boat /fishing meet

Solent Fishing meet  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, JonC said:

I’ve been giving it some thought between meals and I think my new book will be titled. ‘Uptiding for Bream, my way’. 
I recon it will be a best seller now I’m an expert. 

It’ll be a pop up book though yeah?

On 7/1/2021 at 11:14 PM, GPSguru said:

I was thinking about going out tomorrow, but really still not well enough, but hey, getting there slowly as my body gets used to the side effects.

Sorry to hear you're still suffering Ian. Fingers crossed for you 🤞

Good write up Martin. Was great to meet you and Dean in person and thanks for joining us. Agree that the fishing was tough going, but the apres-fish more than made up for it 🍻😁

Looking forward to the next one already. Open-minded on venue!

11 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

As discussed, maybe down your manor next year? You’d better start thinking!! 👍🏻

Also as discussed I tend not to get involved in arranging events anymore.  I have been involved in building our our club and its events for more years than I care to remember and prefer to be an active participant now. 

Here are my thoughts on venues

Poole would be ok as a venue but I'm really conscious of there being no other OO members in this area and travelling up for the solent guys would be very weather dependent.  For trailer boaters if using Cobbs Quay the fees they charge for launch and retrieve are really expensive.  The only other slipway usable for visitors in Poole is a long shallow slip that gets really busy and pestered with jet skis however parking and launch fees are reasonable.  Also most marks are a fair travel from our Marina.  Weymouth and Portland may be worth a look as facilities there seem good and fishing marks are not to far from either.  

5 hours ago, JonC said:

I’ve been giving it some thought between meals and I think my new book will be titled. ‘Uptiding for Bream, my way’. 
I recon it will be a best seller now I’m an expert. 

I would have thought it would be called, ‘How Leo Taught me to Catch Bream’

6 hours ago, GPSguru said:

I would have thought it would be called, ‘How Leo Taught me to Catch Bream’

To be fair Leo spent most of the day untangling his dad’s lines and generally keeping the other side of the boat going.😀

8 hours ago, Maverick said:

Also as discussed I tend not to get involved in arranging events anymore. 

🤣🤣 don’t panic Martin I wasn’t about to ask you to organise anything. Just give some ideas is all. Which you’ve done. It’s Andy or Jons turn next time!! 👍🏻

i looked into going to portland a4 years ago there is a free car lorry park near a free slipway  the mearina is not faraway 10 miits walk. if you would like me to dig out the details . ward of caution , itis vey bisy on bank holerdays ect due to the uk traing /club

i found the mariner very helpfull

3 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

happy to assist with marks around the Weymouth and Portland area! but yes very busy at times.

even though I live here id still be the last to arrive in pugwash - chug chug........ 

Maybe if you set off now, you could get there in time for next year's meet? 😊

8 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

🤣🤣 don’t panic Martin I wasn’t about to ask you to organise anything. Just give some ideas is all. Which you’ve done. It’s Andy or Jons turn next time!! 👍🏻

Jon would be a great choice assuming we're ok with an alcohol-free meet next year?? 🤦‍♂️

Sounds like a great weekend just sad I couldn’t make it (Mother in law is 60 this year and taking up too many Saturdays with celebrations 😡

Maybe can have a mini meet in the Bristol Channel or something…. See if myself and @jonnyswamp can show you southern softies some real fish 😉 )

38 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Sounds like a great weekend just sad I couldn’t make it (Mother in law is 60 this year and taking up too many Saturdays with celebrations 😡

Maybe can have a mini meet in the Bristol Channel or something…. See if myself and @jonnyswamp can show you southern softies some real fish 😉 )

Sounds like a plan! 👍

Joyce and I made down to the Mercury meet, but sans boat as my survey (due last week) had to be delayed as the surveyor had just returned from abroad and had to self isolate. The new survey date has now been confirmed for Tues. 20th July. We travelled down in a hastily adapted old Berlingo and managed to book a campsite pitch at Netly, just a few miles from Mercury. We informed Neil that we were setting up and would be arriving a bit later as we were trying to fathom out how to fit the awning! Out of the blue and totally unexpectedly Neil and Jonc arrived and had it sorted out in no time and we were given a lift to Mercury in Jc's posh car (a lovely VW toe rag). We enjoyed the two evening meals in the company of the outlaws gang and Pete was kind enough (thanks Pete) to run us back to the campsite (no taxi available before 1 am). Anyway  it was great to meet a few (all those there) forum members and hope that we can make it to the next meet with our own boat, even though it would have looked very small when compared to the three boats (Madness, Jersey girl and Tarlach Too - in no particular order) that made it. Geoff.

Edited by Geoff

9 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Joyce and I made down to the Mercury meet, but sans boat as my survey (due last week) had to be delayed as the surveyor had just returned from abroad and had to self isolate. The new survey date has now been confirmed for Tues. 20th July. We travelled down in a hastily adapted old Berlingo and managed to book a campsite pitch at Netly, just a few miles from Mercury. We informed Neil that we were setting up and would be arriving a bit later as we were trying to fathom out how to fit the awning! Out of the blue and totally unexpectedly Neil and Jonc arrived and had it sorted out in no time and we were given a lift to Mercury in Jc's posh car (a lovely VW toe rag). We enjoyed the two evening meals in the company of the outlaws gang and Pete was kind enough (thanks Pete) to run us back to the campsite (no taxi available before 1 am). Anyway  it was great to meet a few (all those there) forum members and hope that we can make it to the next meet with our own boat, even though it would have looked very small when compared to the three boats (Madness, Jersey girl and Tarlach Too - in no particular order) that made it. Geoff.

It was great to meet you both and huge thanks for making such a super effort to attend, despite all the setbacks you encountered! Well done the pair of you.

Looking forward to seeing you both again, with boat, at next year's meet 👍

2 hours ago, mike farrants said:

happy to assist with marks around the Weymouth and Portland area! but yes very busy at times.

even though I live here id still be the last to arrive in pugwash - chug chug........ 

at least it gets there

58 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

It was great to meet you both and huge thanks for making such a super effort to attend, despite all the setbacks you encountered! Well done the pair of you.

Looking forward to seeing you both again, with boat, at next year's meet 👍

it was terifick to meet you bouth and joyce s navergation was spot on

@Geoff As I’ve already told you, you to/too/two made a sterling effort to come down and spend some time with us and it was very much appreciated. Sorry we missed you on the Sunday morning for coffee. And I hope the packing up and drive home was both dry and effortless!