Tope

Herbs73

I fish out of Brightlingsea,Essex, targeting hounds and bass. But this year I want to try and catch a decent tope. So far I’ve only caught small ones whilst fishing for hounds.

I’m doing a lot of reading but info from experienced anglers is invaluable so any dos and donts will be great. I’ve pretty much decided I’m not going to try and boat one if I’m lucky enough to catch a decent fish and  will release it at the side.
Also   I’m not after specific marks but a rough direction to head towards also greatly appreciated. 

my set up will be Daiwa tournament upside 4-10 0z, with either Abu 7000’s Or Penn fathom 15 & 20lb mainline. 

TIA

Cant say i know much about tope fishing other than this was my biggest ever fish - we think up to 40lb, took a long time getting it to the boat and even longer to get it in - was fishing in over 100ft of water of portland bill and as the tide swung us over a trench i nailed this bad boy on a side of mackerel, with an Ugly stick 20/30lb rod and Slosh 30

In the future i will also release at the side now- but as this was a fish of a lifetime for me i wanted the pic!

thumbnail_Image.thumb.jpg.2bf890b1b5c7c38935655424adec2f3e.jpg

Edited by mike farrants

We use a wire biting trace with around 6/0 hook, circles work well with tope.

Have a tail rope handy in case you do need to boat one, along with a long T bar for unhooking.....

Most productive bait this way is mack heads with entrails. Tope love gullies and overfalls etc.

Common practice, when you have a decent one on, make sure all other lines are in, as they will happilly run around the boat a few times.....

Good luck 👍

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

Cant say i know much about tope fishing other than this was my biggest ever fish - we think up to 40lb, took a long time getting it to the boat and even longer to get it in - was fishing in over 100ft of water of portland bill and as the tide swung us over a trench i nailed this bad boy on a side of mackerel, with an Ugly stick 20/30lb rod and Slosh 30

In the future i will also release at the side now- but as this was a fish of a lifetime for me i wanted the pic!

thumbnail_Image.thumb.jpg.2bf890b1b5c7c38935655424adec2f3e.jpg

Fantastic fish. You must of been grinning for a while afterwards 

For tope they tend to run in between banks and on drop offs. 

Mackeral is a good bait, have a decent leader as they can use their tale to cut through the mainline.

As for marks @JonC is local… I’m not sure where you are but in the old fishing magazines it was always knock tower that was good, that was 40 years ago mind 🤣

Rod and reel will be fine for them if you are fishing in shallow-ish water 🙂 

• Agree 1

As above rod and reels are OK, if you don't need to boat it then T bar off while in the water and if you need or want to land it do it by lifting horizontal or netting don't tailer them in as it can rupture their internal organs.

We use 6-8/0 sakuma manta xtra or circles on 250lb mono trace and 15-20 foot of 60-80lb mono topshot so the mono line should be on the reel when boating/unhooking. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

For tope they tend to run in between banks and on drop offs. 

Mackeral is a good bait, have a decent leader as they can use their tale to cut through the mainline.

As for marks @JonC is local… I’m not sure where you are but in the old fishing magazines it was always knock tower that was good, that was 40 years ago mind 🤣

Rod and reel will be fine for them if you are fishing in shallow-ish water 🙂 

Don’t look at me, I’ve not had any success. 
I do know thought that’s essential to have fresh mackerel, and that’s usually where I get to then fail. I’ve been told to pick them up along the ledge of the east barrow, over slack water but it never happens 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JonC said:

Don’t look at me, I’ve not had any success. 
I do know thought that’s essential to have fresh mackerel, and that’s usually where I get to then fail. I’ve been told to pick them up along the ledge of the east barrow, over slack water but it never happens 

I vaguely remember being told the longsands, but that was a while ago. 

Eel section used to be considered the best bait, those now eels are endangered it’s not a common bait. I may try getting a bag from billingsgate to test out. The downside is it’s only considered a tope bait whereas mackerel will catch a big bass.

18 minutes ago, JonC said:

Eel section used to be considered the best bait, those now eels are endangered it’s not a common bait. I may try getting a bag from billingsgate to test out. The downside is it’s only considered a tope bait whereas mackerel will catch a big bass.

Flatties have also been used in this area with some success, although not as good as mack

• 4 weeks later...

Middle Deep area  worth a go. They often are caught in shallow water so don't shy from running up the edges of the banks into say 10'. Half a dab is a great bait if the mackies aren't playing.

As said before you're got to keep them level to avoid fatal internal damage. Unhooking circle hooks in the water is not easy unless the barbs have been removed. J hooks can be T barred no problem. For landing you'll need a big and very deep net plus a sling to weigh photo and release while keeping them level.

Tackle wise I use a 20' 80lb rubbing leader with a trace of 4' 200lb plus 18" 175lb wire and a 10/0 owner circle. 

Tight lines.

• Like 2