boat /fishing meet

Solent Fishing meet  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

He will ya know @Maverick

I got black balled, the black spot and most other things blacked just for bailing coz me lad's still at school so couldn't make that weekend!!

Did he give you a black eye too? Or a black mark in his register? 😱

18 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

He will ya know @Maverick

I got black balled, the black spot and most other things blacked just for bailing coz me lad's still at school so couldn't make that weekend!!

To be able to bail on some thing Steve, you first have to commit to it. 
You never committed, so never blacked balled. You just got put on the naughty step. 

5 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

To be able to bail on some thing Steve, you first have to commit to it. 
You never committed, so never blacked balled. You just got put on the naughty step. 

Ohhhh, so that's how I got piles, sitting on a cold damp step!!!

Actually, I was right up for til dates were set..... But heyho, not to be this time

So not long to wait now.  I have been sorting out my tackle, live baitwell, iceytek, kitchen stuff plus other bits.  Our plan is to leave Poole around 8am on the Friday, collect some live baits then fish south of the iow.  When fed up make our way to the Marina.  We will load up the cool box with mackerel and squid so should be prepared for most eventualities but is there any need for us to bring worm baits or should we be ok with just fish baits?

Edited by Maverick

3 minutes ago, Maverick said:

So not long to wait now.  I have been sorting out my tackle, live baitwell, iceytek, kitchen stuff plus other bits.  Our plan is to leave Poole around 8am on the Friday, collect some live baits then fish south of the iow.  When fed up make our way to the Marina.  We will load up the cool box with mackerel and squid so should be prepared for most eventualities but is there any need for us to bring worm baits or should we be ok with just fish baits?

Depends on what species you fancy chasing. Generally I'd say squid and fish baits would be fine, but if you want to hunt for a plaice then worm would be the preferred bait. Might also be worth bringing a few hardback for the smoothounds, or bring a crab net and see what you can rustle up from under your berth.

12 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Depends on the mark you want to fish. I’ll be taking squid, sand eel, mackerel and crab. Plaice will take long strips of squid as much as worm bait. If you don’t want the mess of rag, then a wrap or two of black lug. 

Not really the correct place to post this, but I think this thread will probably have the most readers. I am booked in for the meet next week. Of course my boat will not be quite finished (will it ever be?), but the boat now has an engine fitted and should float so I shall be dragging her down to Mercury next week. I still have no instrumentation and seem to remember that headlight suggested a combi unit some time ago. Can anyone advise me of any bargains that are readily available that I could jury rig rather than relying on a compass and leadline! If anyone has a used spare unit that they wish to sell I would also be interested. I should have posted this a couple of weeks ago, but have been quite busy. Thanks for reading this. Geoff. ☺️

Can't help with a combi unit but good on you for bringing Offshore Outlaw down for the meet. If it helps you can always follow the rest of us closely which should keep you out of trouble. 👍

16 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Not really the correct place to post this, but I think this thread will probably have the most readers. I am booked in for the meet next week. Of course my boat will not be quite finished (will it ever be?), but the boat now has an engine fitted and should float so I shall be dragging her down to Mercury next week. I still have no instrumentation and seem to remember that headlight suggested a combi unit some time ago. Can anyone advise me of any bargains that are readily available that I could jury rig rather than relying on a compass and leadline! If anyone has a used spare unit that they wish to sell I would also be interested. I should have posted this a couple of weeks ago, but have been quite busy. Thanks for reading this. Geoff. ☺️

If you have a smart phone (Android or Iphone) then use that.

I have checked my Iphone against the plotters, and it is equally as accurate.

3 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

If you have a smart phone (Android or Iphone) then use that.

I have checked my Iphone against the plotters, and it is equally as accurate.

Thanks Ian, I had thought that may be possible. I do have and android telephone, although being old school I only use it for emergency telephone calls (if my RR breaks down or to ask Joyce to put the kettle on etc.) and I do not really even know what an app is!!! I was hoping to find something that would give position and depth that is easy to use and would come in handy as a spare for when and if I get properly sorted. I did buy some used older equipment, but decided that I think I would be better off with something more up to date. Geoff.

1 minute ago, Geoff said:

Thanks Ian, I had thought that may be possible. I do have and android telephone, although being old school I only use it for emergency telephone calls (if my RR breaks down or to ask Joyce to put the kettle on etc.) and I do not really even know what an app is!!! I was hoping to find something that would give position and depth that is easy to use and would come in handy as a spare for when and if I get properly sorted. I did buy some used older equipment, but decided that I think I would be better off with something more up to date. Geoff.

Wait till you get to the meet and I am sure that @Andy135 or @Saintly Fish will be able to guide you though putting 'Navionics' on your phone, which will give you both charts and plotting.

If you only use it when the RR breaks down, then you must use it a lot !

@Geoff glad you able to make it down mate, I had every confidence in your will to attend👍🏻. I’ve primed Michaela to put in an appearance so that your lovely wife has another female to chat to and not just a load of smelly fisherman taking the P out of each other! 
If you are arriving Friday I’d recommend you arrive at circa 12.30pm/1pm or 5/6pm ish. 
these times will be when the tide will be at its weakest, probably best for your first launch. Let us know what time you plan on arriving and there will be assistance/ witnesses to help/laugh with/at the launch! 

Thought I'd best post,  things have been thrown up in the air the past week so or which may affect whether I can make it or not. 

Without too much detail my father in law was taken into hospital last week and he is not in a very good way. 

My plan stands to attend but may not be possible if things get worse. 

I'll know more towards the latter part of the week

I am afraid and bitterly disappointed to say that I have just cancelled my booking with Mercury. I have really been looking forward to this meet, but have today had some bad news from my  boat surveyor. He has just returned from abroad and is unable to carry out my survey until mid July. I have spent most of the day on the telephone trying to arrange comprehensive insurance cover, but all have said that without the surveyors report the underwriters will not underwrite the risk. I do have basic boat insurance (third party) for this boat, but now that the engine is fitted I definitely need fully comp which I cannot get at present. Thanks for your offer Steve, Ian Andy and Neil for your offers of help. Sorry chaps, I have been looking forward to meeting you all and displaying my M&S Chinos.A very glum.  Geoff. 

9 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I am afraid and bitterly disappointed to say that I have just cancelled my booking with Mercury. I have really been looking forward to this meet, but have today had some bad news from my  boat surveyor. He has just returned from abroad and is unable to carry out my survey until mid July. I have spent most of the day on the telephone trying to arrange comprehensive insurance cover, but all have said that without the surveyors report the underwriters will not underwrite the risk. I do have basic boat insurance (third party) for this boat, but now that the engine is fitted I definitely need fully comp which I cannot get at present. Thanks for your offer Steve, Ian Andy and Neil for your offers of help. Sorry chaps, I have been looking forward to meeting you all and displaying my M&S Chinos.A very glum.  Geoff. 

Sad news indeed Geoff. 
And then there were 7. 

17 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Ahh, @Geoff, that's sad news indeed. Could you consider coming down without the boat? I'm sure there would be room on board with one of us for you and Joyce to participate if you could find some overnight accommodation.

You could uninvite Jon and make room! 🤣