Shimano ocea jigger.

The Ocea Jiggers are designed as a silky smooth compact reel specifically aimed at SPJ and light jigging with incredible reliability.

Expensive, yes but scaling down component sizes while maintaining these attributes requires better, more expensive materials. 

The Talica is a great all-round reel but isn't  a fair comparison.

Totos post from Anglers secret service is describing the Older Ocea Jiggers back in 2013 and they were good reels then. 

22 hours ago, Terry Smith said:

The Ocea Jiggers are designed as a silky smooth compact reel specifically aimed at SPJ and light jigging with incredible reliability.

Expensive, yes but scaling down component sizes while maintaining these attributes requires better, more expensive materials. 

The Talica is a great all-round reel but isn't  a fair comparison.

Totos post from Anglers secret service is describing the Older Ocea Jiggers back in 2013 and they were good reels then. 

So aren't the new ocea jiggers as good now (2020) versions. From what Ive heard the latest ones improve over the last model. I was using the Jigging master versions but have since sold on my multi versions. I do have an ocea on order ( new grey model ) for deep jig work in 300-500m, thought I would give one a try to be better experienced on how they compare to some of the other small jiggers I've owned. Will be used with the 2021 Shimano grapplers. 

Edited by JDP

10 hours ago, Terry Smith said:

I probably should have written that they were good "even" then.

The newer versions have improved more.

I notice that most people change the handles on the silver 1500 models as they are considered to short but the grey models already come with the same longer handles standard. 

Which model do you use ?  My concern going off almost every Shimano reel I own would be that the usable drag system is bellow what they claim, which would make 7kg possibly 4-5kg in real life. I notice many serious jiggers seem to mention upgrading the drag straight away to carbontex to actually get those upper claims of 7 and 10kg. This seems a bit crazy that people are spending relatively big money only to upgrade handles and drag systems in new reels. In saying that I don't remember to many fish pulling much line from my days of wrecking around the English Channel but they don't need to pull much to get back into a wreck if they are hooked close to it. When I went to pick up one a couple of days ago they only had the 1500 and 3000 but Im keen on having a look at the 2000 before I decide which I will get, the silver models don't seem to be available in many stores anymore only these grey models with the extra thumb tensioner. 

IMG_4931.thumb.jpg.4211d3ad2af08ab50fea363cdf66ee7b.jpg

7kgs is easily achieved with the 1500 size once the drag washers have bedded down. Its true to say that from new the MAX drag is likely to be a bit less as all the drag components and the newly greased surfaces need to form together.

This is no different to any drag system especially a Star Drag.

For the UK, 7kgs is excessive and unlikely to ever be required so I would not worry about the need to upgrade for UK use.

Guys making such upgrades I would assume need the extra drag for warmer water species?

The 1500 size would be first choice for UK work but some guys also use these reels on their overseas travel so I would then advise the 2000 sizes .

Unless money is no object, then one of each?

I'm not 100% sure about the available colours, all I can say is the catalogue shows the 1500 in grey and the 2000 in silver but I only have the 2020 catalogue.

Hope this helps

Terry, Jon is in Aus, so I guess that not getting full drag would make a big difference for him.

They look a well made piece of kit, as we would expect of Japanese built Shimano, but I bet there is a hefty price tag that comes with that

ive never maxed out a drag by locking it down, all its going to do is part your mainline 'if your gear is balanced' I think its an important part of the design for the drag setting to be realistic and not over the stated maximum. if a fish needs to run you gotta let it, if you need more drag than you have you are using the wrong gear! 

2 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Terry, Jon is in Aus, so I guess that not getting full drag would make a big difference for him.

They look a well made piece of kit, as we would expect of Japanese built Shimano, but I bet there is a hefty price tag that comes with that

I think everyone has heard that Jon is in Australia, not a secret. 

29 minutes ago, DINOBOY said:

ive never maxed out a drag by locking it down, all its going to do is part your mainline 'if your gear is balanced' I think its an important part of the design for the drag setting to be realistic and not over the stated maximum. if a fish needs to run you gotta let it, if you need more drag than you have you are using the wrong gear! 

The button that looks like a clicker ratchet on the side is actually a full lock button that stops the spool from turning, so full lock using this is truly full lock meaning it will go above the drag rating if you need to break out of a wreck or other snag. 

2 hours ago, JDP said:

The button that looks like a clicker ratchet on the side is actually a full lock button that stops the spool from turning, so full lock using this is truly full lock meaning it will go above the drag rating if you need to break out of a wreck or other snag. 

by locking down I meant winding the star wheel up to lock the drag up, ive seen so many people fish like this all the time and lose some cracking fish, usually popping the hook or breaking the trace line because they are using mainline way over the reels rated usage and the drag wound up to the max. IMHO 75% of anglers use gear way over the top for the fishing they are doing, and thats a fact here in the uk. 

3 minutes ago, DINOBOY said:

Well the 1500 came very quickly from  Japan, then last week a mint 1000hg dropped into my lap locally for the princely sum of £200 bargain if I say so myself lol. 

Who knew reels were like buses eh? Well done 👍

19 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Who knew reels were like buses eh? Well done 👍

Ha yeah I know mate, but you just can’t leave them there all lonely now can you 🤣🤣🤣 I have 4 ocean’s now that should suffice 🤔🤔🤔

19 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

That is a fall control lever. The jiggers are indexed star drag.

I might stick with maxels as I very much prefer lever drag.

Yes, now I am sat in front of my pc screen I can see the star that Andy so kindly highlighted for me. When I originally looked it was on my iPhone, and I have ever decreasing eyesight!! :classic_huh:

13 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes, now I am sat in front of my pc screen I can see the star that Andy so kindly highlighted for me. When I originally looked it was on my iPhone, and I have ever decreasing eyesight!! :classic_huh:

From bitter experience, FFS get your feck’in vision fixed asap.

The difference just having my right eye fixed is incredible, You sometimes just don't realise how bad your eye sight is.

If you dont want specs, then contacts are very good these days.

TBH, I use specsavers as locally their opticians have got a very good reputation. They saved by daughters eyesight when a live virus vaccine splashed into her eye. They did everything right and the hospital did the rest.

Edited by GPSguru

5 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

From bitter experience, FFS get your feck’in vision fixed asap.

The difference just having my right eye fixed is incredible, You sometimes just don't realise how bad your eye sight is.

If you dont want specs, then contacts are very good these days.

TBH, I use specsavers as locally their opticians have got a very good reputation. They saved by daughters eyesight when a live virus vaccine splashed into her eye. They did everything right and the hospital did the rest.

I have glasses Ian. Trouble is they are a relatively new addition to my life (well a year), and I keep forgetting to take them with me.