Slow jigging

jonnyswamp

On 2/10/2021 at 11:59 AM, GPSguru said:

I use the Hearty Rise Slow Jigging II rods, but I am not sure I would put on the power like these guys do !

Its amazing how many small skinny rod builders have popped up copying Jigging masters designs, even using the same name on some of the products https://www.jiggingmaster.com .

It was these rods that allowed my kids to take on fish conventional rods and reels couldn't do some 15yrs ago. Jigging master are the pioneers in these skinny blank designs, I have 12 of their outfits from jigging to popping and even a beach rod, these are in my opinion as good as they get. 

The ocean legacy my daughter is using was just a cheap similar design, a rod I can lend to friends on my boat without the risk of them perhaps dropping a more costly JM over the side. 

When I first started mentioning JM rods on the old site people could get their head around the fact my young kids were catching large fish and also getting them to the boat quickly. As you could see in the above video, the angler pulled a nice sized thresher to the boat backwards with very little effort. Not only was the shark pulled to the boat backwards, its condition when release looked far healthier than any shark Ive seen pulled in on conventional sharking gear. Far more lighter, smaller and powerful rods that make easy work without getting a sore back from jigging and catching hard fighting fish all day. Even those depths of 500m are similar to some of the depths we jig. 

The action a jig has on these style of rods is far different from conventional rods we ever had the opportunity to use wrecking when I lived in the UK, these rods are designed specially to tailor the action of the jigs.

13 minutes ago, JDP said:

Its amazing how many small skinny rod builders have popped up copying Jigging masters designs, even using the same name on some of the products https://www.jiggingmaster.com .

It was these rods that allowed my kids to take on fish conventional rods and reels couldn't do some 15yrs ago. Jigging master are the pioneers in these skinny blank designs, I have 12 of their outfits from jigging to popping and even a beach rod, these are in my opinion as good as they get. 

The ocean legacy my daughter is using was just a cheap similar design, a rod I can lend to friends on my boat without the risk of them perhaps dropping a more costly JM over the side. 

When I first started mentioning JM rods on the old site people could get their head around the fact my young kids were catching large fish and also getting them to the boat quickly. As you could see in the above video, the angler pulled a nice sized thresher to the boat backwards with very little effort. Not only was the shark pulled to the boat backwards, its condition when release looked far healthier than any shark Ive seen pulled in on conventional sharking gear. Far more lighter, smaller and powerful rods that make easy work without getting a sore back from jigging and catching hard fighting fish all day. Even those depths of 500m are similar to some of the depths we jig. 

The action a jig has on these style of rods is far different from conventional rods we ever had the opportunity to use wrecking when I lived in the UK, these rods are designed specially to tailor the action of the jigs.

How much are those Jigging Master rods over there Jon? Might have to consider investing in one.

48 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

How much are those Jigging Master rods over there Jon? Might have to consider investing in one.

They are a USA company and their products are very good  and respected in the industry. Their Slow Pitch rods are usually sub £250 unless you want the Gangster Titanium which is £800 ish.

Amazon is always a good call for Jigging Master.

58 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I just had a look at the trade directory and Jigabite are the UK dealers.

Here you go ........... https://www.jigabite.co.uk/productspds.aspx?sectionID=470&mv=0&sn=0

6 hours ago, Andy135 said:

There are so many rods made by them with varying budgets, with the higher end stuff being around $800 AU which is about 400 UK. They are a Taiwan company not US, or at least they weren't. 

In all honestly when I first started buying their gear there was very little that compared in these skinny powerful style rods, now there are numerous companies following their lead. Many of these other companies also make very good rods but are less than half the money, hence why I have the likes of the ocean legacy rods on my boat as well now. Jigging master built a reputation very quickly by making rods that stopped fish like big kingfish and dogtooth tuna (record fish) so now much of their high price is from that reputation and not because they are any better than some other very good rods out there. 

12 hours ago, GPSguru said:

I just had a look at the trade directory and Jigabite are the UK dealers.

Here you go ........... https://www.jigabite.co.uk/productspds.aspx?sectionID=470&mv=0&sn=0

Terry’s a good mate of mine, he now has a fantastic showroom on the south coast 

9 hours ago, JDP said:

There are so many rods made by them with varying budgets, with the higher end stuff being around $800 AU which is about 400 UK. They are a Taiwan company not US, or at least they weren't. 

In all honestly when I first started buying their gear there was very little that compared in these skinny powerful style rods, now there are numerous companies following their lead. Many of these other companies also make very good rods but are less than half the money, hence why I have the likes of the ocean legacy rods on my boat as well now. Jigging master built a reputation very quickly by making rods that stopped fish like big kingfish and dogtooth tuna (record fish) so now much of their high price is from that reputation and not because they are any better than some other very good rods out there. 

I had a very quick look at the site and was bamboozled by the choice in the range. For this type of fishing how do you know (guess) which is the right rod for you??

8 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

I had a very quick look at the site and was bamboozled by the choice in the range. For this type of fishing how do you know (guess) which is the right rod for you??

Primarily jig weight capability, and then it comes down to physical rod weight and length ............

Lighter is better as you are holding and working the rod all the time.

8 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Much is towards budget like any other manufacturer. They produce some of their gear for those who can afford and only want the best but also gear that does the same job at a lower budget, like comparing a Shimano Saragosa to a Stella. Its not just the rod fittings but what goes into the blank itself.

Its not just budget either, like any fishing, each style of jigging and target species has its own style of rod to make the lure work at its best. Take for instance their (egi) squid fishing rods, these are built for the dedicated angler who targets squid with specific weight squid jigs. Go to heavy or to light and the action of the lure will not perform as intended. 

The owners of the company regularly field test their gear this side of the pond, something they pretty much do all the time at locations where big fish are quick to find and test gear on. They don't simply make a rod size and hope it works, these are tuned to the style of lure fishing they were built for. I wouldn't recommend buying any of their rods outside of a lure class they were built for within reason. buying a rod intended for 80g - 120g but thinking you will go the next size up because you like heavier rods will not give you the same working action on those light lures. 

Jigging lures aren't simply all the same either, as you can see by the range and style on their site. These aren't simply pretty coloured weights to get down to the fish, each has an action and style with a tremendous amount of testing behind it (which others try to copy).

Every rod is factory tested to the specification rating on the blank, so when a rod has a rating of say 32kg at 90' it has actually been tested to that. Most of the rods intended for big angry fish tend to be very parabolic allowing the angler to put huge pressure on fish without the hurt being transferred back to the angler, hence how my kids were knocking over big fish when they were very young.

Their reels often have drag setting of around true 45kg and even more on some of their reels. These allow you to lock and drag some fish away from structure in the initial part of a fight or simply get the fish quickly to the boat before sharks wise up to the fight. 

Unlike most rod manufacture's TM rods seem to of gained a cult following where the second-hand market remains extremely high and  holds value. You rarely see these rods for sale secondhand for more than a few hours on any social media. 

With all the above mentioned I do in fact use some of my JM jigging rods for livebaiting and pulling marlin and tuna lures etc. Just because they are built for a specific jig style and action doesn't mean you have to stick with that. Personally I would happily use a 150g jig rod with lures to 250g but not so much a 250g lure rod on lures of 150g.

I recently bought a secondhand popping JM rod that my daughter instantly put claim to. She is thrilled using this rod compared with other high end outfits she can use on the charter boats she skippers and has already caught numerous bluefin and yellowfin tuna of around 150lb on it. By the way our 150lb tuna's look the same in size to the the ones many in the UK are estimating around 600lb!!!!!

On 2/13/2021 at 11:19 AM, Ivan Tuna said:

So.... I've just had a very informative phone call with Terry, and I now have some shiny new lockdown tackle on its way... 😁 👍

2 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Go on then, what have you splashed out on now to up your lsd catch rate?

You'll have to wait and see. I'll post up some pics when the stuff arrives.

Remember that @Ivan Tuna and I have a little competition going to see who can catch a doggie on a lure... with this new kit, it's in the bag! 🤣

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

Remember that @Ivan Tuna and I have a little competition going to see who can catch a doggie on a lure... with this new kit, it's in the bag! 🤣

Ok but a lure is like a surface popper or a shallow diver. Not a pirk. so let’s hope you’ve not spunked in triumph too prematurely ! 💪🏻💦🐶

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

Ok but a lure is like a surface popper or a shallow diver. Not a pirk. so let’s hope you’ve not spunked in triumph too prematurely ! 💪🏻💦🐶

Not true. A lure is anything that's not bait.

On 2/13/2021 at 11:19 AM, Ivan Tuna said:

I rang Terry today and have ordered a Shimano 1500HG F Special, but the delivery date is unknown and TBH Shimano reels are a bit like gold dust in the UK at the moment.

I also pulled the trigger on a Maxel Rage25H as I needed a faster reel for next time I go out. These come out of the same factory as the JM Ocean Devil  which is legendary for its free spool performance. All of the Maxel range runs in SS bearings and SS gear sets.

For those that are confused about needing a faster reel for slow jigging, ............ it is all about the length of line retrieved per handle quarter turn, half turn, and full turn. A higher geared reel is less work for the user.

4 hours ago, Andy135 said:

I reckon a rub of “Smelly Jelly (pink)” on a savage gear sand eel and the doggies will be fighting over it. 

58 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

I rang Terry today and have ordered a Shimano 1500HG F Special, but the delivery date is unknown and TBH Shimano reels are a bit like gold dust in the UK at the moment.

I also pulled the trigger on a Maxel Rage25H as I needed a faster reel for next time I go out. These come out of the same factory as the JM Ocean Devil  which is legendary for its free spool performance. All of the Maxel range runs in SS bearings and SS gear sets.

For those that are confused about needing a faster reel for slow jigging, ............ it is all about the length of line retrieved per handle quarter turn, half turn, and full turn. A higher geared reel is less work for the user.

Fantastic little reels buddy - you’ll be well pleased

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

My Shimanos were 6 weeks from Mr Fish in Jersey

9 minutes ago, Ivan Tuna said:

My Shimanos were 6 weeks from Mr Fish in Jersey

As always with Shimano, everybody is similar in price ........... I think on the UK mainland it will be a choice between Terry and Uttings ..............

However, I can wait as the new Maxel will be here later this week to keep me going .................