Mobile devices

1 minute ago, Herbs73 said:

You don’t need a complete power loss you only need the display on your plotter to to go tits up. This happened on my vhf whilst out.
 Being able to “manually navigate”  enables you to get home without calling the coast guard.  

I agree… but I had 2 plotters and my GPS puck failed so I had my back up GPS from my AIS transponder on the network take over. 

A new puck was ££££ so I got a 2nd hand Simrad unit to add to my network for less money than a new NEMA2K puck… that had an inbuilt GPS…. I fixed the old puck but only after I had fitted my 2nd hand MFD…. So now it looks like star ship enterprise 🤣🤣 but I’ve got 3 MFDs, 3 GPS inputs hence my comments about relying on electronics. 

However, even with Radar and an AIS transponder and a full radar reflector I don’t head out in fog… If fog comes done I can get home.

Obvioouaky electronics can fail, just as my spaniel can eat a paper chart… so it’s all about risk management..

10 minutes ago, Herbs73 said:

You don’t need a complete power loss you only need the display on your plotter to to go tits up. This happened on my vhf whilst out.
 Being able to “manually navigate”  enables you to get home without calling the coast guard.  

Agreed - unit failure could also cause issues, which is why GPS's point above about redundancy is worthwhile i.e. have more than one plotter, so that if one should fail you can still navigate home on the other.

On a more serious note, I had a major tech failure on Saturday. I ran out of gas. I had only put half the pack of bacon in and it was just about crisping up enough to have a roll each (brown sauce). We had no hot water all day for coffee or pot noodles. This sort of thing is a real harsh learning curve. I considered putting out a pan pan but I felt a little embarrassed at my poor planning. 

6 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I agree… but I had 2 plotters and my GPS puck failed so I had my back up GPS from my AIS transponder on the network take over. 

A new puck was ££££ so I got a 2nd hand Simrad unit to add to my network for less money than a new NEMA2K puck… that had an inbuilt GPS…. I fixed the old puck but only after I had fitted my 2nd hand MFD…. So now it looks like star ship enterprise 🤣🤣 but I’ve got 3 MFDs, 3 GPS inputs hence my comments about relying on electronics. 

However, even with Radar and an AIS transponder and a full radar reflector I don’t head out in fog… If fog comes done I can get home.

Obvioouaky electronics can fail, just as my spaniel can eat a paper chart… so it’s all about risk management..

4 MFD's with inbuilt GPS here, plus a standalone GPS/electronic compass, plus a regular ships compass. And as it happens I too have a perpetually hungry spaniel... 🐶

1 minute ago, JonC said:

On a more serious note, I had a major tech failure on Saturday. I ran out of gas. I had only put half the pack of bacon in and it was just about crisping up enough to have a roll each (brown sauce). We had no hot water all day for coffee or pot noodles. This sort of thing is a real harsh learning curve. I considered putting out a pan pan but I felt a little embarrassed at my poor planning. 

I'm with you on the brown sauce. Ketchup has no place on my plate whatsoever.

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

Mayonnaise , it's the only sauce to have! Being a posh lad @Andy135id have thought you would know that. 

I thought you had hollandaise on your eggs Benedict and salmon for breakfast? 

The reality is ……

you should design the electronics on your boat so there is no ‘single point of failure’, in my world known as an SPF.

so, twin batteries that can be manually switched, twin or more plotters, at least two GPS sources, main radio plus handheld, etc, etc.

Just now, GPSguru said:

The reality is ……

you should design the electronics on your boat so there is no ‘single point of failure’, in my world known as an SPF.

so, twin batteries that can be manually switched, twin or more plotters, at least two GPS sources, main radio plus handheld, etc, etc.

That’s all good and well but it wouldn’t have helped my bacon cooking emergency 

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

The reality is ……

And take biscuits for hungry spaniels 🙄