Best charter plotter opinions

2 minutes ago, KennyPowers said:

Yes that’s exactly what I would want.

I can see why you need this after you last came out, getting kent and France mixed up and using seagulls as navigation marks 

22 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Sounds like it might be worth doing the calibration procedure again Gord. +/- 20 deg is too much variation. The Point-1 unit is accurate to 3 degrees, for example. What model is yours?

The autopilot was misbehaving but I found a bad connection which helped, not that it is very good at steering! I need to mess about with the gain to try and improve it but I don't mind actually steering myself. I have done the compass calibration twice with no improvement. It is a bit of a pain as it is hard to go so slowly in a circle. The equipment is Raymarine.

With the last boat I used my tablet if I was going anywhere, lining up the icon projection with where I wanted to go was handy for taking wind and tide into account. Would like to be able to do that with the Garmin device I have now.

3 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Simrad NSX 16…. Bush bash bosh job done 😉 

We’ve had a fair amount of issues with 16 NSW evo Simrads. They certainly don’t handle the bash bash very well and the touch screen is not so good compared to other brands. 

Also one of the boats I use recently had new autopilot fitted, linked with Simrad and seems to have a mind of its own.

Edited by JDP

10 hours ago, JDP said:

We’ve had a fair amount of issues with 16 NSW evo Simrads. They certainly don’t handle the bash bash very well and the touch screen is not so good compared to other brands. 

Also one of the boats I use recently had new autopilot fitted, linked with Simrad and seems to have a mind of its own.

I’ve not used one…. I’m on NSE12… had a play with NSS12 but still prefer the NSE…. I don’t think I’m the only one to want to stick with old stuff. 

Speaking to the rep he said not much difference but touchscreen etc, he even said he preferred the NSE over NSS….