Something different

JDP

Headed into the mountains on Saturday targeting trout but the weather was so bad I gave up after copping a flogging from both wet and snowy weather. The 3.5hr drive each way drains it out of you after a sleepless night buried in snow sleeping in a swag and gale force winds sounding like a jet engine through the alpine trees.

As soon as I got home I heard from my son who had been working the other side of the snowy mountains and wanting a lift home. Shame he hadn't asked the day before when I was only 2hrs from him!!!! Anyway like any parent would I agreed to head off the flooring morning on the 500km drive over the mountains to get him.

On the morning extreme weather warning of 100kh winds, snow blizzards and fallen trees had me having to turn back and take a different route around the mountains rather than over them. It was still a wet and wild drive but I managed to reach him by lunch time and decided to take the shorter run (by 45km) over the mountains, knowing the snow ploughs would of cleared the way. I had also taken my dog so she could experience the snow for the first time!!!!

All went well on the lower parts of the mountain and the dog loved the white stuff!!!!!...however up higher the roads were packed solid and the wind was again driving snow sideways making seeing the road only possible by the side depth markers. 

As a brief break in the snow appeared we came across two people who had just rolled their vehicle. This area is remote and the nearest help was 95km ahead or 80km behind, to add to this there was no phone reception on three of our phones, the fourth did. Luckily one phone was able to reach emergency services who I had the most frustrating experience with as they didn't seem to understand we weren't simply close to a road intersection that we couldn't give an exact location to. I did offer gps numbers but they said that wouldn't help. I explained we couldn't stay where we were due to the weather conditions and getting stuck ourselves, I also explained we were in a two seat 4x4 already loaded with my adult son, large dog, guitars etc etc. Not a problem they said, help is on the way and it was ok to leave the people with their vehicle in bellow freezing temps on top of a mountain in a blizzard.

The people spoke very little English but enough to understand that a rescue was on its way, however I insisted they squeeze into our two seater while we all wait for the rescue. Soon the weather turned pear shaped and even with the engine running and heater on full our vehicle started turning into a large snowball and ice. 

After 30mins we saw a vehicle approach with flashing lights just before dark and we all felt a little relieved. Not the case this was just a road worker making the final pass along the mountain road on his way out of there. He was shocked to find us and told us there had been no reports of anyone stuck up there and there certainly wasn't a rescue on its way. He also stated the road was now very bad in both directions and how no other vehicles would be using the road until the snow ploughs clear it the following morning. Next the fire brigade calls us to tell us we were now the rescue and they were leaving it in our hands!!!!...So now it was a case of push on with four adults and a dog in the two seat 4x4.

We did some slipping and sliding but made it to the closet town two hours after dark. Stopped at the service station that does the vehicle recoveries who pretty much said they are closing and come back tomorrow, couldn't find any accommodation in town for them so ended up squeezing them back in the vehicle for another 60k run to the next town where we were at least able to find them accommodation. From there we had another 3hrs drive to get home, 13hrs of driving, 2 1/2 tanks of fuel and we made it home feeling well and truly over the snow. 

51ABF02E-D0E2-404E-834C-1EC4EC1241A4.png.af2e54826cd1f5f33eae47363d7c73d0.png

17ECEE46-40B0-40FF-95AF-877937B91F90.png.389671168fd18ffa07cba563243a5f57.png

Edited by JDP

41 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Probably, especially as they were not 25 generations if anglo saxon 😛😇🙄🤣

Wouldn’t you lot be Anglo Saxons? More likely some Celt or Britton? 

1 minute ago, JonC said:

Wouldn’t you lot be Anglo Saxons? More likely some Celt or Britton? 

ffs, get it right, the word you are looking for in your limited Essex vocabulary is Bretton.

Anyway, even though I have lived here since 3 years old, I am actually a cockney , born within the sound of Bow bells.

17 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

ffs, get it right, the word you are looking for in your limited Essex vocabulary is Bretton.

Anyway, even though I have lived here since 3 years old, I am actually a cockney , born within the sound of Bow bells.

Why do people say all that cockney nonsense? Is it something to be proud of? 

1 hour ago, JonC said:

Why ? You’ve just been born in an area, that’s not an achievement? 

Who said anything about it being an achievement ? It is just a fact and some people are proud of the fact.

You seem to have a penchant for twisting words and meanings to suit your own very strange agenda, especially when you are on the losing side. 🙄

#twatfromessexloser🤣

Edited by GPSguru

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

Who said anything about it being an achievement ? It is just a fact and some people are proud of the fact.

You seem to have a penchant for twisting words and meanings to suit your own very strange agenda, especially when you are on the losing side. 🙄

#twatfromessexloser🤣

Your the one sitting there eating jellied eels with Chas and Dave belting out 

22 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

i was born in north London , but Nan and  Pop were cockneys and proud of being one. its about the community,

i think you better get some more treatment from Andy

I was born in Mile End, then lived in Holland Park, then moved to Devon

My Dad was born and lived his childhood in Islington, he went to the original Islington Green school, many years later, the Green school kids' choir featured in the massive hit for Pink Floyd, Another brick in the wall.