Tohatsu 3.5 4 stroke

Tested this out last weekend, mostly ok, couple of issues so pulled the lower leg today.

Had a look at the impellor and there is no drive key!!

No slot for a woodruff, no hole for a drive pin, only a machined flat on the driveshaft.

The impellor kits seem to have a pin so wondering if anyone knows how this is supposed to work. Short of pushing round pin in the slot vertically (seems a poor idea that), can't see how it's meant to go....

Ideas anyone?

11 hours ago, JonC said:

I think that is how it goes, when I serviced mine last I remember some balancing act, I put a dab of grease on the pin to hold it in place. 

Cheers Jon, I couldn't see any other way for it to go. Just gotta check everywhere to make sure the original hasn't fell out and landed somewhere problematic. The gearbox has been stripped so can rule that one out. Seems all that was wrong with the thing was potentially a missing pin and a missing bung on the side, and poorly adjusted gear rod.... Happy days...

6 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Cheers Jon, I couldn't see any other way for it to go. Just gotta check everywhere to make sure the original hasn't fell out and landed somewhere problematic. The gearbox has been stripped so can rule that one out. Seems all that was wrong with the thing was potentially a missing pin and a missing bung on the side, and poorly adjusted gear rod.... Happy days...

I think that there was a half round rebate on either component, so the pin was like a keyway? 
@Geoff  will probably correct me on the names of these items. 

8 hours ago, JonC said:

I think that there was a half round rebate on either component, so the pin was like a keyway? 
@Geoff  will probably correct me on the names of these items. 

Not this time Jon, I can't even understand what you are on about, but Zook will have it sussed. Enjoy your PN supper. Geoff.😉

On 5/14/2022 at 8:11 PM, suzook12 said:

Tested this out last weekend, mostly ok, couple of issues so pulled the lower leg today.

Had a look at the impellor and there is no drive key!!

No slot for a woodruff, no hole for a drive pin, only a machined flat on the driveshaft.

The impellor kits seem to have a pin so wondering if anyone knows how this is supposed to work. Short of pushing round pin in the slot vertically (seems a poor idea that), can't see how it's meant to go....

Ideas anyone?

Yes, seen it before.

The pin goes on the flat of the shaft and the impeller holds the pin in place. I seem to remember that some of them have a rounded half moon slot on the internal of the impeller. I know it's not how you and I would engineer it, but it obviously works !

2 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Yes, seen it before.

The pin goes on the flat of the shaft and the impeller holds the pin in place. I seem to remember that some of them have a rounded half moon slot on the internal of the impeller. I know it's not how you and I would engineer it, but it obviously works !

I think the little pin is designed to fail, maybe in case it gets clogged up etc?