Transducer anti foul

My replies from Hempel.... 

Neil

Firstly, thank you for your Hempel purchases. I’m glad to hear you’ve had good results with Hard Racing. As for your transducer, if the unit is bronze you should be ok, the product shouldn’t interfere with the workings at all, if you’ve got a nylon/plastic transducer I have concerns that the solvents in the Hard Racing, which are quite aggressive, may damage the unit.

I’ve attached a copy of our paint manual which should answer any of your questions but, please do feel free to contact me directly if you’ve any further queries

Regards

Adrian

Hi Adrian
Many thanks for your swift response. Yes the transducers are of a plastic construction. I realise that AF’s of old were more “toxic” than the newer green versions. So, are there still a lot of corrosive chemicals in the new variants ? I thought most were more water based so less fierce? 

Neil

They’ve certainly reduced the “nasties” in antifoul, but they’re still essentially copper, pigment, resins and solvents. They’re all solvent based I’m afraid, and it’s those bits that concern me with a plastic txdcr. I’ll check with a few yards I know and see what experience they’ve had, it must be a fairly common issue. Give me a few hours and I’ll get back to you

Neil

Just checked with a couple of applicators and they’ve all overcoated plastic txdcrs without any issues. It’s probably worth testing a bit before proceeding though

Good luck

Ok, thanks Adrian. Last question.... do Hempel do a primer specific for plastic ? In your booklet only metals, Grp and woods are mentioned! 

Neil,

You can you Light Primer on many plastics, only use a thin coat as the solvents are strong. If you’re using this on your transducer you’ll also need a thin coat of Underwater Primer as a tie-coat between the 2.

2 hours ago, Odyssey said:

I’ll email my MP.... not sure why, I can’t think of anyone else to email and need to look busy like the rest of you.... 😬

9/10, much better than your usual jokes, but posted in the wrong section. You will get the wrong thread police (JC) chasing you down soon. Geoff.:classic_wink:

Another quick google search finds:
Can you Antifoul a transducer?
Yes, it is recommended that you use an antifouling paint that does not contain ketones, all International Paint antifouling products are suitable as they don't contain ketones.

The commonly used ketones in paints and coatings are: acetone, methyl ethyl ketone (MEK), methyl isobutyl ketone (MIBK) and isophorone. Other uses for Ketones: Acetone and MEK are components of solvent mixtures in neoprene, nitrile rubber, and urethane industrial adhesives.

Some of these chemicals are very aggressive which would make me wary of using them on plastic.  The plastic may not melt immediately but it could over time go brittle.  Apparently International paints do not contain any of these keytones so maybe a better choice

7 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Got this from Airmar....

We recommend a coating called foulfree.

https://www.airmar.com/productdescription.html?id=223 

Airmar Tech Support
Airmar Technology Corporation
35 Meadowbrook Drive
Milford, NH 03055
Phone: 603-673-9570
Fax: 603-673-4624

The best bit is $40 for a tube that covers 1sq’ . Perfect, right up Fisty’s street. Fuck it, do the whole boat in it! 

So Garmin have very lazily responded by copy and pasting the web material into an email . But it does back up what @Maverick was saying. 

Hi Neil,

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

In certain environments, namely salt water, Garmin recommends painting the transducer with a water based, anti-fouling paint.

Anti-fouling paint helps to hinder marine growth and maintain transducer performance. This also helps in boat maintenance by lowering the costs associated with hauling a boat for cleaning.

Garmin recommends only using a water based, anti-fouling paint. Ketone-based paints should never be used. Ketone-based paints can weaken many plastics and possibly damage the transducer.

Please note: Garmin does not recommend painting the paddlewheel portion or any moving parts of a transducer as this can cause restriction.

If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know

Kind regards,

Robbe

Marine Technical Support

Garmin Europe

I’ve emailed international paints today because they say their AF paints can go on plastic transducers... 

https://www.international-yachtpaint.com/en/gb/support/boat-paint-expert-advice/applying-antifouling-to-transducer

But I’m asking them now about their Primocon primer.

7 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

I’ve emailed international paints today because they say their AF paints can go on plastic transducers... 

https://www.international-yachtpaint.com/en/gb/support/boat-paint-expert-advice/applying-antifouling-to-transducer

But I’m asking them now about their Primocon primer.

I have used Primocon on other stuff, and it is really good, a very tough paint, so much so, that we painted a hull with it after striping of the antifoul, it was so successful that it   was never over painted with a top coat. This was a trailer boat.

Most of the other anglers that I know on the estuary with moored boats don't antifoul their transducer, 99% of them just give it a clean a few times per season by just leaning over the stern / bathing platform ...... is that not an option ?

5 hours ago, GPSguru said:

I have used Primocon on other stuff, and it is really good, a very tough paint, so much so, that we painted a hull with it after striping of the antifoul, it was so successful that it   was never over painted with a top coat. This was a trailer boat.

Most of the other anglers that I know on the estuary with moored boats don't antifoul their transducer, 99% of them just give it a clean a few times per season by just leaning over the stern / bathing platform ...... is that not an option ?

Unfortunately for me it’s not no, my arms don’t stretch that far back and down under my swim platform . If I wanna clean it in need to get in and go under the platform. I’ve done it before, but there is only around 6” clearance so I have to hold my breath and go under. I’m not keen on that A, because the waters Fing freezing and B, constant boat traffic up and down the river makes the boat bob up and down, so risk of getting a smack on the top of the head is real. 

51 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Unfortunately for me it’s not no, my arms don’t stretch that far back and down under my swim platform . If I wanna clean it in need to get in and go under the platform. I’ve done it before, but there is only around 6” clearance so I have to hold my breath and go under. I’m not keen on that A, because the waters Fing freezing and B, constant boat traffic up and down the river makes the boat bob up and down, so risk of getting a smack on the top of the head is real. 

I think it’s worth the risk. I’m prepared to live with the consequences of you going in. 

This is interesting....... answers from International paints with regards to primocon..

Hi

Can you confirm whether or not your primocon primer contains any ketones or not? 

Thank you 

Hi Neil

Primocon has no ketones just checked with R&D.

Regards

Martyn Bridge

Thank you Martin. Then would you say it’s safe to paint onto a transducer ? 

Regards

Hi Neil

Yes I would say it is.