porbeagles

DINOBOY

Last year in my area there was a fairly good presence of porgies, so this year im going to target them specifically. I have a 20lb class I.G.F.A. rated standup rod built for me by Stan Massey of alba rods some years ago would this handle a porgie coupled to a Shimano TLD20?? if so what line would anyone recommend to go with the outfit? or do I need to rethink and go heavier??  

Nah that’d do it.

Im supposed to have some rods built by Stan. I’ve already got a 30lb class, 20lb will cope but for the big girls (200lb+) a bit heavier would be useful. 

where are you fishing? 🙂 

This might be a dumb question, but as a sharking newbie... is the method for porbeagles the same as for other species of shark? What sort of ground do they like to cover? Time of year etc?

2 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

This might be a dumb question, but as a sharking newbie... is the method for porbeagles the same as for other species of shark? What sort of ground do they like to cover? Time of year etc?

Yes, chumming and 2 or 3 rods at staggered depths. They are easier to target as you can often get them in shallower water than the blues, but the waiting game is longer as there are less of them than Blues. We tend to drift in 100ft of water across a line of wrecks spread over about 5 miles, as that tends to be one of their favourite habitats.

\very often, at least a few times a year, when wrecking and retrieving a hooked Pollock, the rod will go solid as a Porgie grabs it and all you will be left with is the head of a 8lb Pollock.

Here, we can get them from late May to December ........... but you really need stronger tackle than Blues, as Porgies can grow to 500lbs plus. I have seen a few 10/0 hooks straightened (not mine though !)

• Like 1

Seems you have some very decent fishing down that way Ian, between the wrecking and the sharking and the occasional BFT. 👍

I'm half tempted not to sell Apache after all and instead keep her in Devon for when we visit family down there. 🤔🎣

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Seems you have some very decent fishing down that way Ian, between the wrecking and the sharking and the occasional BFT. 👍

I'm half tempted not to sell Apache after all and instead keep her in Devon for when we visit family down there. 🤔🎣

True, pretty much all the South Devon / South Cornwall coastline offers pretty good fishing, especially with a good dose of local knowledge.

However, we rarely get tope, we rarely get large smuts, and Black Bream can be quite difficult to find.

Porgie fishing is hard. You’ll get more blank days than successful. 

Most of our fishinbis Celtic deeps but porgies are on the rise, just need to fish different locations. April-June best for us. 

Wrecks reefs broken ground where they can ambush fish is what you’re after. 

If you’re out Devon way go chase some blues. Good fun less blank time than porgies and easier to handle. Else it’s north Devon/Cornwall.... short drifts around the reefs