LymeBay Wrecks - 5th July

GPSguru

Great that you got out there and caught some fish, and a good write up too. 👍

Interesting to see your tally of SPJ species. Wonder what it is about the jig that attracts the difference species vs shads? The action of the jigs is very different to the shads, maybe it triggers a different instinct, or is less easy to inspect, and therefore reject, before making a lunge.

21 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Interesting to see your tally of SPJ species. Wonder what it is about the jig that attracts the difference species vs shads? The action of the jigs is very different to the shads, maybe it triggers a different instinct, or is less easy to inspect, and therefore reject, before making a lunge.

I thought that I would keep a tally this year as I have been fishing alongside other crew who were using traditional Shads / Eels and the difference is very obvious.

Even that small Corkwing ( well, average for a corky as they don't grow very big) was lip hooked on a 150g jig !

34 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

it was a major craft Slow Jig para in lumi stripe at 40g

I never use much below 80g, usually 120 - 150g, and 200 -250 on the offshore wrecks.

My goto jig is 'The Boss' from Catch fishing (NZ Company) in Ballistic Blue, these are available from Terry at Jigabite.

TBF, this jig usually out fishes all the others in my armoury, especially for Bass and Pollock.

3 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Interesting sliding loop at the top end. How's that meant to work?

You fish them upside down and the hooks go on the slider for maximum movement.

I cant be doing with fast jigs, way too much like hard work !

26 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

I never use much below 80g, usually 120 - 150g, and 200 -250 on the offshore wrecks.

My goto jig is 'The Boss' from Catch fishing (NZ Company) in Ballistic Blue, these are available from Terry at Jigabite.

TBF, this jig usually out fishes all the others in my armoury, especially for Bass and Pollock.

i got the 40g for use from portland rocks with Nomuri kanji 30-70 spinning rod - but took them out on the boat for a bit of fun in protland entrance (Schoolies, pollock and macks)- i have bigger ones for when we go over the reefs etc - but will look at "the Boss" 

On 7/7/2022 at 8:59 AM, mike farrants said:

awesome - the Jigs are really doing it for you!

what a greedy corkie!

i tried a small jig for pollack recently and it lasted all of 3 drifts before  i lost it - will take some practicing to get right!

Its great to see others playing with shiny bits of metal. The hardest lesson i learnt was to KEEP THE LINE VERTICAL. You will loose alot less gear by casting down tide and as your boat catches up to the jig you have a brief period of vertical action before winding up and recasting. The wind is the biggest enemy with jigs 

On 7/6/2022 at 1:05 PM, GPSguru said:

Crew today was Kyle, and the plan was to visit some wrecks that are almost 30 miles out. I had managed to get some intel that indicated a good number of the inshore wrecks have been netted, which usually indicates that there are a few Bass around.

Neap tides and a slight NW wind usually means a flat (ish) sea. We launched at 8:00am, and I set the course on the plotter for the first wreck at about 28 miles. Sea state was flat, but at 10 miles or so, once we had lost the lee of the land, I was expecting a little wind over tide, which would improve once the tide changed at 10:30 ish.  As predicted we started to get the wind chop at about 15 miles, but staying at 24knts was reasonably comfortable and we made good progress.

The trip took an hour, and the panoptix down scan was soon showing the wreck, in 185ft.

Over the next hour we made several drifts and unfortunately only had 4 Pout each and I also had a Corkwing wrasse on the SPJ gear, which was pretty unusual considering the depth. Kyle was fishing flying collar with cotton candy shads and I was fishing SPJ.

Once the sea had flattened, we made a move to a 20 mile wreck., where we got a few knocks, but no hook ups. We were also joined by a commercial, who was fishing live bait rigs and was saying the fishing was dire at the moment.

Finally we decided to move to an 8 mile wreck that I have not fished for quite a while, the sea was now very flat and we made good progress at 35kts. This wreck is not in the position as mrked on the charts, at that position are 2  pot buoys, but the bulk of the wreck is about 75m inshore from that position. Here I was straight into a keeper Bass of about 3lb or so (I didn’t weigh it). We stayed on the wreck for a short while making several drifts. All too soon it was time to head back in as I had promised to be back at lunch time.

A total trip of 67Nm, which produced 8 pout, one corkwing wrasse, and a keeper Bass for Kyle’s evening meal. However, the great thing was just to be out there again. And I would have still enjoyed it, had I caught nothing. Kyle lost 4 rigs to the wrecks, but this time I didn’t lose any jigs.

Interestingly the SPJ is producing quite a range of species, and this year the species count is, Pollock, Cod, Bass, Whiting, Mackerel, Pout, Gurnard, Coalfish, and Corkwing wrasse.

A jolly little Corkwing............

GH010114.thumb.jpg.35dadd61ded4e877ec78db90b54d11b5.jpg

The Pout were of reasonable size

GH010115.thumb.jpg.96fbb837ad5dc0eb8850e337e307f848.jpg

Bass ...........

IMG_1655.thumb.JPG.4b7157fe59be93ba71562f1f728aebf9.JPG

Thanks for a nice report. I hit the inshore north wrecks last sunday for bass and everyone we tried was netted. So i ended up back down and out we had a couple of half tidy bass but still it was frustrating as greed is rife and it cost me dearly in fuel to get back in a f5 westerly.