Blankety blank

Josh

7 sessions over this spring and last spring currently for a spring porgie 

will try again if the weathers and time allow 

slow going but I know I am getting closer 

loads of freak out mis encounters on the edge of our seats ,, float dipping behind a swell

snagging the reef and the line peeling off 

Other species robbing baits.

Word is it’s VERY hard out there compared to last years which I suppose at least makes me feel a little more at ease and good things will come just got to keep putting the hours in.

lots of sleep deprivation, towing fuel chumming but it’s all part of the job

anyone else managed to sneak any out ?

• Like 2

Well done from having a go, I think I can speak for everyone on here when I say that we admire the effort you put into catching a few fish. Keep it up. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks Jon 🙏 

I suppose if it happened every time ,,, we wouldn’t value it anywhere near as much !

Those magic moments do happen 

and regardless of all the deflation at times .

Staying an optimist in fishing is a whole lot better than giving up

🦈

It’s been very tough this year…. Ilfracombe has only had 2, so I’ve cancelled my plans to head over from Milford.

Im out for my first try tomorrow but swell may stop me trying…. It’s a location I’ve never tried before and not sure even fish there so I’m sure I’ll blank if I can get out 🤣🤣🤣

Celtic deeps in 6 weeks to see if cns get back to the proper stomping ground and find some 🙂 

• Like 1

Keep going Josh. Fishing is like gambling... if we knew we would blank we'd never go, and if we knew we'd catch it wouldn't be half as much fun. When you finally bag "the one" it will feel all the sweeter because of the blanks.

And frankly I wish I was out there having the opportunity to blank with you. Once family comes along your fishing time rapidly diminishes so I'm somewhat envious that you're able to get out as much as you can 😉👍

• Like 1

Thanks Andy

Ha mate I feel for your situation 

getting married this year ££

Kids aren’t quite on my radar but I’ll only be able to hold off for so long 

It’s restricting this small boating as it is with the weather let alone more obstacles  🙄

🎣 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

It’s been very tough this year…. Ilfracombe has only had 2, so I’ve cancelled my plans to head over from Milford.

Im out for my first try tomorrow but swell may stop me trying…. It’s a location I’ve never tried before and not sure even fish there so I’m sure I’ll blank if I can get out 🤣🤣🤣

Celtic deeps in 6 weeks to see if cns get back to the proper stomping ground and find some 🙂 

Agree there has been others out but yes very slow I don’t think these big girls act like the majority a lot cagey’er .

just need to fool one 😅

snap pal I wana give the celtics the cherry pop in my own boat.

good luck if you get out!

Edited by Josh

27 minutes ago, Josh said:

Thanks Andy

Ha mate I feel for your situation 

getting married this year ££

Kids aren’t quite on my radar but I’ll only be able to hold off for so long 

It’s restricting this small boating as it is with the weather let alone more obstacles  🙄

🎣

It's all good. I'd rather have my kids and never go fishing again than the other way around, but it does mean that the luxury of dangling whenever you want becomes a distant memory.

Practically-speaking it just means a bit more planning (negotiating) is required to get the fishing trips in, but when I do get out it feels all the more exciting because it's hard-earned.

• Like 2

Oh, and congrats on your upcoming wedding! Make sure you say in your wedding speech that your best man is a pathological liar. That way anything juicy he says about you can be legitimately dodged 😉👍

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Oh, and congrats on your upcoming wedding! Make sure you say in your wedding speech that your best man is a pathological liar. That way anything juicy he says about you can be legitimately dodged 😉👍

Sounds like you're talking from experience!! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Sounds like you're talking from experience!! 

Yep. My best man has a PhD and had previously worked at GCHQ, so had an air of (erroneous) legitimacy whenever he addressed an audience. So I took advantage of speaking first to sabotage him before he could do any serious damage 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Josh said:

7 sessions over this spring and last spring currently for a spring porgie 

will try again if the weathers and time allow 

slow going but I know I am getting closer 

loads of freak out mis encounters on the edge of our seats ,, float dipping behind a swell

snagging the reef and the line peeling off 

Other species robbing baits.

Word is it’s VERY hard out there compared to last years which I suppose at least makes me feel a little more at ease and good things will come just got to keep putting the hours in.

lots of sleep deprivation, towing fuel chumming but it’s all part of the job

anyone else managed to sneak any out ?

You are not alone Josh, my understanding is that it has been a very difficult spring so far with very few fish around. It seems to be following the pattern of last year, so maybe we won’t see a lot of action until mid to end of May.

The charters have been struggling on the wrecks and a couple of private shark boats have blanked on the last 4 sessions for Porgies, but if there are no bait fish in numbers then there will be no predators !

A good friend took his Cheetah out to the Salcombe channel wrecks last week from Lyme Bay. They did 190Nm, burnt a lot of fuel, visited 16 wrecks and came back after a very long day with 4 Pollock, of which the biggest went 6lb ! ........ I am glad I turned down the invite !

Unfortunately for me, my last trip was back in late Jan, and a couple of unexpected health issues have had me banned from the boat for the last 10 weeks or so, but I am good to go again now.

However, I have a plan ........... the next decent day will see me out there getting some Mack (I can usually find a few all year round), and maybe a trip to the skerries as the Plaice seem to be showing in numbers at the moment.

Edited by GPSguru
  • Like 2

stick at it  Josh      not  been out on a porgie trip as yet    but   a few are on the cards  this year    had a good run out on a mates boat on thursday  covered  over   140 miles  out into the north sea    fished a  well know   underfished wreck thats  48  mile out of  Bridlington     picked up a few  good cod   then it went dead  so  me moved  onto another  20  mile away   same thing   few fish then went dead    came  back in a  bit   to another wreck   that fished a lot better  cod    ling  & pollack   all Keepers   then it was time to head in    before the harbour dried out    fancy a trip to st ives   porgie fishing  but  the rest of the guys want to go common skate fishing    in  May          

• Like 1