Tyneside 16/6/20

Malc

Brilliant! What a great session! Sounds like you all had fun, but especially your wife. Kudos to her and well done to her ghillie 😉

My wife is so uninterested in fishing and boating - I'd love to get her out but sadly she prefers dry land every time.

3 hours ago, Malc said:

Have you ever been embarrassed by your wife, husband, or partner?

Plan was to go out at the top of the tide and hopefully see if there are codling about and if not early mackerel. I got a phone call just before lunch by my friend asking what time we were finishing our grandparenting as he could be finished early and his wife was day off. So we, me and my wife, he and his, headed out of the Tyne an hour and a half early. His wife is an accomplished angler, my wife has fished but is a bit of a noob. I set her up with a two hook paternoster with size one worm hooks and 4" sandeel slug type lures and a lead below, I usually use this with a bigger shad instead of a weight and it is usually the little sandeels that do the biz. I spent time with her telling and showing her how to present the rig as she didn't want to embarrass herself. 

First drift and she is in with a small codling and is beaming smiles so I can relax. Err, no! Apart from one drift where no one got anything I was acting as her ghillie landing and unhooking fish after fish and occasionally tying on a new rotten bottom . I was just using a paddle tail shad and not a scooby. The women were beating us hands down until my traitorous mate caught one and the taunts started. "How many have you caught?", "I've caught..." "How about you Malc?" Oh how I laughed. 

Long story short, she had well over 20 codling including a double header and a decent pollock and probably had more than the rest of us combined. I didn't blank however and managed a decent cod. We kept 3 that were deep hooked and they kept 4 for the smoker.

I had the best time seeing her so animated as she struggled with fish up to 5lb on a 4000 shimano and 20-40gm lure rod and she certainly deserved her "wee" GnT.

received_544273620564102.thumb.jpeg.36191ad7fd11d5e83942db8984d72998.jpeg

Happy girl (don't worry most were T barred at the side or dispatched quickly)20220617_083303.thumb.jpg.afe92986db80bf405a0e8bce3422ff66.jpg

Outbound

Don't worry Malc, it is the norm for the wife to outfish you. My wife is always first onto the Mack, and has such a laid back approach to fishing, she often gets some very decent catches.

I remember last year out wrecking, she can't be bothered with fishing shads and eels with all that winding and dropping etc, so I put on a string of 3 red lumi 6/0 gummi makks for her, and with in minutes she was struggling to hold the rod and shouting for help .............. she had hooked 3 Pollock of which the smallest was 6lb and the largest was 9lb ........

I get out fished, out classed in boat handling which you could say is embarrassing but I would call it more a case of pride when my daughter fishes with me. Same goes for when the wife comes along for the occasional fish, even though that's more a case of doing 90% for her!!!!!!

I've given it my best fishing side by side with my daughter and when I still haven't landed a fish and she's got around 10 onboard I know Im outclassed. I suppose fishing everyday of the week helps!!!!