Not great again, River Blackwater.

JonC

21 minutes ago, Geoff said:

And you probably had a PN feast, so what more can you ask for? Geoff.😉

I did indeed have a pot noodle. 
I guess I shouldn’t grumble about the poor fishing and that I should just be happy that I got out. It’s so frustrating though that the wind always picks up to 15-20 mph when I have a spare day to get out. There’s even been rumours of the mythical fish off the Essex coast this year. 

Just now, JonC said:

I’ll settle for it not happening, no way I’m wasting good celluloid on whiting and dogs, then I have the sod about in the dark room developing them. 

Not a great attitude for a member of the SLT tu take!! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2022 at 6:31 PM, JonC said:

We had a few hours fishing today, from about 2 hours before and 2 hours after high water. Really not a lot to say, dogfish and whiting. That’s about as good as it got. 

Autumn fishing is good here on the English Riviera, with the wrecks holding the migrating Bass, some wrecks holding Codling, and we are beginning to see the winter species.

The inshore marks fish well with whiting and Mackerel right up to December.

What does Autumn usually bring for you guys in the Thames estuary ? Do the Roker migrate out ?, what replaces them ?

Autumn historically was always the best time for cod, there’s an area off of clacton known as The Wallet that is well known for them but this seems to be a thing of the past.
The thornbacks move off around November, their return in spring coincides with the Daffodils flowering.

This doesn’t really leave much inshore  other than whiting, dogfish and Dabs which are all uninspiring to sensible people.

Offshore Spurdogs can be caught but they require a bit of a drive out which needs to be planned around a weather window . 
A lot of people get their boats lifted out about now and spend their time and money in the all male brothel instead.

This said there are still some decent bass about, at the weekend a guy had one of 8 1/2 lb on a lure in the crouch.