Electric hydroplaning boat

Andy135

2 hours ago, Malc said:

...also saw two people in the middle of the Tyne on boards propelled in a similar way. Absolute twonks, wetsuits and no PFDs in March and the middle of the shipping lane!

I think I've seen something similar on Hayling beach in the summer. Like a sort of parafoil-propelled board that gets up on hydrofoils once it's going fast enough. The parafoils are held by the rider and are used to catch the wind and gain speed.

7 hours ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

yes they have been around for some time but a fair weather option i be-leave. if they were that good  im sure that there would be some on the solent but they per-fur cats instead ( ferry s )

The red funnel passenger ferry always used to be a hydrofoil. It's still referred to as so by many, but you're correct Pete it is now a cat. 

https://www.wightpedia.org.uk/w/Red_Funnel_Hydrofoil_Passenger_Ferries

yeah i remember as a nipper travelling to the "mainland" on the hydrofoils - they were called Shearwater (1,2) etc - so exciting - they were ok in a rough sea but would get cancelled in high winds - the hovercraft would be cancelled first though. 

foiling is now a technology embraced by surfers, kite surfers, wing boarders is the latest, but also dingy sailors - even the race yachts now use foils etc - the amount of "foilers" that come out of Portland sailing academy is mad - they are so fast and almost silent - they tend to go out in out in all weathers as the foil lifts them above the swell - cutting through it with the hull well above the waves!

they all enter the water updside down though so your wet before you start lol

image.jpeg.32195857a801f3ec320725612d029746.jpegTo Foil Or Not To Foil | Articles » Issue 75 | Free Kitesurfing Magazine  Online | IKSURFMAGWing Foil lesson for beginners and intermediate in the Caribbean, AntiguaNews |SPECIAL BLOG | 10 facts about the TF10 foiling trimaran

heres the future: 🤙

Torqeedo Blog - 2019 Foiling Awards and MP eFoiler Challenge winners named  - e-mobility on the water

Edited by mike farrants

1 hour ago, mike farrants said:

yeah i remember as a nipper travelling to the "mainland" on the hydrofoils - they were called Shearwater (1,2) etc - so exciting - they were ok in a rough sea but would get cancelled in high winds - the hovercraft would be cancelled first though. 

foiling is now a technology embraced by surfers, kite surfers, wing boarders is the latest, but also dingy sailors - even the race yachts now use foils etc - the amount of "foilers" that come out of Portland sailing academy is mad - they are so fast and almost silent - they tend to go out in out in all weathers as the foil lifts them above the swell - cutting through it with the hull well above the waves!

they all enter the water updside down though so your wet before you start lol

image.jpeg.32195857a801f3ec320725612d029746.jpegTo Foil Or Not To Foil | Articles » Issue 75 | Free Kitesurfing Magazine  Online | IKSURFMAGWing Foil lesson for beginners and intermediate in the Caribbean, AntiguaNews |SPECIAL BLOG | 10 facts about the TF10 foiling trimaran

heres the future: 🤙

Torqeedo Blog - 2019 Foiling Awards and MP eFoiler Challenge winners named  - e-mobility on the water

The top picture is called a Moth, a few of them compete from our sailing club along with Foiling sail boards. They can get up to 45knots. 

18 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Yes  you can, hydrafoils have been around for some time

Over 80 Injured as High-Speed Hydrofoil Ferry Hits Whale in Japan

I was thinking of more conventional fishing and recreation boats.

18 hours ago, Andy135 said:

I think I've seen something similar on Hayling beach in the summer. Like a sort of parafoil-propelled board that gets up on hydrofoils once it's going fast enough. The parafoils are held by the rider and are used to catch the wind and gain speed.

The ones we saw must have been electric.

I just searched and you can have e-surfboard/foil DOODAHS but I would imagine that the guys in the Tyne would have been keeping a keen eye out for large submerged pieces of driftwood! You can get a decent second hand boat for that price 😳

Edited by Malc