Boat Price Decline?

I’d it just me or do you think boat prices are in decline? 

Looking at a few adverts it looks like prices have flattened off or even dropped on some. 

Given the price of red diesel going up (same price as petrol in my marina) I guess it’s only a matter of time before people call it a day….

On 4/26/2022 at 10:43 AM, Odyssey said:

I’d it just me or do you think boat prices are in decline? 

Looking at a few adverts it looks like prices have flattened off or even dropped on some. 

Given the price of red diesel going up (same price as petrol in my marina) I guess it’s only a matter of time before people call it a day….

The only ones who will call it a day will be the "lockdown buyers" who thought it would be a fun hobby. 
But as we all know, boating is a lifestyle not a hobby. Fuel is probably the cheapest part of owning a boat. 

Down here in the SW, boat prices are very buoyant, however, I have noticed that since the fuel price hikes not so many folk are using them like they used to.

As @Saintly Fish has indicated, the cost of fuel is a very small proportion of the total coat of ownership, but a whole lot of folk just do not look at the big picture.

The price of fuel will not affect my usage, and once this East wind clears off, I will be out on the wrecks as usual, however, the next trip may well be for Macky as the bait freezer is looking sad.

12 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Suppose it depends on where you moor your boat. 

Leaving my boat on a trailer in my drive must have saved me a fortune on both mooring and fuel costs!!! Geoff. Not quite so much fun though. 😉

Edited by Geoff

Our boat is kept on the drive on a trailer and fuel costs are negatable compared to all the other costs.  We average probably less than 30 litres  of petrol a trip so a average trip now only costs about £15 more in petrol than 10 years ago. Squid has gone up more in price over that period!!

28 minutes ago, Dicky said:

Our boat is kept on the drive on a trailer and fuel costs are negatable compared to all the other costs.  We average probably less than 30 litres  of petrol a trip so a average trip now only costs about £15 more in petrol than 10 years ago. Squid has gone up more in price over that period!!

Much the same here, but I average about 40 -50L per trip.

I tend to buy my squid in bulk when the frozen bait suppliers have an offer on.

Occasionally we get cuttle at Brixham fish market where it is possible to buy very cheap, but you need to but a 'box' which is quite a lot.

We keep our boat on the drive,pain in the arse having to launch and retrieve ,but pontoons or drystack are expensive round here.

25lt would last all day usually average 10/15lt.

downside is no protection from wind but very stable ,no rock and roll.

Mooring is £2200 per year for me. Fuel is biggest cost by far but that’s because I do mad trips offshore or a few days away….

Agree that bait is expensive, worm is £18-20 per lb now which makes cod fishing not too tempting and one of the reasons I’m not in Bristol Channel this winter…

There is a nice Arvor 250 in Cardiff up for 37k. Last year that woukd of been 45k at least 

Edited by Odyssey

On 4/28/2022 at 11:06 AM, Saintly Fish said:

Suppose it depends on where you moor your boat. 

I believe it is very expensive to park a boat in the deep South but I would say it is misleading to suggest fuel is only a very small part of the cost. If you find that is the case maybe you should use your boat more!

23 minutes ago, Gordmac said:

I believe it is very expensive to park a boat in the deep South but I would say it is misleading to suggest fuel is only a very small part of the cost. If you find that is the case maybe you should use your boat more!

I use my boat just plenty thanks Gord.

Although I do appreciate your concern. I average around 80-90 hours a year and spend about £2.5k on fuel. This is half of what the mooring fees are, so for where I am fuel is not the major cost. 
Though this year it may get closer. 

My boat club fees are £275 which includes mooring costs. We have to lay our own moorings which is an initial cost of roughly £1k, there will be replacement costs for bits but not often.

I probably spent about £1k in fuel and did best part of 500nm.