Trailer brakes

Well done Andy, it just goes to show the difference an hours work can make. I suspect that if you follow the advice from Ian they will go on now without having to butcher the shoes. Good luck anyway. Geoff.☺️

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Well done Andy, it just goes to show the difference an hours work can make. I suspect that if you follow the advice from Ian they will go on now without having to butcher the shoes. Good luck anyway. Geoff.☺️

It's far from "butchering" if done properly with the right technique, linishing shoes with a hacksaw is a time tested method used widely in my industry mainly to deglaze brake shoes ready for MOT.

The aim is not to use the blade to saw but used more like a file.  You actually have much more control of the amount of material you remove than using electrical tools plus you don't need to remove the shoes from the vehicle. 

Hi SE2012. I was not referring to deglazing brake shoes I am aware that that used to be quite common practice and is probably still done today, especially in the classic car world. I suspect that the shoes will fit in the drum now that Andy has them cleaned up and removed any lip - after all they fitted before removal. My butchering concerns were Andy and his 60 grit flapwheel. Geoff. ☺️

11 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Hi SE2012. I was not referring to deglazing brake shoes I am aware that that used to be quite common practice and is probably still done today, especially in the classic car world. I suspect that the shoes will fit in the drum now that Andy has them cleaned up and removed any lip - after all they fitted before removal. My butchering concerns were Andy and his 60 grit flapwheel. Geoff. ☺️

Far be it for me to speak up for the super mod as he most likely deserves everything he gets,  but there is a growing and concerning trend of back chat towards members of the SLT. 
I will be clamping down on such lip henceforth. 

23 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Just felt I'd better explain as some reading may have thought the hacksaw is used to saw material off the shoe 

27 minutes ago, JonC said:

Far be it for me to speak up for the super mod as he most likely deserves everything he gets,  but there is a growing and concerning trend of back chat towards members of the SLT. 

Knew we could count on you Jon 👍🤣

1 hour ago, JonC said:

And who/what is the SLT?? Sphincter Licking Team??

Dissappointed there wasn't enough hammering going on!!

Tell ya what Andy, had you had posted them pictures up before hand, would say that was a classic case for shot blasting...... Never mind, they should go on nice and easy now.

Edited by suzook12

7 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Tell ya what Andy, had you had posted them pictures up before hand, would say that was a classic case for shot blasting...... 

Funny you should mention that. The same idea occurred to me after I'd taken the pics. Would have been so much quicker and easier.

Still, as I don't have a shot blasting set up this was the quickest way for me to get them done. I can hopefully get them back on the trailer tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

And who/what is the SLT?? Sphincter Licking Team??

Dissappointed there wasn't enough hammering going on!!

Tell ya what Andy, had you had posted them pictures up before hand, would say that was a classic case for shot blasting...... Never mind, they should go on nice and easy now.

The senior leadership team, we’re the ones that keep you safe at night, keep the bad people away. You have no idea just how much I do behind the scenes. 

29 minutes ago, JonC said:

The senior leadership team, we’re the ones that keep you safe at night, keep the bad people away. You have no idea just how much I do behind the scenes. 

Hours of agonising and organisation go into making you lot feel safe. It’s just not appreciated. 

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

Hours of agonising and organisation go into making you lot feel safe. It’s just not appreciated. 

I must admit, I don't feel safe...... I feel like I will be smothered by a man wielding candy stripe cushions and wearing OO sliders 🤣

Can't believe how much effort some people will go to on something that will turn to rust again as soon as it gets saltwater near it. Galvanised disks are easy to clean with a hose and will normally outlast the trailer, for about fifty quid with bearings already fitted and greased. Its knowing the breaks will work when you need them that is important to me.

753049732_ScreenShot2021-04-19at8_59_47am.thumb.png.a6cb3af80afc116788d8b6857e8839e0.png

7 minutes ago, Gordmac said:

What operates the disc brakes on the trailer? When they started fitting disc brakes to cars they had to fit servos to get the pedal force down.

To comply with UK construction and use the brakes have to be completely mechanically operated.

As I understand it, currently there are no approved UK disk brakes for trailer use, however, this is about to change as a new disc braked Aluminium axle has been manufactured and is currently going through all the approval procedures.

There are a couple of manufacturers in the Netherlands that do disc braked trailers, also with oil filled hubs, and quite pricey. These are able to be used in the UK because they are TUV approved.

Shoe linings are too thick. You can see the line where the drum fits only so far and when I rotate it it wears the lining.

prQv8oK.jpg

Annoyingly whilst I have a junior hacksaw blade with me it will take forever and a day to scrape away the lining (I tried and got nowhere fast) and I don't have my respirator with me so I cant use my flap wheel.

On the up-side, there's enough movement of the shoes that I reckon I can flap wheel them in situ. But that's a job for another day when I have the respirator.

10 hours ago, GPSguru said:

To comply with UK construction and use the brakes have to be completely mechanically operated.

As I understand it, currently there are no approved UK disk brakes for trailer use, however, this is about to change as a new disc braked Aluminium axle has been manufactured and is currently going through all the approval procedures.

There are a couple of manufacturers in the Netherlands that do disc braked trailers, also with oil filled hubs, and quite pricey. These are able to be used in the UK because they are TUV approved.

This was discussed on a fb group the other day, someone said all types other than over run with a cable are illegal? The yank trailers often have hydraulic brakes? 

1 minute ago, JonC said:

This was discussed on a fb group the other day, someone said all types other than over run with a cable are illegal? The yank trailers often have hydraulic brakes? 

Yank trailers have electric brakes.

But yes, the brakes have to be over-run in the UK, via a damped coupling.

1 minute ago, GPSguru said:

Yank trailers have electric brakes.

But yes, the brakes have to be over-run in the UK, via a damped coupling.

I didn’t read into it too much as I don’t have a trailer, but I’ve heard the drums can be problematic? 

14 minutes ago, JonC said:

I didn’t read into it too much as I don’t have a trailer, but I’ve heard the drums can be problematic? 

Anything that you dunk in sea water on a regular basis without washing it afterwards is always going to be an issue.

My trailer has a hub wash system that flushes the brakes with a hose. This seems to prolong the life of the brake internals quite considerably.

14 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Anything that you dunk in sea water on a regular basis without washing it afterwards is always going to be an issue.

My trailer has a hub wash system that flushes the brakes with a hose. This seems to prolong the life of the brake internals quite considerably.

I seem to remember the Australian guy didn’t rate the that much? But I guess different climates affect things 

@JDP

40 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Shoe linings are too thick. You can see the line where the drum fits only so far and when I rotate it it wears the lining.

prQv8oK.jpg

Annoyingly whilst I have a junior hacksaw blade with me it will take forever and a day to scrape away the lining (I tried and got nowhere fast) and I don't have my respirator with me so I cant use my flap wheel.

On the up-side, there's enough movement of the shoes that I reckon I can flap wheel them in situ. But that's a job for another day when I have the respirator.

Don't look overly thick Andy, You sure everything is fully backed off, and nice and clean so shoes can centralise? And some free play in the brake cable?

4 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Don't look overly thick Andy, You sure everything is fully backed off, and nice and clean so shoes can centralise? And some free play in the brake cable?

Yes to slack, yes to brake lever being off, yes to centralised shoes. I'm scratching my head as to what else to try other than removing some of the linings.