It's home

Geoff

18 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Here you go Geoff, they are pushed together and can be quite tight

Carling.thumb.jpg.6c8dae1f885ff5617951877b505adda8.jpg

Thanks Ian. I really pushed hard today, but they seem solid so I thought there was perhaps a tab to depress. I am able to get the switches out, but whilst I could not find anything stopping the holders from separating I just could not shift them. Geoff.

10 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Thanks Ian. I really pushed hard today, but they seem solid so I thought there was perhaps a tab to depress. I am able to get the switches out, but whilst I could not find anything stopping the holders from separating I just could not shift them. Geoff.

The old trick was to place them on the edge of a table with the one you want to remove hanging over the edge. |Then gently tap to holder to be removed using a a small pin punch right at the join on the table edge ...............

However, in comparison to the price of the switches, the holders are cheap to replace.

You will not find a better switch 👍

Thanks again Ian, I am sure that I could get it apart the way that you have said. As I am swapping a deep narrow panel for a wide shallow panel I had thought that I would run the switches in two shorter tiers. I will have to cover the hole left by the Chinese panel. I have now decided to leave the 7 wide Carling panel as it is and mount a vhf radio (if I can get one at a decent price - new or used) and make a carbon fibre panel to fit them into and cover what is left of the existing hole. I may well fit new activators (switch tops) as they do seem to be available. Geoff.

Edited by Geoff

I have cut some 10mm closed cell foam insulating panels and glued them in between the WH roof ribs. I shall stick another layer of the same material underneath and fill/seal all the joints to the ribs and roof perimeter. I have laid up a couple of thin FG sheets which I intend to cover with pvc roof lining material and fix to the underside. Sadly the weather is going to take a turn for the worse this coming week which will probably slow me down- if that is possible!!! I also need to buy a vhf set, where is the best place for a bargain. There are a couple listed on the bay around the £200 mark, but what is the best value decent set likely to cost? Geoff.

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

I have cut some 10mm closed cell foam insulating panels and glued them in between the WH roof ribs. I shall stick another layer of the same material underneath and fill/seal all the joints to the ribs and roof perimeter. I have laid up a couple of thin FG sheets which I intend to cover with pvc roof lining material and fix to the underside. Sadly the weather is going to take a turn for the worse this coming week which will probably slow me down- if that is possible!!! I also need to buy a vhf set, where is the best place for a bargain. There are a couple listed on the bay around the £200 mark, but what is the best value decent set likely to cost? Geoff.

You just gotta hit lucky mate, I bought my standard horizon with inbuilt GPS on offer at £130, a month later they were £200...

Thanks for info Steve. I have to be honest, but I do not have a clue when it comes to Modern equipment. I am not looking for the cheapest, but the best value for money, I do love a bargain. Geoff.:classic_wink:

Standard Horizon have a good rep, that's why I bought one.... The 1400 has built in GPS so there it supplies it's own position data when deploying the red button. A few extra pounds sees you with AIS as well, though I believe that's receive only

I recently bought a Cobra F77 for the wee boat.  Have fitted the VHF up inside the roof of cuddy but not sorted the antenna fitting yet.

Was a simple process to get it ‘attached’ to the boat Ofcom licence and an MMSI number issued.  They sorted a ‘t’ number for the original handheld VHF that I had, meaning it can be used on other boat / kayak. 

Cobra F77

Hi OC, the Cobra's were some of the ones that I was looking at on the bay. I would like to find one with the GPS, DSC and AIS options included, but I shall have to wait and see what turns up. Glad to hear that you managed to get yours fitted and registered so quickly. Geoff.

Edited by Geoff

5 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Hi OC, the Cobra's were some of the ones that I was looking at on the bay. I would like to find one with the GPS, DSC and AIS options included, but I shall have to wait and see what turns up. Glad to hear that you managed to get yours fitted and registered so quickly. Geoff.

Ahh, you’re after a posh one then 😆.  Ofcom online was very simple to add new VHF to current licence. I did think it would be hassle but actually very quick.  There is a chat option if you need to clarify anything with them.  Also a good opportunity to review all the information that’s registered as Coast Guard has access to this in case they need to send a search party to a distress from an MMSI station.  You no doubt know all this so apologies.  

1 minute ago, OrkneyCorkney said:

Ahh, you’re after a posh one then 😆.  Ofcom online was very simple to add new VHF to current licence. I did think it would be hassle but actually very quick.  There is a chat option if you need to clarify anything with them.  Also a good opportunity to review all the information that’s registered as Coast Guard has access to this in case they need to send a search party to a distress from an MMSI station.  You no doubt know all this so apologies.  

Thanks for your comments OC. I do not yet have a boat registered or a VHF license, so I am totally unaware about what exactly I do need to get sorted in the next month or so. I am not really after a posh one. As it will be the last one I ever buy I would like all the goodies, but want a real bargain. Geoff.☺️

53 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Thanks for your comments OC. I do not yet have a boat registered or a VHF license, so I am totally unaware about what exactly I do need to get sorted in the next month or so. I am not really after a posh one. As it will be the last one I ever buy I would like all the goodies, but want a real bargain. Geoff.☺️

I’ve heard there are some bad delays at ofcom, so you must as well register now and join the waiting list 

All happened online very smooth. You can print off the licence.  The portable VHF (which had been the main radio on the Orkney) had to have a new licence in its own right to get the T number so it can officially be used on other boats (the kayak) as well as a back up on the main boat.  I was registered already so perhaps that’s why the process was easy and quick.

Now getting the owner details changed on the SSR number for the sailing boat was a different matter - took ages and there’s a fee.   

14 hours ago, Geoff said:

Still need to fit antenna on cuddy roof but want to get boat out of garage to determine exactly where to drill holes etc.  As we’ve had snow on ground for last two days it doesn’t look like I’ll be doing it for a while.  

https://www.bosunbobs.com/en/gb/Standard-Horizon-GX2200E-AISGPS-Fixed-VHF-Marine-Radio/m-2135.aspx?PartnerID=29&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=UnitedKingdom&gclid=CjwKCAjwjbCDBhAwEiwAiudByyG9V6QMlvFn7kzCXW5m8yef4Dow41i_-7f_2VnseWz2_oxX08LdcxoCBrQQAvD_BwE

This is the SH with both AIS and GPS

Just bare in mind the AIS is receive only, if you want TX and RX AIS then you need an AIS unit....

An AIS that talks to your plotter would show you where any boats are in relation to you

• 3 months later...

As I posted elsewhere I was unable to take my boat to the Hamble meet as the insurance company insisted that I needed a survey prior to getting cover. The suirvey was carried out this morning and I should get a copy by Friday. No point in posting any more pics as she still looks the same!!!  Geoff.☺️ 

10 hours ago, Geoff said:

As I posted elsewhere I was unable to take my boat to the Hamble meet as the insurance company insisted that I needed a survey prior to getting cover. The suirvey was carried out this morning and I should get a copy by Friday. No point in posting any more pics as she still looks the same!!!  Geoff.☺️ 

Got any pictures? 

On 2/4/2021 at 4:52 PM, Geoff said:

As the pre Offshore Outlaws forum members all know,  my project is not a fixer upper, but a new build 18' fast fisher that I started in the early days of Christendom. I have been working on this boat on and off for the last 6 years. The boat was laid up and kept in the yard at my friends fibreglass works. He has just sold his workshop and is moving into smaller premises. Rather than take my boat there I decided that that I would get it home as all the FG work is finished (and has been for a while). The boat is now sitting on its trailer on my driveway. When the weather gets a bit warmer work on her should restart. Watch out Pete - I am sneaking up on you. Geoff.:classic_wink:

im not doing a thing im to hot