Jump to content

Blonde/spotted ray


Saintly Fish
 Share

Recommended Posts

It’s the fact the spots go all the way to the edge of the wings that make me think blonde. If you check out most fish id sites that is the main way of distinguishing between a blonde. Either way still a pretty fish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dicky said:

It’s the fact the spots go all the way to the edge of the wings that make me think blonde. If you check out most fish id sites that is the main way of distinguishing between a blonde. Either way still a pretty fish.

I'll have to have a look in my fish id book when I'm back on the boat later today! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

but theres no white spots/patches and the dots are very dark/pronounced - making it look more like a spotted at first glance

It is the lack of blonde spots that makes me think that it's a juvenile spotted. Then as the wings grow maybe the spots will recede from the edge of the wings a bit?? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spotted rays don’t have spots to the edge is thier wings. Blondes do, even the baby ones…

We get a lot of blondes out of Cardiff, easy to catch a few hundred per season if you want and all are the same, spots to edge of wings, from 2lb fish to the 25lb+ fish…

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Saintly Fish changed the title to Blonde/spotted ray
On 7/11/2022 at 12:40 PM, Odyssey said:

Spotted rays don’t have spots to the edge is thier wings. Blondes do, even the baby ones…

We get a lot of blondes out of Cardiff, easy to catch a few hundred per season if you want and all are the same, spots to edge of wings, from 2lb fish to the 25lb+ fish…

well you learn something new  every day well done butt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2022 at 11:13 AM, Saintly Fish said:

It is the lack of blonde spots that makes me think that it's a juvenile spotted. Then as the wings grow maybe the spots will recede from the edge of the wings a bit?? 🤷🏻‍♂️

It is a strange one, but that is often the way with juvenile fish.

To me the markings are way more spotted than blond, but yes, the spots going to the edge of the wings is a significant fact. However, over the years I have caught many blonds, but never one marked like yours. 🤷‍♂️

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

It is a strange one, but that is often the way with juvenile fish.

To me the markings are way more spotted than blond, but yes, the spots going to the edge of the wings is a significant fact. However, over the years I have caught many blonds, but never one marked like yours. 🤷‍♂️

 

Maybe it a new species!! 
If I get to name it I'll call it the Saintly ray! 

  • Optimistic 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...