Jump to content

May 14th on the bream


Andy135
 Share

Recommended Posts

Nice morning out mate. Bet it felt good to be back on JG!! 
A couple of bream to boot. No plaice or dogs today then?? 
what did you have on your pizza?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Nice morning out mate. Bet it felt good to be back on JG!! 
A couple of bream to boot. No plaice or dogs today then?? 
what did you have on your pizza?

Pepperoni and chilli. The only combination 👍

ewUwhiM.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The servants quarter weather boarding looks a bit past it, why haven’t you fixed that rather than spending all your free time fishing? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love the panoramic views, you can almost see the boundaries of your estate.

Are you still planning to expand your estate to include the IOW??

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JonC said:

The servants quarter weather boarding looks a bit past it, why haven’t you fixed that rather than spending all your free time fishing? 

That's an outbuilding currently being used to store garden stuff. I have a vaguely formed idea to turn it into an outdoor kitchen or perhaps a detached guest bedroom. Either way it's a long-term project.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, daio web said:

nice report mate and even nicer boat you got to be in it to win it 

Thanks Daio, it was a cracking day to be out. Was great to get back on the boat and give her a blast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Thanks Daio, it was a cracking day to be out. Was great to get back on the boat and give her a blast.

a blast be buggered my old boat was fast but not as fast as that haha what does she do 40 knots 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

That's an outbuilding currently being used to store garden stuff. I have a vaguely formed idea to turn it into an outdoor kitchen or perhaps a detached guest bedroom. Either way it's a long-term project.

sounds like a plan 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, daio web said:

a blast be buggered my old boat was fast but not as fast as that haha what does she do 40 knots 

That clip was taken at 21-22kts. I've had her up to 38kts previously. The manufacturer says she'll do 40 but I reckon that must be with a following wind & tide and with nearly empty tanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well done Andy on getting out, and an excellent result with the Bream. 

Bream are something we don't do here as there are only a couple of marks that are likely to produce, and both of those are by the skerries, so generally the plaice take preference !

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

That clip was taken at 21-22kts. I've had her up to 38kts previously. The manufacturer says she'll do 40 but I reckon that must be with a following wind & tide and with nearly empty tanks.

22 knots is just fine an comfortable   and better on the engine 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Well done Andy on getting out, and an excellent result with the Bream. 

Bream are something we don't do here as there are only a couple of marks that are likely to produce, and both of those are by the skerries, so generally the plaice take preference !

Yes, I think I'd take plaice over bream too - better eating in my opinion. The bream is still nice though, and puts up a really good fight for their size. Proper scrappers on appropriately sized gear. I was using a 9ft Rovex Plugger spinning rod and a small f/s reel. Lovely to feel a genuine bend in the rod.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

Bream are something we don't do here as there are only a couple of marks that are likely to produce, and both of those are by the skerries

Wrecking is something I don't do here as it's such an F'ing long way to get to them. Maybe there is a trip swap here somewhere. 
Bream for wrecking. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Wrecking is something I don't do here as it's such an F'ing long way to get to them. Maybe there is a trip swap here somewhere. 
Bream for wrecking. 

I'd swap bream for the Skerries. A legendary mark that I've still yet to fish. 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice trip out there Andy, I'd love to be able to catch Bream but no marks where I am. I liked your video of your boat steaming along there, looked very fast and smooth 👌🙂

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, thejollysinker said:

Nice trip out there Andy, I'd love to be able to catch Bream but no marks where I am. I liked your video of your boat steaming along there, looked very fast and smooth 👌🙂

 

Thanks Gary. Do you have side-scan sonar on your boat? If so you could try searching for new marks by looking for nesting sites. They're easy to spot if they're there. Bream like a rocky bottom with a thin covering of shingle or gravel. Start your search by checking the charts in your area for locations showing a rock and/or gravelly bottom composition - on Navionics this is indicated by a capital R for Rock, and G for Gravel.

Here's an example in your neck of the woods where I'd start looking.

cZ9I0fA.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

looked like a cracking day out...... i love the bream!

 

heres a video of me steaming along by comparison......... 🤣

image.png.c05529c735df52cc80b4fca878a443a0.png

It plays a bit slow Mike!! 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Thanks Gary. Do you have side-scan sonar on your boat? If so you could try searching for new marks by looking for nesting sites. They're easy to spot if they're there. Bream like a rocky bottom with a thin covering of shingle or gravel. Start your search by checking the charts in your area for locations showing a rock and/or gravelly bottom composition - on Navionics this is indicated by a capital R for Rock, and G for Gravel.

Here's an example in your neck of the woods where I'd start looking.

cZ9I0fA.jpeg

I am impressed Andy, as you are bang on for a Bream mark, and it is the only Bream mark around here for miles !

If you zoomed in a little more, in the SW corner of the above there is an underwater rock called Bream Rock.

We do catch Bream out there, but it is not very consistent, and the tide can really rip through there at times. More consistent marks are the East Blackstone Reef and the Mew Stone at Dartmouth.

We have had Bream when drifting the wreck of the Emsstrom, which is very, very close to there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2022 at 7:50 AM, Andy135 said:

Thanks Gary. Do you have side-scan sonar on your boat? If so you could try searching for new marks by looking for nesting sites. They're easy to spot if they're there. Bream like a rocky bottom with a thin covering of shingle or gravel. Start your search by checking the charts in your area for locations showing a rock and/or gravelly bottom composition - on Navionics this is indicated by a capital R for Rock, and G for Gravel.

Here's an example in your neck of the woods where I'd start looking.

cZ9I0fA.jpeg

I’ve only got an old garmin 551? Gpsmap unit which doesn’t show images like the ones you put up. The navionics on my tablet has become my new best friend helping to pinpoint likely looking spots and funnily enough, my last trip saw us anchored very close to where you have marked those spots. Thanks for the tip though, I usually get fixated with the relief shading looking for banks, depressions etc…I should probably start with the more simple views to get a better idea of what the ground is made up of 😊 
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Maybe @Andy135 could put up a post with screen shots of different sea beds, showing what colour means what ? 

Sea floor composition is indicated by letters on charts, like the ones I circled above.

Are you referrring to bottom hardness colours on sonar images? If so, then the colours will be different between makes of sounder and also dependent upon whatever colour palette the user has chosen. Generally the brighter/closer to white a bottom return is, the harder it is e.g. rock, boulders, and the darker the colour the softer it will be (mud, fine sand etc). Bottom hardness won't tell you specifically what the bottom composition is but you can use it to make an educated guess when combined with a little local knowledge.

Here's an example from Doctor Sonar. Yellow = harder bottom, dark orange/magenta = softer.

bottom_3_large.png?v=1587257573

  • Like 1
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...