Come on then... who's out at the weekend?

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

In all seriousness, are we staying with the 27th even though it's now just 5/6 of us if @Andy_B is still coming? 
Or try to switch to a date 2 weeks later so the tides are similar?

The Driver bloke is going to think we’re taking the piss. 

Nope, sorry all. Mrs135 does the lion's share of childcare duties in our house, and it's the least I can do to make Mother's Day feel special for her. Changing the Mother's Day date just won't cut it. Sure, she'd say she's ok with me spending all weekend away, but I know she'd secretly be quite hurt.

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Nope, sorry all. Mrs135 does the lion's share of childcare duties in our house, and it's the least I can do to make Mother's Day feel special for her. Changing the Mother's Day date just won't cut it. Sure, she'd say she's ok with me spending all weekend away, but I know she'd secretly be quite hurt.

Well my Mrs will be happy to do it the weekend before or after. She not into occasions that are commercially pushed on us. But understand your thoughts. 

I would like to be out the weekend, but I am struggling with the electrical fault on the Jeep.

It is definitely not the indicator stalk, the Body Control Module, or the towing light module.

I am now going back to my original thoughts of a bad earth.

However, in the process of changing the BCM under the dash, I found a major set back today. I lifted the driver's side carpet and there is a lot (I mean a lot) of sea water in the footwell that has soaked into the sponge like sound deadening carpet backing. The loom to the rear runs up a channel in the middle of the floor, and it was full of water. Unfortunately there are splices in the loom (common manufacturing process) and although covered with glued heat shrink, they have been underwater for some time. Currently, the driver's seat is out, and the carpets have been squeegeed (to remove most of the excess water). Now I have placed towels under them to try and draw out more water.  I think I have removed about 1.5L of water !

Although the water does taste salty (the tongue tip test), the floor pan has stood up remarkably well and there is very little rust showing.

I launch with waders on, and I can't imagine they have put that much seawater in the car. I think this might go back a couple of summers ago when I was launching in long shorts, and they were getting very wet. Now I always wear waders.

It is time to break out the wiring diagrams ...........

I have a central locking issue on my VW transporter and the feedback that I get from T4/5 forum members is that it is likely to be from connector corrosion in part of a small loom located UNDERNEATH the carpet under the drivers seat, so I suspect that wires underneath a car carpet are often likely to cause some continuity faults. Geoff.

7 hours ago, GPSguru said:

I would like to be out the weekend, but I am struggling with the electrical fault on the Jeep.

It is definitely not the indicator stalk, the Body Control Module, or the towing light module.

However, in the process of changing the BCM under the dash, I found a major set back today. I lifted the driver's side carpet and there is a lot (I mean a lot) of sea water in the footwell that has soaked into the sponge like sound deadening carpet backing. The loom to the rear runs up a channel in the middle of the floor, and it was full of water. Unfortunately there are splices in the loom (common manufacturing process) and although covered with glued heat shrink, they have been underwater for some time. Currently, the driver's seat is out, and the carpets have been squeegeed (to remove most of the excess water). Now I have placed towels under them to try and draw out more water.  I think I have removed about 1.5L of water !

Although the water does taste salty (the tongue tip test), the floor pan has stood up remarkably well and there is very little rust showing.

I launch with waders on, and I can't imagine they have put that much seawater in the car. I think this might go back a couple of summers ago when I was launching in long shorts, and they were getting very wet. Now I always wear waders.

No, it's time to sell the jeep. 

@GPSguru- i cant help with the electrical fault - but socks full of cat litter will soak the water out the carpet nicely - i've done this on the floor of my beetle which had rain get in via a blocked sunroof drain - you have to keep refreshing them but they soak it up nicely, i also use these for condensation in the camper van.

10 hours ago, GPSguru said:

I remember my old XJ had the leccy seat issues due to undercarpet wiring faults.

It also had the VM overheating issues and the VM I'm gonna stop in the middle of nowhere  with bent pushrod and missing cam drive teeth issue. All leading to the taken away by the pikies issue 🤣

5 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

I remember my old XJ had the leccy seat issues due to undercarpet wiring faults.

It also had the VM overheating issues and the VM I'm gonna stop in the middle of nowhere  with bent pushrod and missing cam drive teeth issue. All leading to the taken away by the pikies issue 🤣

British engineering at its best... 😖

4 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Except Jeeps aren't British, and the VM engines are Italian.... Other than that..... 🤣

My apologies, I appear to have erroneously credited you with taste and sophistication: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_XJ