up tiding ?

Well, this focus on mono seems to be to be all about getting the lead to dig in, which physically speaking, could be achieved with the same diameter braid or maybe an extra long length of leader.

Not sure I could ever go back to mono straight through - just seems so antique.

And as for casting with braid, the shore boys seem to manage fine at 100+ yards, so I reckon I'll be ok at 30-50. Happy to be persuaded otherwise though.

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

Well, this focus on mono seems to be to be all about getting the lead to dig in, which physically speaking, could be achieved with the same diameter braid or maybe an extra long length of leader.

And as for casting with braid, the shore boys seem to manage fine at 100+ yards, so I reckon I'll be ok at 30-50. Happy to be persuaded otherwise though.

It's whatever works for you. 

Here is Lyme bay we don't uptide, never seen anybody using that method.

We normally fish in 60 - 80ft of water and if I want to fish away from the boat then I select a lead that will hold bottom but also trott away from the boat downtide which is usually about an ounce or two  less than a lead which keeps you vertical fishing.

31 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

A big problem with casting braid from the boat is that when retrieving a heavy load be it a decent fish or a load of weed the braid can bed in of good attention is not paid to the line lay leading to casting disasters.  This can be negated by a level wind but that creates it’s own problems for casting. The guys you see casting from the shore, are you talking about multipliers or fixed spool?

20 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Here is Lyme bay we don't uptide, never seen anybody using that method.

We normally fish in 60 - 80ft of water and if I want to fish away from the boat then I select a lead that will hold bottom but also trott away from the boat downtide which is usually about an ounce or two  less than a lead which keeps you vertical fishing.

Does this not just end up kiting? I like to know that my lead is on the bottom. 
Bear 🐻 in mind though that uptiding or boat casting is generally considered a tactic for shallow water to get away from the noise of the boat. 

10 minutes ago, JonC said:

Does this not just end up kiting? I like to know that my lead is on the bottom. 
Bear 🐻 in mind though that uptiding or boat casting is generally considered a tactic for shallow water to get away from the noise of the boat. 

No, never had an issue with tangles, however, the selection of lead type and size is critical for trotting back in the tide. We tend to use cannon ball leads and quite stiff short fluoro hook lengths.

TBH, the tactic is very effective if there are a couple of rods fishing vertical, as the fish find the trotted bait first.

The only casting I do from the boat is lure fishing for Bass on the estuary sandbar, and for Pollock on a couple of shallow reefs.