Blast from the past

JDP

4 hours ago, Andy135 said:

What boat is that? Looks like an early Wilson Flyer or similar dory hull?

Don,t remember the model but it was 18ft and had a 55 evinrude which was considered a big engine back then😄

I had a Shetland 570 that I bought new late seventies and that had the 3cyl (I think) 55 'Rude. When I bought it the engine had only been recently introduced. I think in the blurb it mentioned being "loop charged" - whatever that was. Great boat and engine combination and then thought of as being quite a powerful rig. That rig was nothing like the Mercury straight 6 cyl. 95HP "tower of power" that I had on my self fitted out Loftus Bennet. Geoff.🙂

9 hours ago, Geoff said:

I think in the blurb it mentioned being "loop charged" - whatever that was.

Schnuerle scavenging …….. the inlet and exhaust ports are on the same side. The cylinder is charged from the inlet port by passing high over the piston crown in the form of a loop.

I also had a 570, but I had a 3 pot johnson 70 on the back. Nice boats and I sold mine for a lot more than its purchase price !

Edited by GPSguru

1 minute ago, Geoff said:

Glad to hear that you made a profit on your 570 Ian - I bet yours went well with the 70. I always loose money when I sell a boat!! - very sad. Geoff.

Loose? Foot loose?