Brixham wrecking 9th April

jonnyswamp

14 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Boarded "Spot on" at 6.45, left the pontoon at 7 and steamed straight out past the 30 mile mark, one small Pollock and a few pouting was all this wreck gave up, so we moved a bit further out and didn't fare any better

This was how the rest of the day panned out, 2 or 3 drifts and if nothing happening we moved on, with some wrecks not even producing pout !

We tried 8 or 9 wrecks and travelled over 90 miles, we went more South than mid Channel as land (Cornwall probably) was visible all day

I didn't bother with the slow jigs as there were 4 others using this method and no-one caught so much as a cold on them

Instead I alternated between lures and bait, with my one and only Pollocklet coming on the last drop of the last drift and weighing a hefty 4 and a half pound

I didn't photograph my fish, but this was the heaviest of the 7 fish caught all day

6lb 8oz

2022-04-10_09-06-41

I did however manage to pick up a potential new British record Grey Gurnard on a blue and white sidewinder, which went 2.49 lb on a set of cheep digital scales on the boat

The currant record is 2lb 7oz 8dr, so knowing how unreliable cheep scales are, I didn't gut the fish and kept it in water until we got back in

Tested the scales on the return journey and found that the .49 was actually nearly half a pound and not nearly 5 ounces, as we first thought

I left the fish with Ross (skipper) as he said he had already contacted Brixham Angling and they were staying open to weight the fish (fair play to them )

Had a phone call from him within 20 mins of leaving Brixham for home, to tell me the fish had weighed 2lb 8oz 14dr on their calibrated scales and it was a potential new record

2022-04-10_09-02-00

If it is a new British record, I am then going for world dominance in the Gurnard fraternity as it seems I may be eligible

-hzNyTzNLy9R51dLcbJRwehWcEWKOTdGKfMVYLS26_wiegD4Z1afF66h10s6xEri7YeWjhPDj8nZZ1T9Jy1AWpZXtSR8M0yFkZyYm33tV8mm9svxcdupPQ1Pu3CxLj6yOSMqVGNCQeaPRKesMDA7TJRrgK5YjisJF4e_IlUKY_6ZFuzuETEKBsCfNU-Z_CFwViuMzLOv9ms6MCJOBQJ1kGSqIWySUVoU9pIJgQIeDdNf8e2plz2sRPBcfz6K7n-GIMx5Bs97KLfDIavi7ivETiTMWbbo6e4VGgCg_y0hWCY_EPjdwFnTN-JZOupa8heb-kJJirHfJqP-A1YuGxgsMUtJgFIsEyOy6AbpKLpX_ZjDWM5IJPu857s97zEQj8yCxXxkh2ulvNVppXnWZCWTTbQTLZEwKORS3Pg_iFaqKMv0mcCy7CJC4PcCffa5Ix62waKOcYHJDdmxN5D1HXeNUX2nIl0vrGzSA4H6sGU-uzX7j1kjIT6j2GdlXBqTL2uTNYHOspvgSTv0YSDTpyo7FIEa30rs8-gt5SbNYpdR-vOGnPXZpBkQkM5i0KdbpXkEu2bxx5fjnzWCVBvmj1iot-mW3LHnK-UWNovEmPnQLhIZmZpw2In2iULHYqUEVZ1YKteujxADEZ-QONPu7xmZkrv5b55p6ThOZQiVEUJnOs9mYmtc9yz2U9DJuacIezAB4Js-MQgOMXogBOaf26ntbl9eB3ZL2BjHu0tmfY-a-zsGmN1-nrf3Xrd5Uag=w296-h657-no?authuser=0

The new British record holder for the Grey Gurnard

Sounds like I won a 1930's dance competition 😄

Nice one Nick, not much fish but a record holder instead. Gotta be pleased with that?? 
When do you get it confirmed? 
Hope you give the OO's a name drop when you collect your OBE!!

20 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Nice one Nick, not much fish but a record holder instead. Gotta be pleased with that?? 
When do you get it confirmed? 
Hope you give the OO's a name drop when you collect your OBE!!

I don't know regarding confirmation, I've sent the Angling trust an email with all the details etc, but I won't hold my breath

It was one of the very few trips where I didn't wear my OO hoodie (Mrs Swamp appears to have shrunk it and it's now a bit snug)

May have got it in one of the magazines 

Don't worry though, when I win BBC sports personality of the year, I'll give the site a name drop in my acceptance speech 😁 

9 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

I don't know regarding confirmation, I've sent the Angling trust an email with all the details etc, but I won't hold my breath

It was one of the very few trips where I didn't wear my OO hoodie (Mrs Swamp appears to have shrunk it and it's now a bit snug)

May have got it in one of the magazines 

Don't worry though, when I win BBC sports personality of the year, I'll give the site a name drop in my acceptance speech 😁 

Make sure you slap the presenter to get some media attention. It seems a good way to get the headlines 

52 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Fantastic result! Very well done Nick. Will keep my fingers crossed that the confirmation goes your way - I'm sure it will.

Sounds like a hard day's fishing, which makes your Gurnard all the more satisfying 👍👍

I bet they ate it the minute he left the room 

One of them would have announced that it tasted like chicken. 

The land you could see was probably Start Point to Plymouth. Out from Salcombe there are a huge number of wrecks, and they are a good 50 mile steam from Brixham.

When we go there it is a 70 mile steam for us, so 140mile round trip before you have wetted a line !

Most of those wrecks are in quite deep water, so I guess you were seeing 200 - 250ft for most of the day.

It is still all or nothing time on the wrecks at the moment, but I would expect them to start producing some fish toward the latter end of April, however, if it is like last year, then the fish won't take up residency until mid to late May.

Well done on the Gurnard, I have also witnessed (about 2 years ago) the Red Gurnard record caught and gutted before anybody realized what they had caught !