22nd May - Mudstone Ledge, The Orestone, and Long Quarry.

GPSguru

Frankly, that's a great result. A coolbox full of blue gold. Well dangled everyone 👍

I'm always amazed at the sheer optimism of pout - what possessed him to think that a whole squid on a 4/0 would fit in his gob? 🤣. But clearly it did, so it's a fair catch.

I've heard of the Mudstone Ledge and how it can be a decent long drift with the tide all the way down to Scabbacombe. Looks like it should be rocky, snaggy and kelpy over the Ledge - decent pollack territory I would have thought?

7 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I've heard of the Mudstone Ledge and how it can be a decent long drift with the tide all the way down to Scabbacombe. Looks like it should be rocky, snaggy and kelpy over the Ledge - decent pollack territory I would have thought?

Yes, it depends on which way the tide is running. I tend to go there on the flood, the drift then takes me over the ledge and into the deep water toward Berry Head. In the past we have had Pollock, Cod, Whiting, Mackerel, Dogfish, Bull Huss, and Bass on those drifts. Whilst KKyle will usually fish with baited Hookai, I usually fish a 115mm Red Gill on tube boom from a rod holder, and SPJ with 150g jigs to find the better stamp of fish.

A lot of anglers anchor on the Ledge and fish the drop off.

12 hours ago, GPSguru said:

...I got the feeling that you needed to drop the tinsels right under a Mackerel nose !.

I have found that the old style mackerel spinner with a single hook works wonders in murky or slow conditions. I have mine on either a short snood behind a D-shaped trolling lead with either two above the lead on stiff loop droppers or more usually a short string of the usual tinsels/sabiki etc the buzz of the spinner gets them in close but you need a decent drift and to lower slowly. Works well on the kayak when moving between marks.

34 minutes ago, Malc said:

I have found that the old style mackerel spinner with a single hook works wonders in murky or slow conditions. I have mine on either a short snood behind a D-shaped trolling lead with either two above the lead on stiff loop droppers or more usually a short string of the usual tinsels/sabiki etc the buzz of the spinner gets them in close but you need a decent drift and to lower slowly. Works well on the kayak when moving between marks.

Another method we use here is to put on a 60 or 80g dexter wedge instead of the lead weight. It not only works as an attractor for the Mackerel, but has also accounted for some decent bass in the past.