Spooling braid

I have never really used braid much, most of my fishing is uptiding so mono is preferable to most people.

How much braid , I would probably use 30lb would I put on a 7000 size reel?

Do you leave some backing on to help fill to the correct level? 

44 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

I usually use cheap mono as backing then, as you say, fill the rest with braid

I have around 150/200m on my wrecking/downtide reels

And approx 100/150m on my smaller reels, which I also use for uptiding

Thanks, I checked,  a 7000 holds 500 meters of 30lb braid, total waste though putting more than 200 on, even an angry whiting won’t strip that much off my reel.

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, SiDfish said:

If you put braid straight onto a spool, you need to stop it spinning, we use a wrap of self amalgamating tape and bed the spool knot into that = zero slip

I picked up another 7000 today, good condition just a couple of chips in the paint ton the end plates for £40 so I think I’ll load that up with a couple of hundred yards of braid. Certainly a lot better than some other previously enjoyed reels that have recently changed hands. 

F912AB9C-7BE4-4B48-A0D7-564082A4AA94.jpeg

Just now, JonC said:

I picked up another 7000 today, good condition just a couple of chips in the paint ton the end plates for £40 so I think I’ll load that up with a couple of hundred yards of braid. Certainly a lot better than some other previously enjoyed reels that have recently changed hands. 

F912AB9C-7BE4-4B48-A0D7-564082A4AA94.jpeg

It has the word Sweden on it

5D07F1ED-A196-4A89-A644-77002BCF312F.jpeg.e97d4f4defad4692ae754efe15cd544b.jpeg

but not the word ‘made’ so a later model unfortunately.784EFB4A-F694-4A4D-87C5-70BE4AB30FF3.jpeg.f4eb98002639ab231d26f6e057e492fb.jpeg

150-200m onto of mono on that reel will only rise a couple of mm on the spool with a good amount of mono backing first. The join between the mono and braid is best with a slim join like a pr or fg which can be tricky to learn at first but there are plenty of YouTube videos to help out. Because the braid is so thin you won't want a lumpy knot catching every time you let line out, however if you do decide a simple uni to uni knot will do, you can put a bit of tape over the knot to help reduce the chance of it catching.

I've got right into UV glue for smoothing knots.  It sets gradually under a UV torch, so you can smooth it flush with the line and fill gaps.  It sets like a hard rubber, so flexes and moves with the line.  It's very thin unset so finds all the gaps in knots/flies.

With braid, when used a lot it will go furry and lose colour, don't worry it'll still be stronger than quoted. When you must, just reverse it.  I've just reversed three reels worth of Spiderwire Pro 8, after two seasons so will get 4-5 seasons out of it, which dramatically lowers the price.  Try several braids first season, as topshots of 150m (2per spool) and commit to a bulk spool.  I got 2000m of the Spiderwire (42lb I think) for €130, that's €13 per 200m shot (we often fish 150m plus) for 4-5 years.  Not expensive compared to disposable terminal tackle!

I went to the local shop today who had a choice of this F459C387-64D1-4A26-97B0-7546B1DB63E2.jpeg.f97f3eb0cff4c438b246f9a196c9860b.jpegso after a long period of deliberation I bought some. So I’ll see how it does. Not overly expensive so worse ways I’ll knit a pair of pants out of it.