Help required identifying this boat Please

mrlwalmsley

Hi Mr Walmsey, its not one I recognise tho has a common shape to it. I am sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be along at some point.

In the meantime why not say hi in the introductions.

We look forward to seeing your progress on the rebuild

Hi @mrlwalmsley, welcome to the site.

That boat has the look of a very early Explorer Elite. The square top of the cuddy and the front/side windows look similar. However, the hull doesn't have simulated clinkers like the Elites do, and the splashwell design is different, which is why I say it could be an early (or prototype) version.

What age is the hull? Is there a hull plate anywhere on the boat that gives the year of manufacture?

Nice project though - assuming the floor and transom are sound it'll make a cracking boat once it's refurbed.

All solid with a rotton wood on starboard rail all replaced and reglassed. All anti foul stripped off and sanded back had minor repairs in the past been stood for 10 years plus. Both engines now serviced and running. Had her about 2 weeks cost me £700 all in with refurb should stand me about 2k. Cant wait to get her on the water and get fishing . thanks for the info, regards Mark

On 7/21/2022 at 2:54 PM, JonC said:

Welcome to the site.

I first thought that it was one of @Geoff ‘s creations but on reflection it looks like it has been finished and put in the sea at some point.🤣

Oh - No Jon, No Jon, No Jon No. Geoff.🙂

Edited by Geoff
pot noodles

7 hours ago, mrlwalmsley said:

reply back not a explorer elite hoping someone knows

If you know how, it is possible to do a google image search, which might throw up something.

I will have a look later if I get chance, as image searches are somewhat complicated.

No hull plate and 17ft tried google image have trolled 1000`s of images find similar but splash well always different hull is quite common. (Falkland Fisher Surf Pro ) Never been under water it has been painted all over with anti foul and left under trees for 10 years plus. Nearly finished prep for paint just need dry weather now forecast good for next week 

On 7/21/2022 at 11:04 AM, mrlwalmsley said:

In process of full refurb but need to know make of this boat any help appreciated.

boat 4.jpg

boat3.jpg

boat2.jpg

boat 1.jpg

boat.jpg

If there is nothing on the inside or outside of the transom, then look inside and under the helm, sometimes builders put the ID plate there.

The engine if it is original would suggest late 80's to mid  90's

Hi engine is 1980 stood for 10 years plus was seized filled with wd left for a week carbs all cleaned and stripped serviced new impeller and oil runs sweet as a nut with 150psi on both cylinders as manufactured. Same with the 10hp both running great on with painting now then electrics and then launch 2 weeks max hopefully. No sign of plate any where on boat just cant find any thing like it and need details for insurance.

4 hours ago, mrlwalmsley said:

Hi engine is 1980 stood for 10 years plus was seized filled with wd left for a week carbs all cleaned and stripped serviced new impeller and oil runs sweet as a nut with 150psi on both cylinders as manufactured. Same with the 10hp both running great on with painting now then electrics and then launch 2 weeks max hopefully. No sign of plate any where on boat just cant find any thing like it and need details for insurance.

Could it be a one of design and self build?

Ohhhh..... Does standing outside in the rain not count?? 🤣

Nah, we never did find out who built the plymouth oyster esque me and my dad shared. Still got it insured (and wet) tho, the 13ft boat we use on the river is also unknown make and insured, and that covers it up to 12 miles out iirc (not that I would even consider that)