Scottish rod builder

That's a shame about Stan. Maybe he just has too much work at present but either way you're the customer, right?!

Keep us posted about Chris Dance. I've heard his name but not seen any of his work. 👍

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

That's a shame about Stan. Maybe he just has too much work at present but either way you're the customer, right?!

Keep us posted about Chris Dance. I've heard his name but not seen any of his work. 👍

You’ve seen my Zziplex rods, he built those. 
Leos rod should look like this (albeit this is an artists impression).

CC0033CB-DD4C-48A5-9202-C3969A3D4DDE.jpeg.71f4bab136dde37430fad51049ba0cec.jpeg

I’ve been waiting a looooooooong time for my rods off stan. I’m not the only one. 

Id not go back! 

Chris Dance does really good work 🙂 

What did Stan not want to do then? 

15 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I’ve been waiting a looooooooong time for my rods off stan. I’m not the only one. 

Id not go back! 

Chris Dance does really good work 🙂 

What did Stan not want to do then? 

He didn’t want to produce ANY stickers, I had to do all the leg work. He didn’t want to do any wording in a font Leo wanted, only what he had, even though he could just down load the font. He didn’t want to do the writing in a colour Leo wanted and he didn’t want to do it in the time he said he would. 
I emailed UK hooks on the IOW as I have 3 of their rods, Mike there got Chris to call me. And after a 5 minute convo Chris’ reaction was.... Ok fine. Pop it in the post.! 
No arguments, no trying to change things, just an ok I’ll do it. What more can I ask for. 
I even got to pop an old snowbie travel rod in which needs new guides. 

4 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I’ll keep chasing him to get my rods done...... 

I’ll give it a few more weeks then ask for money back as it’s bit of a joke now....

0/10. Geoff.

8 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I’ll keep chasing him to get my rods done...... 

I’ll give it a few more weeks then ask for money back as it’s bit of a joke now....

You paid upfront ??? That’s never a good thing to do for anything. 

2 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Whats so hard about that? Looks straight forward enough for a quality rod builder

Yep exactly , Stan was just awkward to deal with, which is a shame because his work is excellent, but not that great that I’m prepared to put up with the crap. I am the customer after all. 

6 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yep exactly , Stan was just awkward to deal with, which is a shame because his work is excellent, but not that great that I’m prepared to put up with the crap. I am the customer after all. 

Have you ever seen any? Lol..... If he can't do the basics then his work aint that great at all...... Wonder if he's been asked to trial different finishes for American companies.....??

8 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Have you ever seen any? Lol..... If he can't do the basics then his work aint that great at all...... Wonder if he's been asked to trial different finishes for American companies.....??

He’s repaired a snapped rod for me before Steve and his work is excellent. He’s an older boy though and think a bit stuck in his ways. 

I’ve got one of his boat rods I picked up second hand, it’s a lovely rod. 

injust think he’s stuck in his ways and works at his own pace....

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had a few chats with Jon Malvern on the weekend. He’s open to lots of ideas for builds and as he lives in Spain is way to get parts and blanks. Happy to do a zziplex beach caster to a IGFA 130lb bent butt stick. 

Maybe worth an ask if Chris D is too busy 

50 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I’ve had a few chats with Jon Malvern on the weekend. He’s open to lots of ideas for builds and as he lives in Spain is way to get parts and blanks. Happy to do a zziplex beach caster to a IGFA 130lb bent butt stick. 

Maybe worth an ask if Chris D is too busy 

Thanks Luke but Chris is all over it. Should have a finished rod soon. He was just waiting on a reel seat! 

• 3 weeks later...

Got an update on this today. The rod is practically finished. There is a customs hold up though with the reel seat. Chris orders from a supplier who’s stock has been held up at Castle Donnington customs yard. UPS still trying to get the clearance. E7310933-BD42-4DB0-8FEE-744153C1BC12.thumb.jpeg.f8a74d30cbb9b7cc82ea7211d2e36cb2.jpeg

It cleared customs 19th Jan bud...... Quite how UPS can deem it a Brexit related hold up when it's in the UK i'm not sure, and Brexit has nothing to do with bringing stuff in from the USA......

Ulterior motives spring to mind right there.... Show that to your MP and ask why Brexit is delaying goods from the USA

3 hours ago, suzook12 said:

It cleared customs 19th Jan bud...... Quite how UPS can deem it a Brexit related hold up when it's in the UK i'm not sure, and Brexit has nothing to do with bringing stuff in from the USA......

Ulterior motives spring to mind right there.... Show that to your MP and ask why Brexit is delaying goods from the USA

There must be some reason for it Steve, ulterior motives or not. Good job Leo seems to have forgotten about the rod for the moment. Hopefully it will arrive soon. 

Steve, it did not say delayed due to Brexit, but Brexit related. They are probably not getting much through and are waiting until they have a full load or something like that. Brexit is being blamed for many things, but the biggest problem is the EU wanting to make life difficult for us. I used to be and still am pro Europe, but think the EU is another matter and until they start to behave in a more reasonable way (if they ever do) I would personally prefer to tell them to get lost! Geoff.

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

I used to be and still am pro Europe, but think the EU is another matter and until they start to behave in a more reasonable way (if they ever do) I would personally prefer to tell them to get lost! Geoff.

Yep would agree with this so much so that previously I have usually gone for German make cars Audis and Mercs but recently changed my car and purposely bought a car made in the uk and can honestly say so far I am impressed.  I now consciously look for British goods wherever I can.  

3 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Yep would agree with this so much so that previously I have usually gone for German make cars Audis and Mercs but recently changed my car and purposely bought a car made in the uk and can honestly say so far I am impressed.  I now consciously look for British goods wherever I can.  

So you have a Mazda? 

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

Steve, it did not say delayed due to Brexit, but Brexit related. They are probably not getting much through and are waiting until they have a full load or something like that. Brexit is being blamed for many things, but the biggest problem is the EU wanting to make life difficult for us. I used to be and still am pro Europe, but think the EU is another matter and until they start to behave in a more reasonable way (if they ever do) I would personally prefer to tell them to get lost! Geoff.

Geoff, it's imported from the US, Brexit has nothing to do with it, the way we import from the US has not changed, so is in no way related to Brexit!

Yes the EU are playing up as much as possible, they daren't let us succeed without them as that would be the end of the gravy train, the exact reason so many politicians were against implementing Brexit, as they were on the EU payroll. But we also have delivery companies playing the game, and unless it's reported to the likes of MP's, they will get away with it......