Slow jigging

jonnyswamp

3 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Can't make out the name of the rod. Photo's a bit blurry. Salty Beast?

Yeah, spro salty beast 245 traveller

sorry for the poor pic quality, it’s nearly Friday beer o’clock and I’m shaking in anticipation. 

5 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yeah, spro salty beast 245 traveller

sorry for the poor pic quality, it’s nearly Friday beer o’clock and I’m shaking in anticipation. 

Spro have a good reputation for bass lure rods, but I don't know much (ok, anything) about their jigging rods. I look forward to giving it a wiggle next time we're out 😉

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

Spro have a good reputation for bass lure rods, but I don't know much (ok, anything) about their jigging rods. I look forward to giving it a wiggle next time we're out 😉

I bought it to take to Norway. It’s rated up to 550g 😮

I bet @Terry Smith could be more informative. 

This is Dave Barham and Pete Cook testing the HTO slow jigs in 2015, this was before slow jigging rods had made it in numbers into the UK and they were using light spinning rods. I was using some of these early jigs in the summer of 2015, and I still use the same jigs today.

Just for @Andy135 ..... Dave tells of what species have been caught during the intro ..... listen carefully between 0.45 to 0.50 !

I've had a proper look through that video now and I have to say it looks very promising, even though they weren't using jigging rods, just spinning rods, they still had a great session with some very decent fish. Thanks for sharing 👍

Tonight has been mainly tying assist hooks, using Trokar hooks, kevlar assist cord, and a bit of patience with the lead core splicing needle.

Made about 30 in 3/0, 5/0, & 7/0. Also prerigged some of the jigs ready for Sunday,

I also rigged some with just a solid ring and split ring, which is handy for quick lure changes, .....

This is a 7/0

assist.thumb.JPG.a8a3c517d5f07245d88e6bdbfb851fcf.JPG

Edited by GPSguru

Does anyone ever use lower BS mono to snell the hooks to the ring, instead of using assist cord? Might reduce losses if the hooks are rigged to a rotten bottom set up instead of stuff that could tow a small boat?

31 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Does anyone ever use lower BS mono to snell the hooks to the ring, instead of using assist cord? Might reduce losses if the hooks are rigged to a rotten bottom set up instead of stuff that could tow a small boat?

I would think that most people would value the fish more than the rig. You will get even less snags if you remove the hooks all together. 

45 minutes ago, JonC said:

I would think that most people would value the fish more than the rig. You will get even less snags if you remove the hooks all together. 

Don't be snarky. This is a serious question. 20lb braid mainline, and, say, 18lb mono isn't realistically going to increase fish losses, but would improve jig recoveries when snagged.

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

Don't be snarky. This is a serious question. 20lb braid mainline, and, say, 18lb mono isn't realistically going to increase fish losses, but would improve jig recoveries when snagged.

Is the cord not used to prevent snagging of the hook? In some way making the hook length more movable? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

Is the cord not used to prevent snagging of the hook? In some way making the hook length more movable? 🤷🏻‍♂️

If it makes the hook more movable then it would work to move the hook into a snag as much as keep it away, so no I don't reckon it's to prevent snagging.

I have a hunch that it's because the assist hooks are/were used originally for bigger, harder, deeper species when SPJ was invented - but for UK species it feels like the the dacron/kevlar braid is overkill.

Mmmm, have read through seven pages of the thread and the ‘article’.  I’m telling myself I don’t need another fishing style.  This lockdown has already cost me a trolling set up for freshwater, drop shot kit and one or two other items I’ve never had in the past.  Really time to master the fishing kit I have got before embarking on yet more spending.   Good interesting thread mind 🤔

4 minutes ago, OrkneyCorkney said:

Mmmm, have read through seven pages of the thread and the ‘article’.  I’m telling myself I don’t need another fishing style.  This lockdown has already cost me a trolling set up for freshwater, drop shot kit and one or two other items I’ve never had in the past.  Really time to master the fishing kit I have got before embarking on yet more spending.   Good interesting thread mind 🤔

All I will say is.... you can never have too much tackle 😁

#tackletartandproud

14 minutes ago, OrkneyCorkney said:

Go on............................ you know you wanna!!