Blonde/spotted ray

Saintly Fish

It’s the fact the spots go all the way to the edge of the wings that make me think blonde. If you check out most fish id sites that is the main way of distinguishing between a blonde. Either way still a pretty fish.

1 hour ago, Dicky said:

It’s the fact the spots go all the way to the edge of the wings that make me think blonde. If you check out most fish id sites that is the main way of distinguishing between a blonde. Either way still a pretty fish.

I'll have to have a look in my fish id book when I'm back on the boat later today! 

5 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

but theres no white spots/patches and the dots are very dark/pronounced - making it look more like a spotted at first glance

It is the lack of blonde spots that makes me think that it's a juvenile spotted. Then as the wings grow maybe the spots will recede from the edge of the wings a bit?? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Spotted rays don’t have spots to the edge is thier wings. Blondes do, even the baby ones…

We get a lot of blondes out of Cardiff, easy to catch a few hundred per season if you want and all are the same, spots to edge of wings, from 2lb fish to the 25lb+ fish…

On 7/11/2022 at 12:40 PM, Odyssey said:

Spotted rays don’t have spots to the edge is thier wings. Blondes do, even the baby ones…

We get a lot of blondes out of Cardiff, easy to catch a few hundred per season if you want and all are the same, spots to edge of wings, from 2lb fish to the 25lb+ fish…

well you learn something new  every day well done butt

On 7/11/2022 at 11:13 AM, Saintly Fish said:

It is the lack of blonde spots that makes me think that it's a juvenile spotted. Then as the wings grow maybe the spots will recede from the edge of the wings a bit?? 🤷🏻‍♂️

It is a strange one, but that is often the way with juvenile fish.

To me the markings are way more spotted than blond, but yes, the spots going to the edge of the wings is a significant fact. However, over the years I have caught many blonds, but never one marked like yours. 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

It is a strange one, but that is often the way with juvenile fish.

To me the markings are way more spotted than blond, but yes, the spots going to the edge of the wings is a significant fact. However, over the years I have caught many blonds, but never one marked like yours. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe it a new species!! 
If I get to name it I'll call it the Saintly ray!