Skids v rollers

Moorings provide 24hrs access (if deep water). Electricity, water, and security depending on what marina you use. 
Also dry stack is good for access, but you can't holiday for the weekend on top of a stack. 
We use our boat all summer even if the weather is crap, it's our weekend holiday home from home. 
All the creature comforts condensed into 28ft! Cosy! 

The only down side (but not a real one) is you can't trailer my boat to Cornwall or wherever. But for us in the Solent that's not an issue as we have lovely places to go and we don't get bored.  

2 hours ago, Malc said:

Pros and cons for vessels kept mainly on moorings please?

Do you mean bunk trailers vs roller trailers?

If so, go for rollers every time. So, so, so much easier to slide your boat off rollers. In fact I'd say it's impossible to slide a boat off a bunk trailer into the water. With bunks you really need to float the boat off and onto them, which requires fully submerging the bunks first - not ideal for the trailer chassis.

With rollers you can tippytoe the trailer up to the water's edge to just get the tyres wet, then simply push the boat off the rollers by hand and watch it glide in to the briny on it's own.

However if you're referring to something else entirely then feel free to ignore me. 🤦‍♂️🤣

I guess bunks are OK is you are only going to use the trailer a couple of times per year for boat maintenance, but yes, Andy is correct in that you have to float the boat on and off the bunks, however, you can drive the boat on and off the bunks to save some of the hard winch work

For general launch and recover, then a roller trailer with front and rear swing beams makes life very easy indeed. I launch and recover my 5.85m rib (1.2T) single-handed, and that is on a slipway  that has a 6kt cross tide running on full spring tides.

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Did I get the wrong end of the stick? 

Probably my fault. 

Bunks? Yeah the long felt(?) covered planks, seem to be a nightmare to get on and off.  The boat is trailered to take on occasional trips and for maintenance so I think rollers would be best. 

Muchas gracias one and all!

1 hour ago, Malc said:

Probably my fault. 

Bunks? Yeah the long felt(?) covered planks, seem to be a nightmare to get on and off.  The boat is trailered to take on occasional trips and for maintenance so I think rollers would be best. 

Muchas gracias one and all!

There is another consideration, if the boat has been moored for an while, even a small amount of barnacle growth can make it a nightmare to winch onto bunks, as you will always need to winch the last 2m, even with the trailer submerged and the tow vehicle rear wheels at the waterline. With rollers the winching is still sometimes difficult, but a damn sight easier than bunks. The last one I did on a bunked trailer was a 27ft Bayliner Classic (3.5T) that had been in for a season. I need to use the hand winch and a ratchet strap to pull it up to the bow snubber on the trailer.

5 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Did I get the wrong end of the stick? 

You've answered your own question... ⬇️⬇️🤦‍♂️

37 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yeah but I didn't read that bit. So 👅

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

Yep that's you in the middle! 

🤣 I didn't even spot that she was ginger! Just searched for "girl fight" on Giphy and this was the first one that came up.

You must be the dark-haired one having it yanked then.

Most trailer boats run on skid trailers these days over here. This was my last trailer which had both skids and rollers. 

The work boat I skipper is launched almost everyday of the week and has a full skid trailer for quick and easy drive on and off use. We don't use the winch at all, its simply drive on and hitch the winch and safety chain. I'll do a few pics of the work boat trailer next week when Im next in that one.

IMG_4352.jpg

FDD9967F-5B46-4D4C-97CD-A26DAAEC6FB0_1_105_c.jpeg