My Colvic 20

mike farrants

• 3 weeks later...

got my A2 buoy, alderney ring, 150m nylon rope, flare pack and the guy who sold the boat to me is going to take me out tomorrow and show me it all - plus we might dangle a hook over the side while we are at it!

excited is not the word!

almost a false start - went to run her up friday night ahead of going out saturday morning and noticed the solar charger display said the battery was 11.9v - she wouldn't start - so a quick trip to Halfords and a new battery on 12.8v and she fired up on first turn of the key - disaster avoided! 

I replaced like for like battery - However the old one was a leisure battery- I didn't think they should be used for heavy loads like starting engines? I might be wrong though as i haven't a clue- all i know is I have a starter battery and a leisure battery in my Van and they are different - can anyone shed any light?

5 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

almost a false start - went to run her up friday night ahead of going out saturday morning and noticed the solar charger display said the battery was 11.9v - she wouldn't start - so a quick trip to Halfords and a new battery on 12.8v and she fired up on first turn of the key - disaster avoided! 

I replaced like for like battery - However the old one was a leisure battery- I didn't think they should be used for heavy loads like starting engines? I might be wrong though as i haven't a clue- all i know is I have a starter battery and a leisure battery in my Van and they are different - can anyone shed any light?

@suzook12 is our resident battery expert, so I'll leave him to respond re: start vs leisure batteries. Might be worth investigating why your battery voltage dropped to begin with though otherwise it'll happen to the new battery too.

Oh, and how did it go on Saturday then??

ok on to the trip - started at 7am on saturday 28th Feb Weymouth marina, got her warmed up and and sorted out the anchor, buoy and ring. Foredeck was like an ice rink but it was a gorgeous morning! loaded up with gear and supplies and headed off the pontoon at 9am.

chugged out for a few miles (about an hour) to a mark my mate showed me - accompanied by a small pod of dolphins - dropped anchor and started fishing the ebb - squid and mackerel on simple ledgers - fishing started brilliantly, with me pulling in a strap conger on the first drop with one rod and then a starry smooth-hound on the first drop of the 2nd rod. My mate had a decent Thornie on his first drop. 

I had 2 smoothies & 2 congers, and he had 3 thornies - I was using smaller baits and shorter traces than him -- but seemed odd he had his species off one side i had a different species off mine! 🙂 

I struggled to hold bottom in the tide with 8oz weights so had to double up for a while (i dont have anything bigger yet - its on the list)

things went quiet at slack water then picked up a bit as the flood started - between us we then pulled in pouting, whiting, and one Dog.

pulled up the anchor at 3.30pm with the alderney method = he drove and i pulled in the rope but twice it pulled back through - so after the 2nd failed attempt we hand balled the anchor up to find the chain had tied a knot or loop in itself that wouldnt go through the alderney ring - very strange as we had let it out slowley when we dropped anchor - only thing I can think is it either piled up on itself after the first failed lift? or perhaps the anchor spun and twisted the chain into a knot? very odd.....

We got back to the marina at 5pm and packed up - after a thoroughly brilliant day!  learnt so much and got a bit more used to handling the boat.

IMG_6524.JPG

Edited by mike farrants

2 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

ok on to the trip - started at 7am on saturday 28th Feb Weymouth marina, got her warmed up and and sorted out the anchor, buoy and ring. Foredeck was like an ice rink but it was a gorgeous morning! loaded up with gear and supplies and headed off the pontoon at 9am.

chugged out for a few miles (about an hour) to a mark my mate showed me - accompanied by a small pod of dolphins - dropped anchor and started fishing the ebb - squid and mackerel on simple ledgers - fishing started brilliantly, with me pulling in a strap conger on the first drop with one rod and then a starry smooth-hound on the first drop of the 2nd drop. My mate had a decent Thornie on his first drop. 

I had 2 smoothies & 2 congers, and he had 3 thornies - I was using smaller baits and shorter traces than him -- but seemed odd he had his species off one side i had a different species off mine! 🙂 

I struggled to hold bottom in the tide with 8oz weights so had to double up for a while (i dont have anything bigger yet - its on the list)

things went quiet at slack water then picked up a bit as the flood started - between us we then pulled in pouting, whiting, and one Dog.

pulled up the anchor at 3.30pm with the alderney method = he drove and i pulled in the rope but twice it pulled back through - so after the 2nd failed attempt we hand balled the anchor up to find the chain had tied a knot or loop in itself that wouldnt go through the alderney ring - very strange as we had let it out slowley when we dropped anchor - only thing I can think is it either piled up on itself after the first failed lift? or perhaps the anchor spun and twisted the chain into a knot? very odd.....

We got back to the marina at 5pm and packed up - after a thoroughly brilliant day!  learnt so much and got a bit more used to handling the boat.

IMG_6524.JPG

Nice one Mike. Sounds like you had a top day out. If that’s you in the photo you look well chuffed!! 👍🏻

Quality result! I'm more than a little envious. Well done on the fishing and the learning. It's always a mixture of excitement and nervousness on your first trip out on a new-to-you boat - glad that it all went smoothly.

As for your anchor chain knot - did you anchor up at or near slack water? There's a (very slim) chance that the chain could have formed a loop on its way down that then settled right over the anchor, which would have pulled tight once the tide started to run. Likely a one in a million chance though so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Shame about all those unwanted species but well done on your dogfish - you must be super pleased! I know I would be... 😉🤣

More reports and pics next weekend please, assuming you can get out. For those of us who aren't local to our boats reports like these keep us going 👏👏

yeah that's me in the pic and yes i was well chuffed - what a specimen first fish to bring aboard (we t-barred the conger at the side) 

couldnt say the dog was the target species but happy to catch anything!

we anchored in a flowing tide and went astern as we dropped the anchor - it deffo wasn't tied up as it went over the side - so who knows - as long as its not a common occurrence as that was hard work!

True leisure batteries shouldn't be used for starting, however, many are not true leisure batteries and can handle both.... If it has a CCA rating, then you can guarantee it is good for starting.

11.9V is very discharged, could just be an old battery not holding its charge, could be it's been on charge for too long without being cycled. Hard to say if boat is new to you, just keep an eye on it for now. If it happens again, then you may well have a current draw somewhere pulling the battery down.

12 hours ago, Hooked1980 said:

May I ask how your anchor is attached to the warp and at the anchor?

Does it have any form of swivel joint to take the twisting out?

no swivel joint no, and its a danforth so quite a bit of surface area - I did wonder about a swivel - its attached with a D shackle to a hard eye spliced in the rope.

i'll get a swivel before the next trip -  any suggestions on type and where to buy?

Stainless steel anchor swivel

one of these ^? should I use lock tight on the screws?

and should it be at the anchor end of the chain or the rope end of the chain? as this is more streamlined than a d shackle surely this will go through the alderney ring easier too?