DIY fish oil...

Andy135

TBH I would let have the patience for that...

You can get good quality fish oil for not that much (especially if you buy bulk, as in 100l+ a time). 

However, the obvious advantage is you know you’re getting fish oil and not just vegetable oil with fish extracts 

1 hour ago, British Big Game Fishing said:

go to any trout farm/fishery in the summer months and you can get gallons for free!

None around me sadly 😞 

Us welsh catch real fish 😉 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

How much you want? 

it will depend on the quality of the oil. 

Holy mackerel oil is too stuff, just had 180l delivered, I’ll get a few pics up of the consistency of it.... best I’ve found so far. It needs thinning down with veg oil but it’s best value I’ve found.

British Aqua feeds will do bulk discounts too

Edited by Odyssey
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jon cook said:

180lt..... 😯

I buy in bulk for best price, then keep it in storage. I picked up 50l for £75 last year. 

Ive got about 250l of oil stashed away, 450kg of fish.... but I do a lot of sharking and Ill use it next year too 

Email British Aqua feeds and ask. I think it’s 100l+

Drop Darren at Holy Mackerel a line, say that Luke Evans put in touch and you want a bulk load, you Amy get better pricing. Holy mackerel is better than BAF... I mix the two as BAF is less viscous 

• Thanks 1

Oh, I use the same recipe for bream and tope but with a slight change.

mix in some rice. Leave the whole thing 24hrs. The rice swells up and holds the juice/oil. Put it all in a drain pipe with small holes, tie to your anchor chain and wait for the fish 🙂 

Bran is better for sharks as more buoyant. Sand is a good addictive too, avoid saw dust, not absorbent enough 

30 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I’m making chum tomorrow, so I’ll do an article of how I make it and the tools for the job... which are....

-Garden shredder 

- paddle mixer 

- plaster bucket 

- 10l ice cream container

- oil

- bran 

- lump hammer.

- fish (mackerel, herring, bluey, trout, salmon, squid, left over bait) 

I use a lump hammer to break the mackerel off a block. If you got defrosted fish no need to do that! 

Put fish (frozen or deforested) thoigh garden shredder.

Add 1 part bran, one part fish to plaster bucket, mix using a paddle mixer until a paste is formed. Add about 1-2l of oil per 10kg of chum. 

Add one part bran, mix it again to soak up the oil. It needs to clump, but not be dry, If you can squid into a ball it’s about right. 

I freeze in 10l ice cream containers which I get from commercial caterers supplies (nisbetts). One block lasts a trip 🙂 

Ill do a proper article tomorrow and add photos.... 

Its really not hard, trick is to use machinery to do the work. Paddle mixer gets a good mix and consistency. Garden shredder goes through fish in no time. 

That would be great. Take lots of pics and we can sort them out as a full Article in the Articles section. 👍

43 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I’m making chum tomorrow, so I’ll do an article of how I make it and the tools for the job... which are....

-Garden shredder 

- paddle mixer 

- plaster bucket 

- 10l ice cream container

- oil

- bran 

- lump hammer.

- fish (mackerel, herring, bluey, trout, salmon, squid, left over bait) 

I use a lump hammer to break the mackerel off a block. If you got defrosted fish no need to do that! 

Put fish (frozen or deforested) thoigh garden shredder.

Add 1 part bran, one part fish to plaster bucket, mix using a paddle mixer until a paste is formed. Add about 1-2l of oil per 10kg of chum. 

Add one part bran, mix it again to soak up the oil. It needs to clump, but not be dry, If you can squid into a ball it’s about right. 

I freeze in 10l ice cream containers which I get from commercial caterers supplies (nisbetts). One block lasts a trip 🙂 

Ill do a proper article tomorrow and add photos.... 

Its really not hard, trick is to use machinery to do the work. Paddle mixer gets a good mix and consistency. Garden shredder goes through fish in no time. 

You have forgotten one critical element, you either need to have lost your sense of smell, or you need to be of a very strong constitution !

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

You have forgotten one critical element, you either need to have lost your sense of smell, or you need to be of a very strong constitution !

To be honest, if you mush up frozen fish it’s not too bad. 

But if you forget to clean your paddle mixer and it’s a warm few days...... 🤢🤢🤢🤢

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

What’s people’s opinion on

old fish thats ponging (off) as part of the chum mix

heard a few say yes and some against … I personally don’t see the issue 

but interested in others view

Easier to smash up if their hanging!! Blues especially are scavengers and will take pretty much anything i think. We have put all sorts in our chum, crabs squid cuttle, worms, any left over bait gets frozen through the year and used in the mix. It's amazing what i find in the bottom of the freezer.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dicky said:

Easier to smash up if their hanging!! Blues especially are scavengers and will take pretty much anything i think. We have put all sorts in our chum, crabs squid cuttle, worms, any left over bait gets frozen through the year and used in the mix. It's amazing what i find in the bottom of the freezer.

Yeah agree with you mate I think their blind to it and just come regardless, as you say scavengers,

yeah I often ask the monger for offcuts and unwanted scraps 

volumizes the chum up for cheap.

I use frozen heads and frames. They ain’t great condition but at 80p/kg cost effective works well. 

It’s all about getting a slick going. Old timers used to use mackerel a few days old as soft a d easy to mash up….