crazy amounts of tuna

JDP

Like many parts of the world tuna have made a huge comeback over the last few years. Through most of winter we had daily catches of bluefin followed by a good run of yellowfin but most of these were further offshore around the seamounts anywhere from 60-120k offshore. 

Over the last month since heading into summer we've had a run of both small bluefin and yellowfin in the 30-70kg size, only these are literally in range of land based anglers or those with small boats heading just offshore. 

The rod my daughter claimed off me a few weeks ago "jigging master Gt monster " on its very first use, first cast managed a good yellowfin over 50kg and several more that day. Now the yellowtail kingfish have arrived into the mix which are also smashing surface cast lures.

Personally give me a day on plastics and micro jigs chasing snapper 1 to 3kg any day over all that hectic fishing!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, headlight said:

"That we"re not allowed to fish for, deliberately 😉

Sometimes when sharking you can"t avoid accidentally hooking one ☺️

Only an arsehole would go out and 'accidentally' hook into one. 😉

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Why make that statement Steve? Why is Ian an arsehole for hooking a BFT?

For accidentally hooking one? Give over, willy waving pal. You're not allowed to target them, end of. 

Dolphins are aplenty,  would imagine they pull the string pretty hard, let's go out and 'accidentally' catch some of those too?! 🤣🤣

You can"t stop a fish taking a bait even if it is not meant for them.

I had an 8 1/2lb Bass take a shark bait, was that me being an arsehole as well ?

My PB Bass of 10lb was taken on 90lb wire and a 7/0 meant for Tope was that my fault ?

Edited by headlight

13 minutes ago, Tadpole said:

For accidentally hooking one? Give over, willy waving pal. You're not allowed to target them, end of. 

Dolphins are aplenty,  would imagine they pull the string pretty hard, let's go out and 'accidentally' catch some of those too?! 🤣🤣

Does anyone remember that poxy dolphin game on N64? 
what was that all about. Put me right off dolphins. 

Trust me, we don’t target them. 

when you’re 40 miles offshore it’s hard to avoid certain fish. Especially when they come past your boat in a massive shoal right through your chum slick 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, headlight said:

You can"t stop a fish taking a bait even if it is not meant for them.

I had an 8 1/2lb Bass take a shark bait, was that me being an arsehole as well ?

My PB Bass of 10lb was taken on 90lb wire and a 7/0 meant for Tope was that my fault ?

I can see both sides to this argument. Steve is stating the letter of the law which you already know Ian. And you are flirting with letting people know you “accidentally on purpose” target a fish that’s not allowed. 
personally if they are in such high numbers, I don’t see a problem, as long as your not filleting them for the bbq. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I can see both sides to this argument. Steve is stating the letter of the law which you already know Ian. And you are flirting with letting people know you “accidentally on purpose” target a fish that’s not allowed. 
personally if they are in such high numbers, I don’t see a problem, as long as your not filleting them for the bbq. 

Where did I say that I accidently on purpose target Tuna ?

I said "Sometimes when sharking you can"t avoid accidentally hooking one"

Which is completely true.

The Tuna are in the same area as the sharks and will, and indeed do, take baits meant for sharks.

I suppose I should stop fishing for sharks in case I accidentally hook a Tuna ?

3 minutes ago, headlight said:

I said "Sometimes when sharking you can"t avoid accidentally hooking one"

Which is completely true.

The Tuna are in the same area as the sharks and will, and indeed do, take baits meant for sharks.

I suppose I should stop fishing for sharks in case I accidentally hook a Tuna ?

Very decent of you to offer to stop. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, headlight said:

You didn’t say that. But you do bleat on about going fishing for giant mackerel and sharks a lot . Implying that fishing for BFT is what you are actually doing but disguised as shark fishing. I’m not knocking you Ian, I don’t give a toss why you get up to. 
I’d  love to catch one and am jealous of the fact that you can. I expect Steve is too really. 

Personally I fancy more of a challenge. It’s Mako im after.

I have the numbers already on where the biggest one was caught and know others have been caught there....

• Like 1