Local wildlife

Andy135

we had buzzards nesting in the woods at the end of our garden last summer - they dont half get the seagulls all riled up!

I was luck enough to see one of them swoop across the lawn to grab a squirrel sitting on the fence - the Wiley old squirrel ducked out the way just in time!

magnificent birds!

Out here, on the rural outskirts of the 135 estate, we see many things that we just take for granted. It's nice to see an increase in birds of prey, quite a rarity when I was a lad (cue hovis music.....)

We even have more seals than fish now too...... Still easy to catch crabs from Wells next the Sea tho..... 😉

1 minute ago, suzook12 said:

Out here, on the rural outskirts of the 135 estate, we see many things that we just take for granted. It's nice to see an increase in birds of prey, quite a rarity when I was a lad (cue hovis music.....)

We even have more seals than fish now too...... Still easy to catch crabs from Wells next the Sea tho..... 😉

This was you, wasn't it?

12 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

you got some hope there  s/f

Yes Pete you're correct me thinks. @Andy135 is slow, looks like I'm the only one of the SLT that gives a shit!! 
I must give him credit for ignoring me and my massive hints though!! 

we noticed we had barn owls in our workshop so during lock down I made an owl box with the kids and we had our first owls last year. The local owl guy came down and ringed and recorded them. (Not me in the photo)  hoping they return this year. 

1D008C74-EFF8-4673-B356-D7B994D5A29F.jpeg

FFEB87A2-4EB6-447A-8A2C-E2C1773B1946.jpeg

9E43D3D9-6C5E-45A0-B38B-8F1B0615C688.jpeg

B65DFE26-9FC6-4267-97EE-1B50B195C6D1.jpeg

1 minute ago, Herbs73 said:

we noticed we had barn owls in our workshop so during lock down I made an owl box with the kids and we had our first owls last year. The local owl guy came down and ringed and recorded them. (Not me in the photo)  hoping they return this year. 

1D008C74-EFF8-4673-B356-D7B994D5A29F.jpeg

FFEB87A2-4EB6-447A-8A2C-E2C1773B1946.jpeg

9E43D3D9-6C5E-45A0-B38B-8F1B0615C688.jpeg

B65DFE26-9FC6-4267-97EE-1B50B195C6D1.jpeg

Wow! Lovely pics and kudos to you for the effort you must have gone to to build the boxes. Great that they were used successfully. 👍

3 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Wow! Lovely pics and kudos to you for the effort you must have gone to to build the boxes. Great that they were used successfully. 👍

Im a carpenter so wasn't difficult to build, there's plenty of info online. I had the materials and time as we were off for lockdown and was looking for something to get the kids off the Xbox. It took a year and half for our first owls though.  I'm thinking of putting a camera in the box this year.  Was great watching them get bigger. Shit me up on a few morning as I would walk in and one would be sitting on a bench dead still and I wouldn't see it till I was right up to it.  

1 hour ago, Herbs73 said:

Im a carpenter so wasn't difficult to build, there's plenty of info online. I had the materials and time as we were off for lockdown and was looking for something to get the kids off the Xbox. It took a year and half for our first owls though.  I'm thinking of putting a camera in the box this year.  Was great watching them get bigger. Shit me up on a few morning as I would walk in and one would be sitting on a bench dead still and I wouldn't see it till I was right up to it.  

We have "screecher" owls in the trees in and around our garden. They are here every year. It's so lovely to hear them in the evenings. What do owl boxes look like? Can you post a pic or two of the ones you made. I might if I get time have a go at one. 
I believe they have to go up quite high??

21 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes Pete you're correct me thinks. @Andy135 is slow, looks like I'm the only one of the SLT that gives a shit!! 
I must give him credit for ignoring me and my massive hints though!! 

could be his age, although i believe it to be a sickness which  only affects the bosses or seiner management 

On 4/17/2022 at 9:23 AM, Saintly Fish said:

We have "screecher" owls in the trees in and around our garden. They are here every year. It's so lovely to hear them in the evenings. What do owl boxes look like? Can you post a pic or two of the ones you made. I might if I get time have a go at one. 
I believe they have to go up quite high??

Afternoon,

owl box pics as promised,

4F688138-0327-4093-9C65-C5B007BDE861.thumb.jpeg.03b297df9f6e33c7148685b7c3cf863d.jpeg