Friday 6th May

GPSguru

Speed demon!!!  Looking at the sheer amount of wrecks on Navionics charts you would think that some must still have good fish on them, what's the cause of lack of fish, do they normally fish so poor these days ?

43 minutes ago, JDP said:

Speed demon!!!  Looking at the sheer amount of wrecks on Navionics charts you would think that some must still have good fish on them, what's the cause of lack of fish, do they normally fish so poor these days ?

It is the change from what will call winter to summer species, but in the case of Pollock and Bass, it is returning from the spawning grounds. This last few years has seen this happen later and later, 10 years ago at this time of the year the wrecks would be stuffed with Pollock and Bass, but this year I am not really expecting much to happen before mid may / early June. Interestingly, the bait fish are plentiful, loads of sandeels around and whitebait.

I think we also have to take into account the Pollock and Bass were late in leaving the wrecks last year, as we were still catching good Bass right into December.

Sounds like you had a good day out though even without catching to much, glad you are getting out. Keep the reports coming, we all enjoy them. 

( if you are wondering it’s because I’ve been told that I’m not very nice and I rarely pay compliments) 

14 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Great write-up Ian. Good hooning too 😁. You'll have to aim for 45 next time 👍

Bringing the thread back on topic 🙄

Nah, I can't see me ever getting up to that sort of speed on the sea, a lake may be Ok, but the sea is way too variable. The boat will do it ok, but my kahoonas just ain't big enough ! 🤣

I probably peaked at 41knt on the way out to the wrecks, as I was cruising at 35knt (more than fast enough) and I noticed a small commercial approaching my starboard bow, so instead of slowing, turning,  and passing to stern, I judged (correctly) that if I speeded up, I could safely cross his path.

7 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Bringing the thread back on topic 🙄

Nah, I can't see me ever getting up to that sort of speed on the sea, a lake may be Ok, but the sea is way too variable. The boat will do it ok, but my kahoonas just ain't big enough ! 🤣

I probably peaked at 41knt on the way out to the wrecks, as I was cruising at 35knt (more than fast enough) and I noticed a small commercial approaching my starboard bow, so instead of slowing, turning,  and passing to stern, I judged (correctly) that if I speeded up, I could safely cross his path.

Yep, the cojones are the limiting factor for me too. Ran out of them at 31kts in Apache with my daughter on board - one bigger wavelet than most and we'd have been flying. 😬

21 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Yep, the cojones are the limiting factor for me too. Ran out of them at 31kts in Apache with my daughter on board - one bigger wavelet than most and we'd have been flying. 😬

One of the advantages of using a 4 blade prop is that it runs higher and gives more stern lift, this puts more 'keel' in the water at speed, making the boat grip the water a lot more and adding to stability, the downside of a 4 blade is that you lose a bit of top end speed, by that doesn't really concern me ! 😂😇

On 5/6/2022 at 9:56 PM, GPSguru said:

Launched at 08:15, solo again today.

The plan in my head was to stay inshore and go after some Mackerel, whilst also exploring the local reefs for wrasse. However, the sea was as forecast (0.1m @ 6sec) and glass flat, so I decided to head for the wrecks to see if they were as devoid of life as the local reports were suggesting.

A steady 35knts soon had me out to the favourite wreck at 9 miles. The weather was almost windless and the sun was shining, so it was just nice to be there. I made 5 drifts, and it was definitely devoid of all life !

So, I pushed onto a large broken wreck at 12 miles and the result was the same. Not even the pout were at home !

Rather than risking going on to the 20 mile wrecks, I decided to head inshore to the Orestone and Hopes Nose. Once there, I slowly motored around looking for life on the traditional sonar and panoptix downscan, but failed to locate any Mackerel or Scad.

Things were getting desperate now, as I can't ever remember blanking on Bluefin, so I needed to find a fish somewhere. I next headed to Long Quarry point, which is the winter home for Mackerel, but again drew a blank.

Next I decided to head for the inshore wreck that had given me a small pollock earlier in the week. This wreck is an old steamship that is very broken and lies about 2 miles out in 40ft. The wind had now turned into a breeze from the South and was against the ebbing tide, so it was beginning to get a little choppy, but I was still able to maintain a comfortable 30knts.

Once on the wreck, I dropped down the mack tinsels with the bottom 2 baited with squid. Almost immediately I was into a pollock of about one and a half pounds, so the blank was narrowly avoided. This fish had ‘blown’ and would not go back. I made a few more drifts with a 60g slow jig and picked up another pollock of 3lbs.

All too soon it was 12 midday and time to head back in, to leave plenty of time for the Friday grand children school run.

Total for the day was 39nm and 2 pollock. Later, whilst clearing the plotters of active tracks and trip data, I noted that the max trip speed was 41knts, hmmm ….. bloody hooligan !

A quick pic in the coolbox !

251FFAA4-CD05-48EA-B27D-F86842AEF3AC.thumb.jpeg.ac2884bfafa579ebecaa2a4db368bc39.jpeg

The view of the shore whilst drifting the wreck !

IMG_1515.thumb.JPG.ec3002036a2eaddc78729292a4d77e69.JPG

been there a few times 😅