Herring for tea tonight...tick

Malc

2 hours ago, Malc said:

I was rubbish today 😆

I admire your honesty 🤣👍

But at least you got a meal out of the session, and a tasty-looking one at that. A good result, even if it wasn't really yours 🤣

On 7/28/2022 at 7:24 PM, Malc said:

...I was rubbish today ...

...but not today!

On 7/28/2022 at 9:30 PM, Andy135 said:

I admire your honesty 🤣👍

Today was different. 

A yomp one mile along the pier, three casts and I managed 2 nice mackerel, couple casts later another. Others were hitting a few herring but about 4 to one on the mackerel. As I was really wanting herring I put on even smaller sabikis and watched people getting them on big daylights and tinsels. So after 3/4 of an hour I yomped back a mile to the bottom of the pier and decided to try the groyne half a mile away and when I got there it was just about slack water and I lost 3 sets of gear in 15 minutes and set off a half mile back to the car. 

I met a church group, mainly Ghanaian, having a barbecue and offered them 2 of the mackerel and they insisted I had a little food and drink with them which was nice as it was 23-24C and I was getting dehydrated. Back home and tapas with baked lemon mackerel as a final course but we over did the cheese so will make croquettes/fishcakes with the cooked flesh tomorrow 😋 

It's still a bit sticky inshore with the mackerel and herring but I think it's changing soon. 

We have a few Mackerel around, but you have to know where to go to catch consistently.

We also often get herring in with the Mackerel shoals, I have probably caught maybe a dozen this year, but I don't eat them and chuck 'em back.

The Autumn will usually see massive Scad shoals, which are 1/2lb fish, but out on the wrecks the Scad are quite large (2lb ish)

8 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Nice work. Seems like the mackerel are just as "hit & miss" up there as they are down here. Frustrating little buggers at the best of times.

Certainly from the shore, from the boat we just looked for the sounder to light up and a couple of drops and we had enough, I was even getting them on 4" sandeel lures and regularly had rattles as they hit the tails.

Tight lines everyone