Daddy does him again.

Saintly Fish

Excellent day out by the sound of it, and not a bad catch given the lack of fish at the moment.

I suspect the grounded pugwash skipper was just going to wait of the tide. He would have needed to dig in a couple of anchors ready for when the tide picks up to avoid getting too much water over the seaward side.

9 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Excellent day out by the sound of it, and not a bad catch given the lack of fish at the moment.

I suspect the grounded pugwash skipper was just going to wait of the tide. He would have needed to dig in a couple of anchors ready for when the tide picks up to avoid getting too much water over the seaward side.

As we returned he was just about fully upright, engine running and departure imminent. That sort of grounding surely cannot do the boat much good though. 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

As we returned he was just about fully upright, engine running and departure imminent. That sort of grounding surely cannot do the boat much good though. 

With a fin keel it is ok, provided you take precautions as the tide rises to stop the keel banging about on the bottom, but soft sand or mud is normally ok.

However, it is bad boat skills to ground out.

1 minute ago, GPSguru said:

With a fin keel it is ok, provided you take precautions as the tide rises to stop the keel banging about on the bottom, but soft sand or mud is normally ok.

However, it is bad boat skills to ground out.

I’ve seen a few on their sides in the river here, not the best style of hull for shall estuaries but very good at sea. 

1 minute ago, JonC said:

I’ve seen a few on their sides in the river here, not the best style of hull for shall estuaries but very good at sea. 

Bilge keel boats are generally better all round for inshore sailing, but hey, I don’t do rag n stick, but I know plenty that do, not my bag 🤣

Well done Neil. Nice collection of dogfish pics there, and a welcome result for you in the father-son league. 👍

Mind you, I suppose on balance of probability you had to out-fish Leo at least once. Just. 😋

I personally feel that starmix are excellent choice, tangfastics do have their place, they preferred for car journeys but Starmix has the fried egg… a thing of wonder 😍

Both far exceed supermix which has a saving grace of milk bottles….

Yesterdays choice was the humble fruit pastel. They have changed the flavours so I was disappointed with my choice. Back to haribo or maybe some squishies me thinks 

Nice report, I was sat in the sunshine at Gunwharf quays in Portsmif and it looked lovely out in the solent. It was however pretty busy out there, I watched the port patrol shepherd a SIB out of the way of the IOW ferry and others dodging it and each other and an absolute plonker think that their yacht had right of way to the ferry just because they had left the quay. The patrol were pretty busy in the 90 minutes I was watching the comings and going. 

I was however seriously impressed by the way the ferry skipper handbrake turns it into the terminal at a good speed!

15 minutes ago, Malc said:

Nice report, I was sat in the sunshine at Gunwharf quays in Portsmif and it looked lovely out in the solent. It was however pretty busy out there, I watched the port patrol shepherd a SIB out of the way of the IOW ferry and others dodging it and each other and an absolute plonker think that their yacht had right of way to the ferry just because they had left the quay. The patrol were pretty busy in the 90 minutes I was watching the comings and going. 

I was however seriously impressed by the way the ferry skipper handbrake turns it into the terminal at a good speed!

How was la regatta ?

7 minutes ago, Malc said:

Really, you want me to get a scurry on?

I was in Baghdad while you were still in your dad's bag, I remember when the dead Sea first went sick, I've got socks that have seen more action than you sonny Jim, it will be done in my time not the queen's time cos I'm an old retired salty Sea dog and I have earned the right to do what I like when I like. 

Well done Malc, good for you 👍🏻