Second attempt this season.

Josh

Love it! Great write up, with some good fish even if not the target species. Well done as always Josh! 👍

• Like 1

You need to watch what you’re doing with those sausages, you near on burnt the little fuckers. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JonC said:

You need to watch what you’re doing with those sausages, you near on burnt the little fuckers. 

They look a bit pale, too much bread content I reckon. 
I prefer a Cumberland.

Nice tope though @Josh.

• Haha 1

Nice tope, got to be in to win it and I’m sure you’ll be on the threshers soon enough 🙂 

Sadly as rare as hens teeth around west wales 😭

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Nice tope, got to be in to win it and I’m sure you’ll be on the threshers soon enough 🙂 

Sadly as rare as hens teeth around west wales 😭

Imagine how cool it’ll be when you do get one 🤞

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

They look a bit pale, too much bread content I reckon. 
I prefer a Cumberland.

Nice tope though @Josh.

Haha cheers mate 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonC said:

Lol ! I know especially as these were from M N S 😳

2 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Love it! Great write up, with some good fish even if not the target species. Well done as always Josh! 👍

Cheers Andy 😎🤙

8 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

great pics and write up! 

Speaking of burnt, how’s your sunburn getting on? 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Josh said:

Solo yesterday which meant a little tricky getting in n out 

Launch and recover at Chichester was both ebbing tides

Which means boats being pulled round to be fair if it wasn’t for a guy I shouted to to jump on the winch I’m not sure how I’d of recovered the boat

I launch and recover solo pretty much all the time, and my local slip is at right angles to the flow on the estuary, which can be 6knts on springs. I often sit there and have my lunch just to watch people feck it up badly, which is quite entertaining. My boat probably weighs about the same as yours (1.2T)

The secret is having the right trailer and that it is set up correctly.

You need a roller trailer with a rear swing beam, and I would assume that is what you have ?

The biggest problem is getting the boat to be almost straight, and staying there whilst you connect the winch strap

Before you come to the trailer, clip on a 5.5m painter to the bow eye. Bring the boat to the trailer and then climb on the trailer (or wade) pulling the painter until the rear swing beam rotates 90 degrees and the rearmost rollers start to lock the bow, keep the tension on the painter (not a huge amount), and you will see the boat straighten up in the tide, once straight, tie off the painter to the winch post, and then run out the winch strap and pull the boat on.

• Informative 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

I launch and recover solo pretty much all the time, and my local slip is at right angles to the flow on the estuary, which can be 6knts on springs. I often sit there and have my lunch just to watch people feck it up badly, which is quite entertaining. My boat probably weighs about the same as yours (1.2T)

The secret is having the right trailer and that it is set up correctly.

You need a roller trailer with a rear swing beam, and I would assume that is what you have ?

The biggest problem is getting the boat to be almost straight, and staying there whilst you connect the winch strap

Before you come to the trailer, clip on a 5.5m painter to the bow eye. Bring the boat to the trailer and then climb on the trailer (or wade) pulling the painter until the rear swing beam rotates 90 degrees and the rearmost rollers start to lock the bow, keep the tension on the painter (not a huge amount), and you will see the boat straighten up in the tide, once straight, tie off the painter to the winch post, and then run out the winch strap and pull the boat on.

Nice one @GPSguru

im going to study this not so sure what you mean by painter ?

Yes the second I got the nose levelled into swing cradle … I needed to be at the front . On the winch

and the more ass end the boat was the quicker it was ripping round …

not easy but sounds like a strategy what your saying 

Edited by Josh

A painter is just a length of rope that attaches to the recovery eye, it should not reach the engine. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I find it easier recovering the ribs we use if the trailer isn’t too far in, so the boat located in the rollers rather than floating about. That said we use a modified slip loader as a tractor so that helps 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Josh said:

Nice one @GPSguru

im going to study this not so sure what you mean by painter ?

Yes the second I got the nose levelled into swing cradle … I needed to be at the front . On the winch

and the more ass end the boat was the quicker it was ripping round …

not easy but sounds like a strategy what your saying 

A painter is just the name of a rope on the bow, just a nautical term !

So, just set up a length of rope (I use 10mm 3 strand nylon) with a carabiner clip on one end to connect to the bow eye.

Pull the boat so that the swing beam roller start locking the bow and the boat will slowly pull straight with a little pressure on the rope. Once it is straight, tie off the rope to the winch post (keeping the tension on it). That rope will hold the boat in the right position for you to connect the winch strap and apply more tension with the winch.

Some folk leave the bow rope on all the time, if you do, then make sure it is slightly shorter than the boat, because if it ever came loose, you don't want to get prop wrapped !

• Like 1

Full out revs straight at your trailer, hit it right and you won’t need to winch it on 😉 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

A painter is just the name of a rope on the bow, just a nautical term !

So, just set up a length of rope (I use 10mm 3 strand nylon) with a carabiner clip on one end to connect to the bow eye.

Pull the boat so that the swing beam roller start locking the bow and the boat will slowly pull straight with a little pressure on the rope. Once it is straight, tie off the rope to the winch post (keeping the tension on it). That rope will hold the boat in the right position for you to connect the winch strap and apply more tension with the winch.

Some folk leave the bow rope on all the time, if you do, then make sure it is slightly shorter than the boat, because if it ever came loose, you don't want to get prop wrapped !

Okay got you now ,

im sure that would work especially if your saying so from experience  in the tide your saying you do that in.

although it’s seems in my mind right now still difficult…what I love about this stuff you never stop learning

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

Okay got you now ,

im sure that would work especially if your saying so from experience  in the tide your saying you do that in.

although it’s seems in my mind right now still difficult…what I love about this stuff you never stop learning

No, not difficult, the bow rope makes a difficult job easy ! 😉

It holds the boat to give you enough time to connect the winch strap. Without it, even in a mediocre cross tide, the boat is sideways on very quickly, because the ass end of the boat is out in the current.

I use one of these spliced onto the end of the rope (only coz  I like splicing ropes !), but you could easily tie it on.

spacer.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GPSguru said:

No, not difficult, the bow rope makes a difficult job easy ! 😉

It holds the boat to give you enough time to connect the winch strap. Without it, even in a mediocre cross tide, the boat is sideways on very quickly, because the ass end of the boat is out in the current.

I use one of these spliced onto the end of the rope (only coz  I like splicing ropes !), but you could easily tie it on.

spacer.png

Look forward to giving it a try thanks @GPSguru😎

I always clip winch strap to eye at rear of trailer before putting trailer in water,hold rib hard against rollers with one hand and clip on strap keeping tension as I go forward to winch,

I always try to face trailer so they both line up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1