It's home

Geoff

Hey Geof, thats a dam big looking 18 boat, is it actually 18ft or like some boats gets a name not true to its length (my own boat being one).

If you don't mind me asking there are a couple of things in the photos that look a little hard to make out.

First is number one which looks like a plank with a gap under it.

Second, no 2 is the section that looks a few mm lower than the other part of the transom, was this perhaps a well for an outboard.

Third question in relation to the added on pod, is the pod flush with the bottom of the hull or raised. If raised have you had a marine architect give the all clear or having it raised. Having looked into jacking plates in the past Ive always been put off them after seeing reports on the extra stress putting an engine further out out from the stern. The figures I saw were something 80lb of extra transom pressure for every inch out from the stern, which puts a huge amount of extra stress on the transom if you were to use the likes of a 10ins jacking plate. I know many builders get over this by lowering pods so they run flush with the bottom of the vessel.

2020821610_ScreenShot2021-07-22at6_22_28pm.thumb.png.77643c71e0cd10cbb0a9b2a9136bb500.png

13 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Launch rolling over another season then Pete? Too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry 🤷🏻‍♂️

now that could be an idear. seeing the price of boats ect have gone up so much, it might get stolen out there on the water

On 7/22/2021 at 9:44 AM, JDP said:

Hey Geof, thats a dam big looking 18 boat, is it actually 18ft or like some boats gets a name not true to its length (my own boat being one).

If you don't mind me asking there are a couple of things in the photos that look a little hard to make out.

First is number one which looks like a plank with a gap under it.

Second, no 2 is the section that looks a few mm lower than the other part of the transom, was this perhaps a well for an outboard.

Third question in relation to the added on pod, is the pod flush with the bottom of the hull or raised. If raised have you had a marine architect give the all clear or having it raised. Having looked into jacking plates in the past Ive always been put off them after seeing reports on the extra stress putting an engine further out out from the stern. The figures I saw were something 80lb of extra transom pressure for every inch out from the stern, which puts a huge amount of extra stress on the transom if you were to use the likes of a 10ins jacking plate. I know many builders get over this by lowering pods so they run flush with the bottom of the vessel.

2020821610_ScreenShot2021-07-22at6_22_28pm.thumb.png.77643c71e0cd10cbb0a9b2a9136bb500.png

Hi JDP, thanks for your comments. The boat length is exactly 17' 11" measured at rubbing strake height and the beam 2.4m. The pod does then extend back a further 600mm (excuse me mixing the dims in imperial and metric). She does always seem to be bigger, but I just put it down to clever use of space!!!

The hull is based on an American design which was rated at 225HP inboard or outboard, and of the 4 other boats produced from the moulds 2 have IB/OD and 2 have outboard engines fitted. At 115 hp my boat will have the smallest engine of all five.

1 - there is no gap under that deck plank, but it is planted on (your gap is in fact a fillet radius) and is part of the raised cockpit coaming.

2 - that section was also added to increase the transom freeboard.

3 - The pod is slightly raised above the bottom of the hull as this allegedly allows the prop to run in cleaner water. This pod was a bought in item rated up to 150HP by the manufacturer and I am aware of at least a half dozen other users that are very pleased with the performance. What is not shown is that after these pics were taken (will show up when I take the final pics) is the transverse platform which is very stiff is bonded and bolted to the transom and pod and has a 25mm SS brace at each end. 

Edited by Geoff

Thanks Geoff. Funny you mention it being an American hull mould, as it looks very much like what Haines and Bertram use over here, also from the US. If they are related and they certainly look very similar, they are considered one of the best hulls. Many manufactures produce vessels from this but alter the hull by 20% in order to rebrand the name.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

@Geoff, you've been quiet lately. Are you giving @captin slows old outlaw a chance to catch up? 

No Neil, Pete has no chance, but I am still waiting for the Mercury dealer to come and check out my possible recall. this weeks excuse was something to do with a hospital examination, but it is now promised for next week. Anyway she is now finished (are they ever finished?) and I am part way into making a day camper from an old VW t5 shuttle that I have recently bought!!! Geoff.:classic_wink:

Mercury engineer was here today and all is ok with the engine. I ran a hose down to the boat and we ran the motor with muffs for about a minute. Peeing well and sounds great, if a little loud out of the water. after he left I took a couple of pics from in the WH as the sun was shining. Geoff.

DSCI2410 50%.jpg

DSCI2411 50%.jpg

DSCI2412 50%.jpg

DSCI2415 50%.jpg

DSCI2422 50%.jpg

Thanks Andy - yes she is basically ready for the water now. No electronic gizmos, but my trailer knows it's way around! I am trying to get someone to 5d carbon wrap the screen surrounds and to possibly apply her name and some (demure) graphics. Geoff.

52 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

So when is the big day going to be?

Hopefully within the next couple of weeks, but my RR is on sorn and will be going up for sale soon which means I shall have to get someone to tow the boat for me. The intention is to get a towbar fitted on the old transporter (shuttle) that I am making into a sort of day camper and that will be used for towing. Geoff.