Cable issue?

My friend has moved his batteries and when we went to start the engine it turned but didn't run. 

I remember from my time with a caravan that it was recommended to use larger not cheaper smaller diameter wire to prevent a loss of current (might not be but that's what I think I remember). Batteries seem OK as he used his meter on them and nothing else has been changed. 

Definitely need good quality, correctly sized cables. Could also be a bad connection if he's moved the batteries.

Recommend he double checks all connections, including those at the starter (could be a coincidental issue with the starter connections, which is easy to confirm or rule out).

What volts did he get at the meter? A healthy battery should be showing 12.6+ volts - anything closer to 12 may not actually give enough starting juice.

What size cable did he use ?

If the cable size was as per the original or  then there will not be an issue. Most fishing boats have a relatively short cable run, so generally there is not a problem.

If the engine was turning over strongly, then I would guess that the problem lies elsewhere, like immobilization.

You could check the voltage drop, by testing the voltage at the batteries during a short start period, and doing the same at the engine and noting the difference.

If the voltage drop was significant, then the engine would turn over very slowly or not at all, as the starter motor current is probably 40 - 80 amps for most fishing boat outboards / inboards.

10 minutes ago, Malc said:

My friend has moved his batteries and when we went to start the engine it turned but didn't run. 

I remember from my time with a caravan that it was recommended to use larger not cheaper smaller diameter wire to prevent a loss of current (might not be but that's what I think I remember). Batteries seem OK as he used his meter on them and nothing else has been changed. 

Hi Malc

i still have this cable sitting around doing nothing. PM me if of interest. The price would be far cheaper than anything you could buy. 

Also have a couple of battery boxes. 

10 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Hi Malc

i still have this cable sitting around doing nothing. PM me if of interest. The price would be far cheaper than anything you could buy. 

If only you had it in other colours and sizes 

12 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Hi Malc

Many thanks, will keep that in mind but he thinks he may be able to get something here today. We need it sorted by Thursday at the latest as we are off to the MOGSAF tope festival on Friday and he is at work Monday and Tuesday. 

12 hours ago, Andy135 said:

12.6+ volts

One was 12.7 the other 11.6

12 hours ago, GPSguru said:

If the cable size was as per the original or  then there will not be an issue. Most fishing boats have a relatively short cable run...

Not original and he moved it from port aft to stbd midships but I'm not sure of the cable length but over 2m I would imagine. 

37 minutes ago, Malc said:

If the Start battery was at 11.6v then this could be the issue. Still check for dodgy connections though, including ensuring the battery post clamps are tight.

The important thing is the current that the battery can supply. You could still get a decent voltage reading even if the connections were not fully tight. To use the voltage as a reference the reading needs to be taken under load conditions and you should not rely on meter readings taken under no load conditions. If the new battery has been situated further away from original it may need heavier duty cables to prevent volt drop under load. Geoff.🙂

3 hours ago, Malc said:

Not original and he moved it from port aft to stbd midships but I'm not sure of the cable length but over 2m I would imagine. 

Which battery is  11.6, start or House ?

Is the twin battery control automatic via a VSR, or is it manually switched via an OFF, 1, 2, BOTH switch ( which I prefer) ?

next job will be to charge the battery and get the engine running to check the charging voltage at each battery.

If the flat battery is 5 or more years old, it will be best to replace it.

Edited by GPSguru

2 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Which battery is  11.6, start or House ?

Is the twin battery control automatic via a VSR, or is it manually switched via an OFF, 1, 2, BOTH switch ( which I prefer) ?

next job will be to charge the battery and get the engine running to check the charging voltage at each battery.

If the flat battery is 5 or more years old, it will be best to replace it.

Unfortunately that's above my pay grade 😆

I'll copy this to him so that he can see the replies 

6 minutes ago, Malc said:

UPDATE 

Thanks one and all, he replaced the cable and it started first time. Really appreciate all your input, thanks again. 

Yes, that is great,  but he still needs to keep an eye on the 11.6v battery, just in case,

1. The battery is faulty

2. The dual charging system is faulty.

2 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Yes, that is great,  but he still needs to keep an eye on the 11.6v battery, just in case,

1. The battery is faulty

2. The dual charging system is faulty.

I believe he knows the battery is possibly on the way but will pass on all your replies, again many thanks 👍

Its amazing how electricity will draw corrosion through the entire cable if salt water is allowed to get around the connections. Its also not good investment to use low quality cheap wire when replacing on any 12v system. One of the best things I bought was a battery and load tester, especially with a family of 5 who all have vehicles and boats etc https://www.foxwelltech.com/product/item-190.html.

Informative young fella explaining wire quality 

Edited by JDP