The experimental bait thread.

20 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

How do you rig them Jon?

The pre rigged use the hooks with a small lead on the hook, apologies for the pic, didn't want to open a new packet !!! The rusty hook in this one is ready for the bin. Zerek make a much better prawn style plastic which can be used as a weed less lure.

IMG_4867.thumb.JPG.f72e80c83af7ca69d5a9fa2bb5d43d99.JPG

IMG_4871.thumb.JPG.b53c6c2884d82df5859694ec3f3f9a6b.JPG

Edited by JDP

Are vibes popular back there ? Here they come in all shapes and sizes targeting most species and are extremely effective, one of those big improvements that came along a few years ago but still work well now they have moved into the soft plastic and hardbody vibe style. The downside here is they are so good that they demand a pretty high price, which can be costly when toothy things get them first!!!

vibes like these in the picture have two hooking points so they can be used as drop lures or casting surface lures, their action is extremely vigorous.

IMG_4739.thumb.JPG.743c1f4a39b27492e4d2db7d29782398.JPG

Most marine aquarium fish food is about 4x the price of tropical fish food,most people feed their fish mussel meat cockles prawns etc.  it would be costly. You would need so much it would be ridiculously expensive. I know you can’t put a price on a good dogfish though. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, OrkneyCorkney said:

I mashed up some cat food (Herring and Salmon flavour) that I use in my freshwater ground bait. Cheap, adds bulk and has strong smell.  Carp Roach Ide etc seem to like it.

Might be worth trying that out in a groundbait bag for salt species 👍

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Tin of sardines and a tin of tuna in brine. Flour and play pit sand. 

Sounds delicious. Are you going to mould it around a stone to help it stay put on the bottom?

2 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Sounds delicious. Are you going to mould it around a stone to help it stay put on the bottom?

Yeah and probably around a hook too, just to see what goes for it. 
Ive also got some earth worm I’ve collected and some fresh in shelled prawns. Along with the normal fresh mackerel and rainbow trout. 

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yeah and probably around a hook too, just to see what goes for it. 
Ive also got some earth worm I’ve collected and some fresh in shelled prawns. Along with the normal fresh mackerel and rainbow trout. 

👍👍

12 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

@Saintly Fish sounds like you're well in your way to making boilies there, if moulded around the hook, maybe a carp glug to dunk in to enhance flavour trail would work as well? Going the boilies route would stop your bait washing away

I’ve tried it a couple of times this morning and it’s Ming off the hook. Either being nibbled off or washing away I can’t tell. A bit more stickiness is needed I think.