them my way! 🤣

Yes it is a tricky area to fish in regards to tides, also you have to be right onto of some of the marks. The guys I know, do well because they keep marks close to themselves, also one of them is a pilot boat skipper so on the water all the time.  

1 hour ago, JDP said:

Yes it is a tricky area to fish in regards to tides, also you have to be right onto of some of the marks. The guys I know, do well because they keep marks close to themselves, also one of them is a pilot boat skipper so on the water all the time.  

Best way sadly…. As soon as you word gets out an armada arrives…. 

Is that Joe with the nice cougar cat? 🙂 

20 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Best way sadly…. As soon as you word gets out an armada arrives…. 

Is that Joe with the nice cougar cat? 🙂 

Yes Joe, he came out here with Danny for some sharking but didn't get the mako's unfortunately but plan on having another attempt. I used to work with them back in the day!!!!!

Its going to funny taking them sharking in the 14ft centre console.

Edited by JDP

I finally got this issue sorted. I used the old 8g card card, deleted it then formatted. Then created a new active captain card and loaded the charts onto that! Works a treat. 
Question though, what's on the 32g chart card if you have to download the charts onto the active captain app then transfer??

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

I finally got this issue sorted. I used the old 8g card card, deleted it then formatted. Then created a new active captain card and loaded the charts onto that! Works a treat. 
Question though, what's on the 32g chart card if you have to download the charts onto the active captain app then transfer??

I believe that 32gb is for the normal charts, the downloading through active captain is for the sea floor surveyed charts, could be wrong.

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

I asked that question and really didn't get a straight answer.

I would assume from the info I gleaned that it is for people that just want the charts and image info, for complicated stuff like relief shading (and maybe bird's eye view), then you have to use active captain.

BTW, 32Gb is the biggest microSD that Garmin support in their plotter range.

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

I asked that question and really didn't get a straight answer.

I would assume from the info I gleaned that it is for people that just want the charts and image info, for complicated stuff like relief shading (and maybe bird's eye view), then you have to use active captain.

BTW, 32Gb is the biggest microSD that Garmin support in their plotter range.

Yes Im aware of the 32gb, mine is maxed out, seems to small for the amount of area you pay for and as people already know having to upload sections can be an issue where they keep changing the upload process. I have double the problem because I have both Garmin and Simrad in the same boat and both with the reveal vision charts but not able to share between units. Ive also got both variants on my phone for when Im on other boats and Im far from a computer person. For now its all working and Im to afraid to update anything!!!!

Soon to replace the simrad with a second Garmin to simplify a bit. I find panoptics deserves a screen entirely to itself.