Radar power cable?

Right here’s one for you clever bastards that understand elastictrickery. 
I’ve just received a new radar, the power cable has red and blue, which are the power connections and the outer braid that is woven looking like it wants to connect to something. Where should it go? 
The handy guide book makes no reference to it. 

7 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Surely that would have to completely cover at least one of the wires?

Jon said it was the "outer braid" so I'm assuming it covers both cables. It will absorb interference for however much of the cables are covered, so the more coverage the better, but full coverage not essential.

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Jon said it was the "outer braid" so I'm assuming it covers both cables. It will absorb interference for however much of the cables are covered, so the more coverage the better, but full coverage not essential.

Looks like just a braid running in the sheath. 

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

Looks like just a braid running in the sheath. 

I agree that the pic isn't clear, but as the manual says it needs to be grounded, it can only be a shielding sheath.

@JonC, there are a couple of different interpretations of "ground" on a 12v boat system. The perfect solution is to install a separate copper grounding plate and wire the shield to that, so that it is isolated from the DC negative. The "good enough" solution is to just use the negative terminal. A third option (apparently recommended by Furuno) is that if you don't already have a copper ground plate installed, then leave the shield disconnected, as connecting to negative battery post can sometimes pick up signal noise from the other hardware connected to that circuit.

So the choice, as our Graham says, is yours...

3 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I agree that the pic isn't clear, but as the manual says it needs to be grounded, it can only be a shielding sheath.

@JonC, there are a couple of different interpretations of "ground" on a 12v boat system. The perfect solution is to install a separate copper grounding plate and wire the shield to that, so that it is isolated from the DC negative. The "good enough" solution is to just use the negative terminal. A third option (apparently recommended by Furuno) is that if you don't already have a copper ground plate installed, then leave the shield disconnected, as connecting to negative battery post can sometimes pick up signal noise from the other hardware connected to that circuit.

So the choice, as our Graham says, is yours...

Cilla your Aunty ? She’s a Ginge too. 

10 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Yep Jon, connected to ground one end only....

As your boat is GRP, go for neg busbar as Andy suggested

Thanks, I’ll give that a go when I fit it and see what happens 

You’ll need to terminate at one end of the sheild. It’s to protect electrical interference radiating from your radar or interference disrupting your radar.

terminate to your 0V bus bar or the 0V power line to your receiveer/MFD. Don’t use chop block etc a proper crimped/soldered connection is needed for that one 

8 hours ago, Odyssey said:

You’ll need to terminate at one end of the sheild. It’s to protect electrical interference radiating from your radar or interference disrupting your radar.

terminate to your 0V bus bar or the 0V power line to your receiveer/MFD. Don’t use chop block etc a proper crimped/soldered connection is needed for that one 

Thanks Luke. 
it’s not a data cable, it’s a WiFi radar only has 12vt power supply.