Another boat down on our local bar

The town is starting to fill with tourists (6 weeks of Xmas hols). This influx at this time of the year attracts hundreds of extra boats, with many owners lacking experience in bar crossings. Today the conditions were actually very good but still a 6m boater got it wrong sinking another boat and needing rescuing for the crew. I think the fact we get so many tourists from Melbourne who've been in lockdown has made them anxious to get out among the kingfish. Like I said though, conditions were good, going to be an interesting holiday period!!!

2 hours ago, JDP said:

The town is starting to fill with tourists (6 weeks of Xmas hols). This influx at this time of the year attracts hundreds of extra boats, with many owners lacking experience in bar crossings. Today the conditions were actually very good but still a 6m boater got it wrong sinking another boat and needing rescuing for the crew. I think the fact we get so many tourists from Melbourne who've been in lockdown has made them anxious to get out among the kingfish. Like I said though, conditions were good, going to be an interesting holiday period!!!

Do they recover most of the capsized ones or is it littered with boats? Most be an environment problem all the crap in the water? 

1 hour ago, JonC said:

Do they recover most of the capsized ones or is it littered with boats? Most be an environment problem all the crap in the water? 

Most boats have built in buoyancy, so get recovered. This one is on the bottom in a tricky spot with boat traffic but Im pretty sure I could find it easy enough and bring it back up with air bags and a dive buddy of mine. Trouble is what to do with it at the surface and getting it back though the bar. There's most likely a heap of fishing gear scattered around it and the forecast looks poor most of the week.