Slow jigging

jonnyswamp

From 60g up to 1kg jigs all of mine are single hooks at the top of the jig. When tying the jig to your main line, depending which side of the ring you tie your main line can make a difference in hooking fish, especially on the retrieve pull. I never tie off a split ring and only join to the solid rings, the reason being is strength.

In these two images you will note that in one the hook turns in towards the lure and the other turns out. It's obvious that the turned in hook will miss some bites and a simple case of having the assist hook cord on the left or right hand side of the mainline knot is all that's needed to correct this. It's amazing how many people I fish with miss this simple little thing, some I don't tell!!!!!

By the way this is a cheap samaki jig in 150g that come rigged for about £5, with one side coloured and the other luminous, these are the jigs I lend out on my boat rather than hand out expensive jigs.

IMG_4906.thumb.JPG.0117668c504852831ebedc7c8ee04ab4.JPG

IMG_4907.thumb.JPG.a0ab62b9896ccdd518d947e7bf028bbf.JPG

2 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

OK, my first lot of 200g lures turned up today

These are bare, if fishing over a wreck, would you use 2 sets of hooks (top and bottom) or just one set on the top to avoid constant snagging the wreck

Single assist or double ?

Hook size, 4/0, 5/0 or 6/0 ?

When wrecking just the top.

A lot of jigs come with twin assist, but I often change them for single assist.

How many jigs have you got, as I might have something useful !

Edited by GPSguru

3 hours ago, JDP said:

From 60g up to 1kg jigs all of mine are single hooks at the top of the jig. When tying the jig to your main line, depending which side of the ring you tie your main line can make a difference in hooking fish, especially on the retrieve pull. I never tie off a split ring and only join to the solid rings, the reason being is strength.

In these two images you will note that in one the hook turns in towards the lure and the other turns out. It's obvious that the turned in hook will miss some bites and a simple case of having the assist hook cord on the left or right hand side of the mainline knot is all that's needed to correct this. It's amazing how many people I fish with miss this simple little thing, some I don't tell!!!!!

By the way this is a cheap samaki jig in 150g that come rigged for about £5, with one side coloured and the other luminous, these are the jigs I lend out on my boat rather than hand out expensive jigs.

IMG_4906.thumb.JPG.0117668c504852831ebedc7c8ee04ab4.JPG

IMG_4907.thumb.JPG.a0ab62b9896ccdd518d947e7bf028bbf.JPG

It is nice to see them rigged properly Jon, with twin rings ..................

Edited by GPSguru

3 hours ago, GPSguru said:

It is nice to see them rigged properly Jon, with twin rings ..................

What you can do that way is simply use a decent pair of split ring pliers to remove the jig rather than have hooks on all the jigs, that way the same assist hook stays on the main line and saves re-tying.

7 hours ago, GPSguru said:

When wrecking just the top.

A lot of jigs come with twin assist, but I often change them for single assist.

How many jigs have you got, as I might have something useful !

I bought 5 200g jigs and have on order some 4/0, 5/0 and 6/0 twin assist hooks coming next week

If I ever get back on a South coast boat (have a few wrecking trips booked out of Dartmouth up until March) I'll give them a go

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, GPSguru said:

This quite interesting, especially the Shimano Reel .............. I can see me spending some more cash !

Boat is quite nice as well...........

Very well engineered bit of kit, I’ve got 1500HG and 2000NRHG for the coming season

11 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Don’t you have any English speaking jiggers? 

Trouble is, the japs invent all the best jigging gear and not all of them speak the language of choice, which is the queens english !

I will find a vid from ‘Hoto’ who is a jap skipper and speaks anglais.

On 2/10/2021 at 12:59 AM, GPSguru said:

I use the Hearty Rise Slow Jigging II rods, but I am not sure I would put on the power like these guys do !

They just hauled in a Pacific Thresher on those tiny whippy jigging rods!! 😱😆👍

18 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

£200 to the trade ? 

Not so optimistic actually.a few years ago I purchased a continental rod, rrp was £360. The tackle shop guy left his catalogue on the counter. For him to buy from the manufacturer the cost was £180. A terrible mark up. Worse than my charges.