Spooling station

12 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

It’s for big game reels and hollow core braid. Just get Leo to hold the spool between a pair of gloves to add tension while you wind or vice versa! 

🤣 he was helping today but just kept moaning his fingers aches. Easier to just buy another station. 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Never seen this ever.

May come from my fresh water side, certainly a thing loading match reels with light lines. My local matchman and tackle shop owner passed that one on to me....

May also be why I'm so used to putting tension on using thumb and finger while reeling.... 2nd nature and all that

Edited by suzook12

i use the old glove tecneak myself. then let the line troute out a lot fearther then norm and real in sloley moving the line side to side

i youse  senter spoll for beach fishing,  so i dont seem to have a problem there

I use a bees knees line spooler. These are used in just about every tackle store over here that loads line on customers reels.

These have the same drag systems found in Shimano tiagra reels except these have a slip drag system both sides of the spool line. The plastic spool the line is supplied on doesn't slip at all against the metal cones, its the drag inside the metal cone that slides. Exact constent drag settings can be set to suit any line class for any type of reel (multi, spin, electric etc). 

They are a little expensive but if you spool up reels regularly for yourself or friends they are a good investment that makes life very easy. 

With mine I tend to leave several spools on it to save having to fully unwind the tension knob for a small spool. Bulk spools left on it are simply taped to stop the line coming off the spools when filling from another spool.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2021 at 12:27 PM, JDP said:

I use a bees knees line spooler. These are used in just about every tackle store over here that loads line on customers reels.

These have the same drag systems found in Shimano tiagra reels except these have a slip drag system both sides of the spool line. The plastic spool the line is supplied on doesn't slip at all against the metal cones, its the drag inside the metal cone that slides. Exact constent drag settings can be set to suit any line class for any type of reel (multi, spin, electric etc). 

They are a little expensive but if you spool up reels regularly for yourself or friends they are a good investment that makes life very easy. 

With mine I tend to leave several spools on it to save having to fully unwind the tension knob for a small spool. Bulk spools left on it are simply taped to stop the line coming off the spools when filling from another spool.

Thanks to the recommendation of @JDP and @Ivan Tuna I ordered one. 

Fantastic piece of kit. Not cheap but will last for years.

If you’re spooling small beach reels it’s over kill but for a 50W Penn international for mako it’s going to be great. 

Also my small reels with 20lb braid for reef pollack and tope I’m going to want to get the braid well bedded in to avoid breakage. 

Im sure a few mates may want to borrow it too....

Mine has several spools of line left on it to save unwinding those tension knobs all the way. I put tape around the bulk spools so the line doesn't come off as I wind any of the choices of line that are on it. Unlike almost any other methods people use no heat is transferred to the spool how ever hard you tighten down the pressure, so no risk of damage to the lines.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Terry Smith said:

Been selling these for years at Jigabie. 

The best re-spooling equipment out there.

https://jigabite.co.uk/productspds.aspx?sectionID=154&mv=11&sn=10

BeesKneesSpooler.jpg

Not sure the wife will appreciate me screwing that to the coffee table though. Even if I do explain how good it is! 

5 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Not sure the wife will appreciate me screwing that to the coffee table though. Even if I do explain how good it is! 

That,s what sheds are for Neil. Geoff.

Posted at the same time as Terry - he types a bit faster than I do. Geoff. ☺️

Edited by Geoff