New rudder!

Among other things I had to do today I fitted my new rudder. A friend pointed out that on big following seas it was coming out and I was getting pushed down and across the face of the swell and in danger of broaching, its the same for kayaks without rudders but they can steer by bracing with the paddle but I have peddles and fins.

Its quite a lot bigger...

20240102_115414.jpg.80a877878979ebba4412748eb7c8e753.jpg

Any downsides to the larger rudder? Is it still as easy to launch etc? I can see it’s bigger than the other one but does it increase your draft? 

3 hours ago, JonC said:

Any downsides to the larger rudder? Is it still as easy to launch etc? I can see it’s bigger than the other one but does it increase your draft? 

It's on a special system, you launch from the beach with it "stowed" and using a conventional paddle until you are in deep enough water to drop the drive into place, but just before you pull the rigging line that pulls it off the deck and twists round into place. If you hit a line or shallow water it will move backwards against a tensioning line. It's called twist and stow by Hobie.

I've not tried it yet but they also give finer control rather than having to steer on a regular basis. 

Yes, 16ft revolution. I saw some of the cats when I went down to Poole to pick mine up and I could get a sail for mine but the amount of time I could use it would not make it cost effective, they also do a trimaran called the adventure island with a similar hull to mine which can be peddled and sailed.